EV Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: EV Thread

Post by Jobbo »

That’s going to damage existing Taycan residuals further. It’s also evidence of the obsolescence of EVs as soon as they get an upgrade, like yearly phone updates. Leasing looks like by far the best option for something like this so you don’t end up saddled with an unsaleable obsolete EV which cost you £100k a couple of years before.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Macan will be the Taycan killer in the same way the Model Y is now the only Tesla you see.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:25 pm The Macan will be the Taycan killer in the same way the Model Y is now the only Tesla you see.
The Y is offered with a much lower interest rate
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:25 pm The Macan will be the Taycan killer in the same way the Model Y is now the only Tesla you see.
I hadn’t realised Porsche were going to update the Taycan with the tech from the EV Macan so quickly though. I think you’re right; I hope that means a gen2 Taycan Cross Turismo with 360 mile range is now coming at a sensible price.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:04 pm
I hadn’t realised Porsche were going to update the Taycan with the tech from the EV Macan so quickly though. I think you’re right; I hope that means a gen2 Taycan Cross Turismo with 360 mile range is now coming at a sensible price.
I wonder if that extra range is simply because of a bigger battery as opposed to some fundamental advance though?

I'm not sure that bigger batteries really solves anything

It would have been like putting ever bigger petrol tanks in cars rather than making the engines more powerful and at the same time, more efficient

I guess what I'm thinking is, when you look how far the petrol car advanced, even in the last 20 years, is there really that much potential left untapped in BEVs?

Will the latest BEVs in five years' time really be much better than the ones we have now?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Different starting point, there’s less gains to be made on a car which is already fitted with 90+ % efficient drivetrain vs one which was only 20% to start with.

The only way then to increase range is either a bigger battery pack or a more energy dense pack which occupies the same volume/weight. The former is simple, the latter is happening in very small incremental steps but the main factor right now holding it back is that it’s extremely expensive.
Nio have made a semi-solid state battery which is now going into series production, it’s a halfway house so it’s not as crazy expensive as a full solid state battery but they’ve managed to fit a 150kwh battery into the size of a 100kwh battery and it only weighs 20kg more.
https://insideevs.com/news/701526/nio- ... harge/amp/
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:20 pm I wonder if that extra range is simply because of a bigger battery as opposed to some fundamental advance though?
The efficiency looks better based on that article as well as the battery being bigger. But still some way behind Tesla - I only recently realised how much Tesla make a year on year efficiency improvement when I watched a direct comparison of a brand new Model 3 against a pre-facelift, and a comparison of pre-facelift against early Model 3. They might look the same but the later a car you buy, the better (well, in terms of efficiency; taking off the parking sensors was a silly move).
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Aero and tyres are an easy gain but joe bloggs wants an electric X5 with 295 width tyres. There needs to be a reset of what people want aesthetically to make EV's work.

The Model Y and the new Polestar 4 seem to be progress by giving people lofty driving position, airy cabin but in a suv coupe type aero efficient design.

People my wife included are clinging to the idea of nipping to the shops in a 4wd dirty diesel monster truck!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Stick the new Taycan on i3 wheels and it may do 500 miles :lol:
Aero is crazy is on EVs. For a while the model 3 was using 50w per mile more electricity which was a 15% increase in consumption. Thinking it was a sticky caliper I opened it all up, cleaned the brakes, fresh grease, still no improvement. Only then I noticed 1/4 of one section of fabric under tray was torn off. New fabric under tray ordered and refitted and it was back to running at 330w per mile.
Definitely don't want to get a Mansory body kit on your EV!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I may as well have a moan here about it. Only 1 type of rear tyre available for the i3S, £450 a pair ffs :roll:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The pre-facelift Model 3 didn't come on eco tyres though; they came as standard on Michelin Pilot Sport 4. The facelift is on Michelin e-Primacy which must make a bit of a difference, but the old version still did very good efficiency figures.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:44 pm Different starting point, there’s less gains to be made on a car which is already fitted with 90+ % efficient drivetrain vs one which was only 20% to start with.
This is kind of what I mean, there's not really a massive amount of potential left on the table when it comes to EVs

I happened to watch the CarWow review of the new VW ID7 this morning, and he kind of made a point I was trying to: that basically, all EVs perform and drive basically the same - the drive trains all feel and work basically the same

It kind of made me think of the early days of cars where you could buy a rolling chassis and then take it to a coachbuilder

It's like that, but the rolling chassis isn't high-end anymore, it's a basic, electric "skateboard" kind of thing

Like buying a rolling chassis for a 1.2l Micra and then taking it to a coach builder :)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

DaveE wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:40 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:44 pm Different starting point, there’s less gains to be made on a car which is already fitted with 90+ % efficient drivetrain vs one which was only 20% to start with.
This is kind of what I mean, there's not really a massive amount of potential left on the table when it comes to EVs

I happened to watch the CarWow review of the new VW ID7 this morning, and he kind of made a point I was trying to: that basically, all EVs perform and drive basically the same - the drive trains all feel and work basically the same

It kind of made me think of the early days of cars where you could buy a rolling chassis and then take it to a coachbuilder

It's like that, but the rolling chassis isn't high-end anymore, it's a basic, electric "skateboard" kind of thing

Like buying a rolling chassis for a 1.2l Micra and then taking it to a coach builder :)
Mitsouka got you covered.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... an-jaguar/
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:44 pm Nio have made a semi-solid state battery which is now going into series production, it’s a halfway house so it’s not as crazy expensive as a full solid state battery but they’ve managed to fit a 150kwh battery into the size of a 100kwh battery and it only weighs 20kg more.
https://insideevs.com/news/701526/nio- ... harge/amp/
Tested in sub zero °C temperatures with the interior kept at 20°C, at realistically normal average speed, and retrofittable to any of their cars - impressive 8-)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Some serious depreciation for 40000 miles.. £80k new, iirc. £24k now

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401296020994
Cheers,

Ian
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

IPace's are even cheaper, I really wanted one but I can't have something so temperamental at home when I'm away, and they are flaky at best.

I bet those Mercs are decent cars, a long way to fall money wise though I imagine.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

IanF wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:41 am Some serious depreciation for 40000 miles.. £80k new, iirc. £24k now

I believe they have unresolved issues with cooling.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:41 am Some serious depreciation for 40000 miles.. £80k new, iirc. £24k now

Do a search on Auto Trader for an EQC with under 500 miles and see what a 'new' one should really sell for. £45k it seems. I believe Merc dumped a load into the market for about £40k each (might even have been new and unregistered) which has absolutely hammered used values. Plenty more will be coming off 3yr lease/PCP deals shortly too.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s just a Covid shortage legacy when car prices went nuts. Every one seemed to have to buy a new car and camper for some reason and manufacturers charged whatever they wanted.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It's also because they're shit.