Tedious but traditional New Car thread

MikeHunt

Re: Tedious but traditional New Car thread

Post by MikeHunt »

As much as I love the E46, the F20 is a massive step up in many ways, a much better daily and massively over engined (a good thing in my book).

A lot of car for the money too.
Beany

Post by Beany »

LOL adrian flux want £1900.

Fuck off Adrian Flux.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Just get a panel filter, paint the wheels grey and get a tuning box, job jobbed and insurance procured 8-)

Looks a nice car from the previous thread, I've driven a couple and they're very old school fun for what's a relatively modern car, the gearbox remap seems to make a big difference, my friends has a gearbox map and some kind of engine tuning box which was very popular at some point, and it certainly goes well enough, infact too well for the rest of the car to keep up with, I think suspension and brakes are probably what's needed first on these.

Edit, that insurance is ridiculous, my XF is £370 and the a similar value and power to the 135, and I'm younger than you, seems odd.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Congrats Beany 8-) that's lovely car to upgrade to!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, that was with a £1000 excess, too. Apparently Adrian Flux don't want to insure a standard car for a 40 year old with 12 years NCB and no convictions in a small town in the north of england :roll:

I know insurance is going up, but that's a fucking joke.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I had dumb quotes from everyone - thankfully SI were ok with my boring standard car.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:02 pm Yeah, I had dumb quotes from everyone - thankfully SI were ok with my boring standard car.
Clearly I should have bought in November, eh?

Darwin - another £1900 quote.

Guess the £1400 or so from the comparison sites is where I'm heading...
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

When I’ve looked on comparison sites, there’s sometimes cheaper options from insurance companies I’ve never heard of. Do the comparison sites check the actual companies out or is it just at your own risk?
Cheers,

Ian
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

They usually have a defacto rating too, which I presume gives some sort of checking/qualification. I only get the 5 star ones because I presume you'd have to be properly shit to not get 5 stars!
Beany

Post by Beany »

See other thread, Admiral Direct winning so far..!

Edit: BMW Flex in the lead now, by a nose
Last edited by Beany on Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:35 pm They usually have a defacto rating too, which I presume gives some sort of checking/qualification. I only get the 5 star ones because I presume you'd have to be properly shit to not get 5 stars!
It isn't a service rating, just an assessment of the features and benefits included. A low rating is just a more basic policy/feature set without any view of how the company is to deal with or whether the price is reasonable.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

And with that, Beany hits the automotive big time 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

What, you mean a Puma and E46 330ci weren't the big time?

Philistine :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Thinking of the @Beany I first encountered in 2005/2006, I'm pleased to see you stepping into THE BIG LEAGUES of TURBOTCHARGED GERMAN CHARRIOTS.

There's also something that pleases me about a car staying within the forum.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Apologies Beany, missed this thread completely! Like I said when we went out, I’m 100% certain it has been breathed on. It is a lot quicker than my previous one and the engine note is definitely not the valves jammed open. I’d get used to it as is for now then see if you want to go down the even more power route. There is no comparison between my 330ci and it, it will light up the rears at silly speeds in the damp so get used to it and practice your dab of oppos!
Beany

Post by Beany »

" A dab of oppo, and I was upside down in a ditch, on fire"

Zonda is now, of course, cycling to his job seeing as I'm buying his car.
John

Post by John »

Nice 8-)

Have you tried LV for insurance? They are modification friendly too with a tick box form for various modifications which makes declaring them very easy.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

John wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:14 pm Nice 8-)

Have you tried LV for insurance? They are modification friendly too with a tick box form for various modifications which makes declaring them very easy.
LV are always nsane prices for me, for instance they are £1350 for this compared to the £520 cheapest . Direct line are always bizarrely high too.
Beany

Post by Beany »

As far as I'm concerned, previous owner (Zonda) didn't map it, previous owner has no direct evidence of being mapped, so until I prove otherwise, it may well just be a particularly healthy example that's adapted the engine and gearbox to being driven hard on high octane fuel - which is something these cars do. Zondas old one could have had a sticky throttle body (something that is a thing that gets grumbled about on the forums) for all we collectively know.

In short, I'm not declaring a mod based on bum dyno, sorry all :lol: I'm pretty sure that's the sort of logic you lot used to give me shit for ;)

I am going to get it checked though, I don't want to find out it's been decatted at an MOT, which sods law would dictate would happen just before i need to do a 300 mile work trip. I'll work out where I'm going from there.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

LV also only give you proof of 9 years' NCB no matter how many years more than that you have when you insure with them. I've made a complaint to the FCA about this practice; they're not alone in doing it but it does mean the customer loses out when insuring in future with a company that takes into account more than 9 years' NCB.