Range Rover.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Range Rover.

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:28 pm The other thing is that the start button is just a 'button' that slots into the regular ignition slot. Indeed, when I bought the car it was even missing, so I just used the regular key to start it. I bought the button online for about £20 and it just slots in - no coding or anything.
I was aware of the button being something that just fits into the normal key slot (it's not exactly a normal key of course, being that stumpy Merc key with the block end which is quite nice and they have used for aeons). Had no idea that it was so generic that it didn't need coding though; how on earth does it work?
Simon

Re: Range Rover.

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:53 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:28 pm The other thing is that the start button is just a 'button' that slots into the regular ignition slot. Indeed, when I bought the car it was even missing, so I just used the regular key to start it. I bought the button online for about £20 and it just slots in - no coding or anything.
I was aware of the button being something that just fits into the normal key slot (it's not exactly a normal key of course, being that stumpy Merc key with the block end which is quite nice and they have used for aeons). Had no idea that it was so generic that it didn't need coding though; how on earth does it work?
It's just a 'trigger' for the engine to start - when it does so it still goes looking for the presence of the key, as I understand it. It won't work without the key nearby.
The artist formerly known as _Who_