UK base jumper in Thailand

mik

UK base jumper in Thailand

Post by mik »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... s-thailand

Nothing gory in the footage, but it's obviously quite disturbing (and you certainly hear the impact, so some might prefer not to view) :? . Apparently his pilot chute cord was caught under the straps of his harness, so it couldn't do it's job. :shock:

integrale_evo

Re: UK base jumper in Thailand

Post by integrale_evo »

You could clearly see it under the strap, surprised he didn’t feel it when he was pulling it behind him before the jump.

I guess too much adrenaline pumping from both the illegal entry / jump and the thrill of the jump / getaway itself.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I read about this and it seemed like such a basic mistake to have made. Every time I've watched a documentary on BASE I've been utterly fascinated by it, but I think in every single documentary, someone they're following has died doing it.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:27 am I read about this and it seemed like such a basic mistake to have made.
I guess that's a danger when you've done so many (apparently around 5k) jumps? Stop double/triple checking things, or ensuring you have someone knowledgeable with you who can also double-check. :? I'm guessing that if the camera guy was an expert, he'd have spotted that error immediately :?:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The camera literally points down at it. What a dick.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Judging by the lack of reaction and then posting it online, we can assume that the camera operator was deffo not his friend.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Anyone who does base jumping probably has a small part of them that kinda wants to die anyway.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavster wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:48 am Anyone who does base jumping probably has a small part of them that kinda wants to die anyway.
I suspect there's a lot of ADHD in the BASE jumping community. And dark humour. Very, very dark humour.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Sunshine Superman is a great movie about the early base jumpers. Some of them seem pretty normal but just get drawn into it by the more nutty ones.