Your fleet running reports

MikeHunt

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by MikeHunt »

The good news and bad news is the the Mazda has sold... time to masturcry.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:28 pm The good news and bad news is the the Mazda has sold... time to masturcry.
That's a shame - yours was a nice spec. I still waver over whether I'll actually buy an ND MX5; house purchase is obviously preventing any action currently but I really fancy a Honda E as my next purchase anyway because there's something a bit special about it. If the MX5 sold in the same sort of numbers as the Honda E or GR86, rarity would make it much more desirable to me.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I understand what you mean about rarity, there are only 302 M550is and 98 100th MX5s, but on the other hand there are a million MX5s and circa 8 millions 5s.

Id say it is the best spec mx5 out of Japan, having oem+ upgrades and just the right amount of na power. I will miss it but the new owner will be transporting on a low loader for rust prevention treatment before driving it, so Im sure it's going to a good home.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

16vCento wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:50 pm I still haven't bought a car, I'm useless :lol:

Went back to I3's, then confirmed they're still too small, and too electric.

So then looked at 225XE's but they're awful looking, but go well and are practical, but I'm not sure I can live with the looks of the thing.

So maybe a C350E or 330E, but will have to be an estate, so it's looking like maybe the Merc will win, but then I found a V60 D6 twin engine, but I feel like I don't want another V60, as good as it was I think they look a bit old now (last shape).

Has anyone here had a C350e?
V60 is far nicer looking than the Kraut options imo, and I'm not sure it looks old. Possibly the last good looking mainstream car. Or is that why it looks old? :lol:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I know what you mean, they are a nice looking car, I think it's because I've been there and done that more than anything else, would just be same car with a bit of electricity stuck in it and I fancy a change.

Been speaking to my friend who has a c350e and he likes it, I didn't know they had airmatic, should ride nicely (whilst it works).
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Finally got a good settlement for the Previa. Took a fair bit of haggling with the insurers, but armed with guidance from Financial Ombudsman, plenty of examples from Autotrader and pointing out a few things they said that were completely wrong and even contradicted policy wording, got exactly what initially asked for on the 3rd offer, which was just over double their initial offer.
Really needed a good offer to offset the £2k we spent a few weeks before the car got written off.

Had a look at a Altea Fourtrack, really good service history, stacks of receipts, same owner for 10 years, sadly had a bit of a noise from the rear drive train, could of been not too costly such as the propshaft rubber donut, but could of also been far more costly, such as an issue with the diff or haldex unit.

Next to look at is a Touran with the same 170PD engine. Has DSG, exceptional low milage, but a good few years older. Currently trying to find a time when we are both free.

Also spotted a nice old CRV, which has 14 Honda main dealer stamps. Very dull (my dad has one), but I can't ignore the great condition/service history and lowish milage.

Also on the lookout for a good S-Max, but yet to find a good one that we can view.

I'm currently not looking at Estate cars, as many of the rear seats are not great for sitting 3 teenagers as they are shaped for 2 people in comfort (the centre being an arm rest and narrow perch).

TBH, there is a lot of rubbish about. Between cars without decent history, dubious drive way dealers (a number of which I have worked out have multiple accounts/business names or lack proper business number/address), cars which are not accurately described, cars with colourful MOT historys, theres not a lot of decent cars about. Currently seems to be older but lower milage cars are better than newer higher milage within our 5K budget. I'm preferring 2009 60-80k Tourans and CRVs over 2014 130k Zafiras and 160k Smax's.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I was over at my brothers when my missus called up to say she was "driving and heard a massive bang and now there's a bit of metal hanging off the chassis" on her 320d...

She sent a picture:

i had my suspicions on what had actually happened to cause this damage and what it was.

I "gently" (it's that time of the month) asked if she'd driven over/off/into anything and sure enough, the rest of the story came out. She was turning around had had driven off a high kerb and ripped the rubber jacking point off (the bit of "metal" hanging off). The rectangular jacking point on the right is jammed into the skirt and should locate in the 3 slots on the left).

Aside from a bit of a scratched skirt, the broken jacking point itself and a missing trim screw, it's all fine at least! £9 on eBay and it's sorted.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Stupid old cars being stupid here.

