EV Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: EV Thread

Post by Jobbo »

The rotating on the spot I can understand. How does the crabbing work?
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:55 pm The rotating on the spot I can understand. How does the crabbing work?
That’s with tyreless wheels made of rollers

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Middle child has a remote controlled car with wheels like that. Can do some quite impressive tricks, but the NVH is atrocious. Even with the insulation and suspension of a proper car I can't imagine it'll be a pleasant experience.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:08 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:55 pm The rotating on the spot I can understand. How does the crabbing work?
That’s with tyreless wheels made of rollers
Seems quite a compromise for everyday use, driving on the motorway etc 😂
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So is there any new tech on the horizon which is going to give an alternative to the current design template for EVs which seems to be to cram as many heavy batteries as possible into a traditional car "shape"?
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

BMW 'Neue Klasse' coming in a few years which say they'll go back to the i3/i8 roots of ground up EV architecture and should have 30% more range through better efficiency. I find it weird that BMW announced this in advance of the i4 and i5 which was basically admitting that they're compromised and a half way house - "We don't think we're ready to invest in full EV architecture until legislation forces us to so how about this 4, 5, 7 series with a battery shoved in and just wait a few years for our proper EV"
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:00 am So is there any new tech on the horizon which is going to give an alternative to the current design template for EVs which seems to be to cram as many heavy batteries as possible into a traditional car "shape"?
Only the same things they’ve been promising are just around the corner for the past 5 years or so…
Cheers, Harry
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Two things about that BYD;

1/. YangWang. Doesn't travel well, not helped by "The brand logo is the Chinese character for "lightning" or "electricity" in oracle bone script.".

2/. 3400kg, such progress.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

There’s a bridge near my parents with 2.5T limit, yet plenty of vehicles go over it that probably weigh close or over the limit with the drivers blissfully unaware
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

YankWank will be no good for crossing the Albert Bridge either.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

What’s the range like when towing? 😂
mik

Post by mik »

That video contained way too few furious cyclists
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:19 am What’s the range like when towing? 😂
that was the range!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:33 am
that was the range!
:rofl: Indeed!

Mik, the cyclists are all under the trailer.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:20 am That video contained way too few furious cyclists
Wrongcorrect fred.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Surprisingly good; the light coloured part of the trailer contains battery for hauling the load in the dark coloured bit (probably a 911. A lightweight 911).
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Uber last night was the new Model 3; cabin has some nice improvements with much better materials, rear looks more modern - although I think that’s mostly the new font, front is very generic but an improvement on the fishy-face, screens were quick and responsive.. but, and it’s a big but, the driver did a 3 point turn and took two attempts at swiping the screen to get it to go into drive (forward?). What an absolute step back! Then the screaming of the nanny systems as he navigated the narrow roads of Lisbon.. madness!
Cheers,

Ian
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

For someone really "into" cars and technology, I have to admit, I'm very bored of electric cars already.

They don't excite me, and it doesn't appear there's very much innovation/development going on?

The biggest challenge people seem to feel about them is range, and when it comes to tackling that, it feels like the only real response is "stick a bigger battery in it"?

That just seems a bit crap to me

Aside from axial flux motors, is there really much innovation happening in the space? (Genuine question)

Everything I seem to see is either "bigger battery" or just more window dressing, which doesn't really improve the vehicle at its heart.

Sure, super-fast charging sounds nice, and a good response to the range/recharging fears, but how frequently can people actually find a charger capable of those speeds, and how much does it cost to use, if you can?
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

DaveE wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:43 pm For someone really "into" cars and technology, I have to admit, I'm very bored of electric cars already.

They don't excite me, and it doesn't appear there's very much innovation/development going on?

The biggest challenge people seem to feel about them is range, and when it comes to tackling that, it feels like the only real response is "stick a bigger battery in it"?

That just seems a bit crap to me

Aside from axial flux motors, is there really much innovation happening in the space? (Genuine question)

Everything I seem to see is either "bigger battery" or just more window dressing, which doesn't really improve the vehicle at its heart.

Sure, super-fast charging sounds nice, and a good response to the range/recharging fears, but how frequently can people actually find a charger capable of those speeds, and how much does it cost to use, if you can?
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... w-charging
Cheers,

Ian