Starlink Pilot

mik

Re: Starlink Pilot

Post by mik »

Why don’t they have a wired output on their router? :?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:51 am Why don’t they have a wired output on their router? :?
They did on the first version but they removed it without notice when they switched to the new dish and all of the adapters and mounts seem to be on back order just now. Its baffling, although I wonder if they're going to release their own Mesh Wi-Fi system.

Its beyond frustrating though as this is a new build house, but the wireless signal their router is putting out is weak as shit.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I assumed the second gen one would have amazing wireless as everyone complained about the first version.
On the first one I placed it in the airing cupboard and it has 1 bar of signal standing outside with the door closed 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Break from meetings today at lunchtime so I've knocked up a simple wooden shelf for it and its now sitting on top of the fence. Will see how that goes before I consider something more permanent on the house gables. Very low-tech solution...
Cheers,

Mike.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:19 am
mik wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:51 am Why don’t they have a wired output on their router? :?
They did on the first version but they removed it without notice when they switched to the new dish and all of the adapters and mounts seem to be on back order just now. Its baffling, although I wonder if they're going to release their own Mesh Wi-Fi system.

Its beyond frustrating though as this is a new build house, but the wireless signal their router is putting out is weak as shit.
Been in a new build won’t help it either, all the walls are full of steel
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Thread resurrection time......

I've got fed of our broadband supply struggling to hit 50-60mbps and having no other options I'd been considering Starlink. When they were offering recon kit for £200 I took the plunge. It was delivered the other day and I installed it today. It's temporarily in the middle of the garden while I make sure it's ok (within the 30 day monwyback period) and then it'll be wall mounted.

So far, so good and seems to be a good 50% up on speeds in comparison. At £79 per month it's a little more pricey than what a fibre to house connection would be, but that's a moot point as I can't get it and no sign of when it'll be available 🙁

Let's see how we get on with it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Interesting, 2 years ago it was around 100 mbps, it’s now averaging 300 mbps and never cuts out apart from the early phases of the Ukraine war when the Russians kept hacking it.
The new generation satellites are amazing.
How about not having a sig at all?