Re: Tedious but traditional New Car thread

Post by IanF »

Nice one Beany!. Need to buy suitable attire now 😉
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

IanF wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:42 pm Nice one Beany!. Need to buy suitable attire now 😉
I've already got a vape, do I need to get a tracksuit too?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:01 am
IanF wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:42 pm Nice one Beany!. Need to buy suitable attire now 😉
I've already got a vape, do I need to get a tracksuit too?
///M yes
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sigh, OK, but you're not getting me to do any exercise.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 am Sigh, OK, but you're not getting me to do any exercise.
Don't worry about that. For the demographic that wears that as a lifestyle choice, exercise doesn't come into it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

You will have to listen to Busta Rhymes.

Dave!
tim

Post by tim »

Excellent. They are lively at speed. Live long.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Excellent.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Solid purchase
mik

Post by mik »

tim wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:18 am Excellent. They are lively at speed. Live long.
Is that tamed by the Litchfield sus, or only partially? (Not that I expect that's a logical cost for a not-new car - unless things are tired already anyway).
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yes and Birds are probably better known for a reasonably priced Bilstein set up. Someone on here has a Birds car.

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m140i/202709/ ... -hot-hatch

My M140i didn't have a the bolt on x brace underneath which Beanys may have as an earlier car and there was noticeable twist in the chassis when accelerating hard.

You'll have a ball in that, nice purchase 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Apparently the current thinking is much (much) stiffer rear subframe bushings, to prevent the rear end from moving around quite so much, is the best way to stop the back from getting all loose and wobbly at speed, but as I tend not to drive that fast over backroads any more it shouldn't be an issue. The rear bracing would also no doubt help, I have read about that - not in any detail as yet but it's literally a bolt on if it's not there, apparently.

Obviously they're tweekable, with ~400hp being doable with a rolling road map/intake/exhaust (about a grand?) but without an LSD, and on standard suspension, I think I'll get familiar with 320bhp first. :lol: that, and while there's not been many reported problems, that particular ZF8 is torque limited, and even a basic remap blows past that limit easily....

Primary use for the car will be pootling about town, and what I'll pompously call 'mild GT work' - IE in a couple of weeks I'm going down to Devon for work, I expect the ZF8 and comfort suspension mode - and a fixed roof - will make it rather less grating a run than doing it in the E46, I won't be worried about it suddenly deciding the wipers won't want to work, and it should get 10mpg better in Eco mode, too....
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Carlos wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:49 am Yes and Birds are probably better known for a reasonably priced Bilstein set up. Someone on here has a Birds car.
Had - that was @DaveE before he bought his Boxster GTS.

Beany, nice one - and the busiest thread on here for ages 8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:57 am Apparently the current thinking is much (much) stiffer rear subframe bushings, to prevent the rear end from moving around quite so much, is the best way to stop the back from getting all loose and wobbly at speed, but as I tend not to drive that fast over backroads any more it shouldn't be an issue. The rear bracing would also no doubt help, I have read about that - not in any detail as yet but it's literally a bolt on if it's not there, apparently.

Obviously they're tweekable, with ~400hp being doable with a rolling road map/intake/exhaust (about a grand?) but without an LSD, and on standard suspension, I think I'll get familiar with 320bhp first. :lol: that, and while there's not been many reported problems, that particular ZF8 is torque limited, and even a basic remap blows past that limit easily....

you won't be doing any of this. Just drive the car and enjoy it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:05 am you won't be doing any of this. Just drive the car and enjoy it.
Oh 95% both of that.

There's lots of info on how to fix little things like that now the cars a bit older, though, so it's handy to keep an eye on such things.

Polybushes in the back made the Puma significantly more stable at speed, but to be fair, rear subframe bushes are not a one hour job to do, etc, I don't drive like that any more, etc.
Last edited by Beany on Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Does it come with a shitty stick so you can beat away the Lidl ladies (or was it Aldi?) as they all try and cram into your back door?
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

No, I expect them to swoon theatrically and beg me to do them up the wrong 'un.

Oh, and of course it's Lidl. I have some class....
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Nice one @Beany

Congrats on the new car!

And yeah, it was me who had the Birds kit fitted to my M140i

I had their suspension kit, an LSD, and the rear subframe brace (oddly the 3 doors come with this, but not the five doors - the latter of which maybe need it more)

It's not cheap, but it totally transformed the car

Genuinely one of those "Within 20 yards you can feel the difference" kind of changes

I specifically chose a fixed damper model knowing that I was going to get the Birds kit fitted, and never regretted it

I also had a mod fitted that allowed wireless Car Play and Android Auto too (while retaining the original screen etc) - another worthwhile upgrade

Oh, and the shift paddles are easily removed/upgraded too - there are loads of options that make a real difference as they stock ones are really stubby and plastic feeling. You can also fit the ones from the M2 as I had as well...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Well, if it were modified it might help, seems Safely Insured are only accepting new quotes on cars with at least three modifications, and can't do a multicar policy :roll:

I know the insurance will be - notably - more than the E46 but that's a complete ballache, and as far as I'm aware the car doesn't have any particular mods that would count (brakes, zorst, etc)

To other insurers I go I guess.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I must say (and forgive me if this is out of order) but 4 years ago, "Old Job" Beany would never have been in the market for a 135i.

Bloody marvelous I say!!!

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…