EV Thread

Barry

Re: EV Thread

Post by Barry »

I'm waiting for the end of year fleet emissions fines to bring a swathe of cheap EV lease deals tbh, current one goes back mid month and currently nothing appealing in the price range I'm willing to cough up.

I'd take another Niro but not paying £100/m over current prices :evil:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm It's also because they're shit.
What makes them shit? Former colleague had one, and apart from the reverse tardis interior it felt like a premium SUV.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:34 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm It's also because they're shit.
What makes them shit? Former colleague had one, and apart from the reverse tardis interior it felt like a premium SUV.
They have an incredibly poor range, and to compound that they are slow to recharge and the range display lies. They also depreciate worse than pretty much any other car. I know a couple of people who have had them and came to really dislike them.

GLC is fine, with an engine.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Don't they have a large number of vehicles with coolant leaking into the drivetrain and Mercedes current view is to keep topping it up?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Carlos wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:53 pm Don't they have a large number of vehicles with coolant leaking into the drivetrain and Mercedes current view is to keep topping it up?
Is that the EV version? Eek if so!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:45 pm
Carlos wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:53 pm Don't they have a large number of vehicles with coolant leaking into the drivetrain and Mercedes current view is to keep topping it up?
Is that the EV version? Eek if so!
Yes. I've read of a few cases on EV forums and quite concerning as regards the longevity of the vehicle.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If it's leaking into the drivetrain I can't imagine electric motors and water lasting very long at all. I think the whole EQ line of cars is utter shit. From the EQS down.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Do a quick search and a lot comes up.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

New Taycan revealed..

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... and-939bhp

Halving the 10-80% time whilst increasing battery size is impressive. Maybe car mags should list this range (80-10%) as the day to day figure, with it’s max range added to the notes?
Cheers,

Ian
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Barry wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:30 pm I'm waiting for the end of year fleet emissions fines to bring a swathe of cheap EV lease deals tbh, current one goes back mid month and currently nothing appealing in the price range I'm willing to cough up.

Ora Funky Cat is being relaunched with a new name and they are moving on the old badged ones.

Lease 24x£167 Inc Vat.

Cheap motoring with no outlay to try and EV.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Carlos wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:54 am
Barry wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:30 pm I'm waiting for the end of year fleet emissions fines to bring a swathe of cheap EV lease deals tbh, current one goes back mid month and currently nothing appealing in the price range I'm willing to cough up.

Ora Funky Cat is being relaunched with a new name and they are moving on the old badged ones.

Lease 24x£167 Inc Vat.

Cheap motoring with no outlay to try and EV.
Just saw that on the Youtubes yeah, a relative bargain if that's what you want. It would feel like a step back after my Niro though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

As a proper domestic-appliance-second-car for popping to the shops in, that would be "fine" I guess. Certainly for the money. How much up front?

Edit: No outlay? So nowt up front? That is pretty bargaintastic for effectively a brand new shopping shitter.
Barry

Post by Barry »

If you wanted a runabout 2nd/3rd car you could do much worse yes, but worth remembering this is a new marque to UK so dealers/servicing might be an issue. They get good reviews though, and that price is likely a monthly fuel bill for most ppl anyway..
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Tesla Model Y is still available on a 'cheap' lease deal if you fancied it Barry - not as cheap as lease deals used to be but it's a more expensive car than the Funky Cat.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Isn't the Funky Cat extremely irritating to drive on the road due to its poorly calibrated safety systems which bing, bong and beep almost continuously? Maybe they've updated them, but it didn't seem promising when I saw the original review :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

£167 of petrol a month will do plenty of commuting - without have to look like you're driving a car that looks like it belongs in a children's cartoon.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:34 pm £167 of petrol a month will do plenty of commuting - without have to look like you're driving a car that looks like it belongs in a children's cartoon.
You've come across quite straightlaced recently Rich, more of a RichB Corduroy than RichB Shorts :D
Last edited by Carlos on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

First time out meeting clients in person in England since before lockdown. Decided to prove the infrastructure is there and took the i3 ;)

Range is probably 150 miles in this weather and it was a 210 mile round trip. Charged overnight at home, 40kw was £6.25, drove 90 miles in about 2 hours first thing and was ready to stop for a coffee and a bacon roll, topped up 20kw in 25 minutes on a rapid whilst checking my emails and having my breakfast. Rapid at Sedgemoor South was 79p kw so £15.80 :( but it worked and i was the only one using a charger, there were 4 but older only 50kwh max which is surprising for a busy services with a massive car park and petrol station etc, not really an issue for me as that's the maximum for the i3 and its only a small battery.

Went onto the clients and then straight home without stopping arriving with 5% (7 miles) left on battery. Success 8-)

So basically no bother, £22 in fuel instead of £44 assuming 30mpg in a petrol and no compromise in driving style.

Take that Daily Mail.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I would quite happily have a funky cat for the commute IF I could charge for free at work.

The petrol savings would make it effectively free and save wear and tear on the cars I actually like. Would absolutely just be an appliance though.

But I can’t, and I guess by the time you add increased electric bills I’d rather just drive one of my old sheds.
Cheers, Harry