The MINI has been complaining of flat tyre(s) & blown bulb(s) but doesn't tell you which one(s). I've been forgetting about it, and my wife has been ignoring it because it's my department. Tyres were a bit off but nothing major, so I simply pumped them up & reset the setting that sets the pressures. All the lights appeared to be working so I had to get the code reader out. Number plate & n/s tail light. The number plate bulbs were pretty blackened so I guess not quite passing enough current to keep the car happy. New ones from ECP for 99p each. The tail light was a burnt contact on the brake light bulb holder that I've cleaned up for now but will need to replace. All sorted.

In the middle of that I used the Ferrari to go to ECP for the bulbs. Part way there it decided that the engine cover was open and this gave me mild panic because from past experience I know it won't let you put it into gear when it's open. I managed to get to ECP then got stranded in the middle of the car park like a total lemon :oops: If I held the reverse lever back it would go into reverse for a few seconds at a time and I managed to back it into a space. Then when I tried to open the door to get out - PING - something came loose inside the door and the lever went floppy. I had to open the window and reach out to use the handle on the outside :oops: The engine cover wouldn't latch shut but the interlock can be defeated by unplugging it. I drove home gently with the cover rattling over every bump. It turned out that the release cable was somehow a bit too tight and preventing the latch from fully latching. Easy fix. The door problem was simply that the cable had come off the handle. My own fault on that, I've had the door apart a few times and I must have not properly attached it last time. All sorted.

The Bentley was fine all the way to work on Thursday, but did that cutting out thing about half a dozen times on the way home. It's still giving the error about the exhaust temperature module. From reading some Audi forum posts (different engines but use the same sensor) it can sometimes just be dry solder joints inside the module. It's attached to the top of the cam cover, one on each side, so although there's not much vibration (it's a Bentley, daahhhhrrrrrling), it probably gets pretty hot sometimes. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

The Cayenne has been stood since just after Christmas following the window debacle. I went to move it yesterday and the battery was utterly dead. UTTERLY dead. Neither of my chargers would coax it into life but jumping it from another battery let me move it and then leaving it (not running) with the other battery still hooked up while attaching the charger seems to have done the trick. The spare glass arrived a couple of weeks ago - £30 - I might finally get around to it tomorrow. Oh, and while checking tyre pressures I noticed there's a bulge in the sidewall of one of the front tyres. New tyres needed for the MOT in March I guess :(

Finally I put the code reader on the Ferrari just for fun and we have an error against the gearbox input speed sensor. But this could be good news. I'd previously had a couple of occasions where the speedo died & the ABS / ASR warnings lit up. Googling back then suggested ABS sensors. They're integrated into the hub bearing and the whole unit is about £500 per corner :shock: This time Googling the specific error code I found a post from someone who'd had the exact same symptoms, pulled the sensor from the bellhousing, found it to be caked in clutch dust, cleaned it, and had no further problems. Fingers crossed !
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Went to Colchester in the X5 to collect some furniture, about 40 miles of dual carriageway. Driving at low speed through the town centre I noticed a squeak / squeel following us.

Parked up for 10 mins or and when we set off for home it wasn’t doing it.

Got home and noticed through the rest of the muck and grime the left rear wheel had a bit more brake dust than the others. Sure enough wheel was warm. That’ll be a sticky calliper then. Wasn’t roasting hot, but will have a look tomorrow and free it up as I don’t want it getting worse. It’s just about at that age where these things have started corroding.

Will have a look for disks and pads as at a glance neither look too pretty.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I posted in another thread, my favourite parts supplier right now is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/carpartsinmotion

and there's a 20% discount code on most stuff right now.

Does your X5 have extra-large, extra-expensive discs being the 4.8 ?

Edit - fronts £46.98 each with discount ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335110900367
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, I use them pretty regularly unless I need something same day urgent.

I thought it was only the rears which are more model specific / expensive, but can get a pair of rears and pads for under £100 😂

Rear pads and shoes shared with e46 m3 😄

Annoyingly bmw don’t list a piston size or sell one. They will be available aftermarket but it’s always nice to check the details against realoem.

