Roadtrip to Krakow

GG.

Roadtrip to Krakow

Post by GG. »

As per the title - I'm currently planning a trip to Krakow in the summer with some friends of ours (one of whom is originally from Gdansk). They will be flying out Tueday and back Friday but I'm planning to drive out there in the 911.

Plan so far is probably to grab a couple of the obligatory pictures at Reims-Geaux (have been to Reims a couple of times but never to the old racetrack) and also a stop off a Stuttgart to visit the museum, plus obviously some high speed running on the autobahn.

Anyone have further suggestions along the general route (general route being very general in this case)... I've done the Nurburgring once before and to be honest the risk/reward of Touristfahrten days is not really in balance for me so I wouldn't be doing a detour to go there again (at least on this trip with this car).
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Re: Roadtrip to Krakow

Post by Sundayjumper »

The museum at sinsheim is excellent. I went there by accident because the Porsche museum in stuttgart was closed for the day when I tried to visit.

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/
mik

Post by mik »

@revsRus regularly drives between UK and the continent - will message him to see if he has any clever ideas.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Great - thanks. Yes strangely the Porsche museum is shut on Mondays so I'm going to have to go a day earlier and set off on the Saturday and spend two nights on the road before I get to Poland. Probably makes sense anyway otherwise I'd have two 10 hour days of driving which is too much.
mik

Post by mik »

You'll obvs want to check this vs your planned route too.

https://autobahnspeedhunter.com/
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sounds like a fun trip, I look forward to your trip report as I might want to do something similar in the future. ;)
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

GG. wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:42 am Anyone have further suggestions along the general route (general route being very general in this case)...
1. That's a lot of very boring driving, or an absolutely vast amount of less boring driving if you take back roads, so are you sure? We drove from UK to Krakow on the way to Ukraine in a van and it was endless monotonous motorway - although we were going slower than you will. It all felt like great fun at the start, going from UK -> France -> Belgium -> Netherlands -> Germany in a few hours, then Germany simply goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on. Then you get to Poland, which is equally as wide and monotonous as Germany.

2. If you do, then petrol is much cheaper in Poland, so bear that in mind

3. Also, at Polish service stations you'll see places called "Bar Taurus" which are not dive bars but restaurants that serve loads of traditional Polish food. Surprisingly good for a really hearty meal along the way and sell takeaway cured meats too.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Gavster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:27 am
GG. wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:42 am Anyone have further suggestions along the general route (general route being very general in this case)...
1. That's a lot of very boring driving, or an absolutely vast amount of less boring driving if you take back roads, so are you sure? We drove from UK to Krakow on the way to Ukraine in a van and it was endless monotonous motorway - although we were going slower than you will. It all felt like great fun at the start, going from UK -> France -> Belgium -> Netherlands -> Germany in a few hours, then Germany simply goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on. Then you get to Poland, which is equally as wide and monotonous as Germany.

2. If you do, then petrol is much cheaper in Poland, so bear that in mind

3. Also, at Polish service stations you'll see places called "Bar Taurus" which are not dive bars but restaurants that serve loads of traditional Polish food. Surprisingly good for a really hearty meal along the way and sell takeaway cured meats too.
Given i'm trying to tie in with the Porsche museum I'll be taking a couple of overnight stops - UK to Stuttgart on the first day and then I think an as yet to be determined mid-point (maybe even Prague?) the next day so it will be broken up but equally I take your point.

Interesting thing re the google maps times quoted on the German leg though - I imagine what it is telling me is a say an 8 hour journey could actually be 6 or even less if you're averaging 100+mph. The last time I went by myself I took the 3.2l Boxster I had and got it up to 160+ mph - I remember looking down at the Sat Nav and in the space of a couple of an hour or so I was already a significant chunk of the way across Germany! That said I'm not sure you could do that non-stop for hour after hour as it would take a significantly larger amount of mental energy - especially when you're not used to it.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

That is very true about driving at high speed, it really does destroy journey times. Back around 2006 when I had a 328i Sport and we popped down to a friend's home in Dijon for new years. It's around 350 miles back to Calais which should take a fair while, however it was a very dry and bright day and my gf fell asleep quickly so I cruised at 120-ish for large chunks of the journey and was genuinely surprised with how early we were for the tunnel.