Recommend a car for my FiL

Simon

Re: Recommend a car for my FiL

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:20 am
Jimexpl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 am Perhaps something safer if he's started driving into things?
A Volvo XC40 would come in budget and are a much nicer place to be than the Japanese equivalent while being sufficiently dull that he should talk about it too much.
That's an excellent choice. My father turns 80 this year and is thinking of swapping his two cars (Disco Sport and a Fiesta) for an XC40. I can see no reason at all to dissuade him.
Dad also turns 80 this year and is thinking of changing his Octavia for a Karoq. This seems sensible and should be easier for Mum to get in and out of.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

My standard response these days is "Something Korean".

A former GF, affectionately known as Crazy Jen, had her car condemned and needed a replacement. She wanted a Freelander. I suggested a 4x4 Kia. She's very happy with the Kia.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Korean is a good should, what with the 7 year warranty. Can buy something a few years old and still have 5 years of relatively care free NCGing.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Simon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:47 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:20 am
Jimexpl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 am Perhaps something safer if he's started driving into things?
A Volvo XC40 would come in budget and are a much nicer place to be than the Japanese equivalent while being sufficiently dull that he should talk about it too much.
That's an excellent choice. My father turns 80 this year and is thinking of swapping his two cars (Disco Sport and a Fiesta) for an XC40. I can see no reason at all to dissuade him.
Dad also turns 80 this year and is thinking of changing his Octavia for a Karoq. This seems sensible and should be easier for Mum to get in and out of.
That's the argument that my dad used to replace his Octavia with a Qashqai.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Cheers all. There's a lot of votes here for the Qashqai. And good point about a Kia having a nice long warranty. I think that's the shortlist sorted.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:33 pm Cheers all. There's a lot of votes here for the Qashqai. And good point about a Kia having a nice long warranty. I think that's the shortlist sorted.
to be brutally honest, I was using the qashqai suggestion as a bit of a flippant response for people who don't give a fuck about cars
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

My friend got a quashqai on lease through his work, he didn't really want it, but he needed a car and it was very cheap. It is a 1.3 petrol mild hybrid and it isn't the top model, but one below and has plenty toys. Not heated seats but hey ho.

He averages in the 50s for mpg. Obviously it is vile and I slag him off, but for a non car guy it would do the job.

I would probably go Kia or Hyundai FWD SUV, whatever they are called, Tuscon is one I think
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:49 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:33 pm Cheers all. There's a lot of votes here for the Qashqai. And good point about a Kia having a nice long warranty. I think that's the shortlist sorted.
to be brutally honest, I was using the qashqai suggestion as a bit of a flippant response for people who don't give a fuck about cars
To be fair, all of the other suggestions (except the Yeti) are also aimed at people who don’t care about cars 😄
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I disagree Jobbo…

I mean, can you really call you a petrolhead if you haven’t owned a Mazda 3??? :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:37 pm I disagree Jobbo…

I mean, can you really call you a petrolhead if you haven’t owned a Mazda 3??? :lol:
Can you really call yourself a petrolhead if you spell the name of the car incorrectly?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Space is subjective… ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:49 pm
Stereotypes don’t invent themselves. There’s always an element of truth to it.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jimexpl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 am A Volvo XC40 would come in budget and are a much nicer place to be than the Japanese equivalent...
He's had several Jap cars and been very happy with them. I think he actively LIKES the velour & shiny plastic.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Disaster has been narrowly averted.

We advised him to look at Qashqai & Sportage. He promptly went to a Renault dealer :roll: where, unsurprisingly, the salesman told him that one of their cars would be much better than a Qashqai or Sportage. He nearly got talked into buying there & then.

His brother then came to the rescue, took him out to lunch today and went to a Nissan dealer. He likes the Qashqai. Just needs to decide which one from their stock. This is Ancaster South Croydon FWIW.

https://www.ancaster.co.uk/nissan/locat ... h-croydon/
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

He could have ended up with a Renault Austral. Though since that's Renault's version of the Qashqai I don't think he'd have been massively disappointed.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Austral? Was that named for the Australian market?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Peugeot offering 8 years warranty on E-3008 apparently.

Plus Toyota is offering a 10 year warranty
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

What are they servicing on an EV?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:08 pm He could have ended up with a Renault Austral. Though since that's Renault's version of the Qashqai I don't think he'd have been massively disappointed.
Too new, they only came out last year, they're not anywhere near £20k yet. Would have been a Kadjar. Which is (was) also shared platform with the Qashqai.

Anyway, we're now now trying to restrict him to Nissan main agents, purely to make sure there's a full manufacturer warranty. Peace of mind is more important than saving a couple of hundred quid here.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:32 pm to Nissan main agents, purely to make sure there's a full manufacturer warranty. Peace of mind is more important than saving a couple of hundred quid here.
peace is important..