And yes, under £50 each for 356x36mm disks is a bit of a bargain, be tempting to do those too.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Lol, £25 a corner for a rear calliper repair kit with piston, £70 for a pair of complete replacement callipers. Even a tight arse like me can’t be bothered DIYing it for that 😂
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Another little rant, I can’t remember if I already did this one….

Audi parts suck, they are basically chintzy showrooms for selling monthly deals and making you think that pastry is worth another £30 an hour Labour charge.

The parts department no longer use car specific parts screens. So if I want a cooling system part for the engine bay they use a screen which has all the cooling parts for all the mk1 TT variations.
So after explaining that a header tank connection he was pointing at is the power steering reservoir, I mentioned the part I needed wasn’t on the screen, ok, I’ll order some other parts then.
No engine mount bolts, before I bought them direct as they are stretch bolts going into aluminium, you just can’t reuse them and Audi were the cheapest. Sadly now for fixings they informed me there is a 10 order minimum, so I’d have to buy 20 at nearly £200, so I declined and went off in a huff. Bought the parts for more money each from eBay.

Brembo brakes, are these now made in the back of noideaistan ? Both of the front discs on the TT look like they were living in the bottom of the ocean after it wasn’t driven for a month, the drivers side one won’t clear up and has some big grooves in so new discs and pads have been bought. I got Bosch as apparently they are very well regarded, will be interesting to see.

The final one is my own stupid fault, I did the cambelt, front crank seal, tensioner, idler, cam cover gasket, thermostat coolant flush on the TT. Like a tit I remembered I had to back the crank back a tooth to enable me to get the correct tension and timing on it 5 years ago when I last did it. I remembered JUST as I pulled the pin on the ratcheting tensioner, ahh well, new tensioner purchased and fitted a second time.

Runs beautifully, still fun and after the crank sensor, plugs and coils last month is feeling very healthy at 180,000 miles.

Might get off my arse and get the Defender back on the road in March, I miss driving it.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Grubby photo of the Macan on its winter wheels with my S6 hiding behind it - time for a general update:

Macan heading for 12,000 miles now, first oil change booked in 2 weeks time. Test driving a Cayenne while it is done, though no immediate plans to change it - maybe will plan to get one in a year or two if my wife likes it.

S6 just ticked over 19,000 miles. I’ll expect an Adblue warning shortly though it might have been topped up when serviced about 3000 miles ago, so I’ll find out soon. Tyres on 4.0-4.5mm all round so lasting well. Still able to get good economy if I resist pressing the right pedal. Niggles with air con and passenger reading light have gone away without doing anything; I think it may have had an over the air update.

Jimny: driven more by Jimmy than me it seems. Solid, fun, reliable (just needs to go on the CTEK before use if left for months). Might get out down the lanes a bit more this year.

Mini: has probably been driven about 1/4 mile back from the MOT place last April then not used. Will tax it from Feb since it’ll need to move shortly. It’s been sitting on a CTEK but I bet the tyres are a bit flat-spotted; fortunately I have a spare set of wheels and tyres to stick on because the tyres on it aren’t great anyway.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

First outing for the Elise on the new wheels / tyres. Took it easy because cold / damp / factory fresh tyres, but car felt good.

Nice to get a good look at it in brighter conditions on the new wheels. I also have added some headlamp covers because I like the look, but I don't like the bespectacled look of the black tape surrounds so I got the surrounds done in grey at a local sign writing / wrapping place. Foolishly I picked out the colour without the car there (it was hibernating, and I thought being that it's on the inside of the perspex it wouldn't be obvious) it did come out a tad too light to look perfect but I'm still quite happy with the look compared to black. In brighter light it looks better (and better in the flesh than the photos). Not to everyone's taste I'm sure.

mik

Post by mik »

Look good to me Duncs - way better than black would. 8-)

Disappointed to hear you took it easy. :(
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yep they look "right" to me 😎
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

The tyre warning reared its ugly head on the BMW this morning due to picking up a huge nail in the middle of the tyre. It's not repairable on the run flats, but not the end of the world as they were all below 3mm and need repairing soonish.

Tempted to ditch the run flats and go for PS4S, decisions.
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:14 pm Tempted to ditch the run flats and go for PS4S, decisions.
I 100% would do that
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

-snip privacy-
Last edited by NGRhodes on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.