Rear numberplate lights

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Rear numberplate lights

Post by Jobbo »

Tesla fit unncessarily bright LEDs to illuminate their rear numberplates. Which drew my attention to a rash of people retrofitting bright LEDs to their non-Teslas; all with the effect of blinding people following but not really doing a great job of lighting their plates. On Saturday night I saw a mk6 Golf which what looked like blacklights fitted to them.

I was never a massive fan of the Max Power modification scene, and this is really quite a minor mod in comparison to that era, but is replacing your numberplate lights really a thing these days? It's a bit of a sad way to show your individuality - like plucking the hair from your left buttock or something, the effort of doing it is far more substantial than the effect it creates :lol:
Mito Man

Re: Rear numberplate lights

Post by Mito Man »

I think it's 2 groups of people, if it's just LED plate lights on an otherwise untouched car they've just bought whatever replacement they could find and LEDs always claim they last forever so there's that. Avoids the daunting experience of replacing a bulb again for someone who isn't into that kind of stuff.
If it's accompanied with 3D plates it's a 100% indicator that the driver is a cunt.

I am however now wondering if it's possible to fit such bright LED plate lights that they totally overexpose the numberplate and end up as an effective speed camera blinding device :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

One of the rear plate bulbs on the Evora popped a few years back. As they were nasty yellow, I replaced them both with nice white LEDs using the same “should last longer than conventional bulb” theory:

They aren’t super-bright though.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:25 am I think it's 2 groups of people, if it's just LED plate lights on an otherwise untouched car they've just bought whatever replacement they could find and LEDs always claim they last forever so there's that. Avoids the daunting experience of replacing a bulb again for someone who isn't into that kind of stuff.
If it's accompanied with 3D plates it's a 100% indicator that the driver is a cunt.

I am however now wondering if it's possible to fit such bright LED plate lights that they totally overexpose the numberplate and end up as an effective speed camera blinding device :lol:
I’ve been told that the 3D (4D) plates stop the ULEZ cameras from recognising them.. don’t know if true but people probably believe it or at least willing to try it
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Maybe it works although I always assumed if the computer can't read the plate it then goes to a human being, but if there's tens of thousands of these unreadable plates pinging up on the ULEZ system daily then you'll probably get away with it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:36 am Maybe it works although I always assumed if the computer can't read the plate it then goes to a human being, but if there's tens of thousands of these unreadable plates pinging up on the ULEZ system daily then you'll probably get away with it.
Perhaps you can 'take one for the OV9 team' and fit 4D plates to the Defender and commute in it to see what happens?

Despite my hatred for '4D' plates, I was tempted to try on mine while it was in town, but then someone drove in to it and it's now back in the countryside.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:42 am One of the rear plate bulbs on the Evora popped a few years back. As they were nasty yellow, I replaced them both with nice white LEDs using the same “should last longer than conventional bulb” theory:

They aren’t super-bright though.
The S1 had LED's but once again not super bright. The fact that they were stolen from a1970's rolls royce parts bin probably contributed to them being not overly bright.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

IanF wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:16 am I’ve been told that the 3D (4D) plates stop the ULEZ cameras from recognising them.. don’t know if true but people probably believe it or at least willing to try it
Sounds like BS to me. I'd love to see a technical explanation of how that's supposed to work !
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:29 pm
IanF wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:16 am I’ve been told that the 3D (4D) plates stop the ULEZ cameras from recognising them.. don’t know if true but people probably believe it or at least willing to try it
Sounds like BS to me. I'd love to see a technical explanation of how that's supposed to work !
I'm sure it's BS but it's an excellent sales pitch to the sort of idiots who buy them :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

People are probably getting confused between 4D text & hexagonal plates, and how they work in real life. You need hexagonal plates to avoid the ULEZ. Because ULEZ cameras use a normal rectangular image sensor, so they're unable to recognise hexagonal objects. That's just science.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:29 pm
I mean, it's in the fourth dimension, and the cameras can't pick you up when you're TRAVELLING THROUGH TIME.

Pretty much every time I think to look at the plate of someone who's cut me up, jumped a light etc, it's been a 3D-lettered plate.