Heating Tea

Tea (or coffee or wotevah)

1. I would heat it up in the microwave. Only a mentalist would think that changes the taste.
19%
2. I would heat it up in the microwave, accepting that it changes the taste a little.
5%
3. I would heat it up in the microwave, accepting that it changes the taste a lot
5%
4. I heat mine up by pouring it into a pot, heating it on the hob, and returning it to the cup. But now hotter.
No votes
5. I heat mine up by adding more from the pot. aka like a weirdo.
No votes
6. I discard a hot drink when it reaches A-1 DegC and make a fresh one
52%
7. I discard a hot drink when it reaches A-1 DegC, and punch the person nearest to me in the face
No votes
8. I don't drink hot liquids.
5%
9. I don't drink.
No votes
10. I leave it 'til it transitions to properly cold and then guzzle it up like a strangely warmed version of iced tea/coffee like a what type of 'mercun or something might like.
14%

Total votes: 21

mik

Heating Tea

Post by mik »

Occasionally - and generally at the weekend - during idle chit-chat, I realise that my tea has dropped to A-1 DegC, where A is an acceptable liquid temperature for consumption.

At this point I may zap it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds in order that I may then enjoy the remainder of the cup.

Mrs mik is convinced that this makes the tea taste different :? and she will therefore not partake in this practice. She would rather "top up" from the pot with (now stewed) tea - deviating from the correct milk/tea ratio - and thus definitely making it taste different. And not in a good way. :geek:

I guess the same discussion would apply to coffee. But. She doesn't drink coffee.... :?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Heating Tea

Post by Matty »

Mik this isn't even worthy of a poll. There's only 1 correct answer?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I discard it by drinking it cold, then make a fresh one. Microwaves are just weird.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I microwave my coffee every day...

I batch brew in a 10 cup moka then keep it in a sealed bottle in the fridge

When I want a coffee, I'll put some in a glass mug, microwave that while foaming/warming some (oat) milk and it always hits the spot

IMO it's a good compromise between convenience and making the best possible cup of coffee that I could

So for me, yeah, I'd warm up tea in the microwave...
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I don't own a microwave.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Beany

Post by Beany »

I almost exclusively drink black coffee, so microwaving it is acceptable.

Tea, I'd just make another cup, and sup on the cooling cuppa while I wait for the kettle etc.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I regularly get sidetracked at work and the coffee kindly made for me by customers goes cold. At which point I drink it and generally a fresh one appears and the cycle repeats
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

If it gets cold, I drink it cold.

I also add a dash of cold when I make it so it's the perfect temp straight away - otherwise I tend to forget it whilst waiting for it to cool down enough to drink without scalding.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I'd drink coffee if it's gone cold (lukewarm), or, very rarely, I'll reheat it a bit in the microwave. Tea, nah, make a new one. Maybe I'm just now used to drinking coffee that's gone cold.
Wife never drinks the last gulp of her coffee, there's always some left. Weirdo.
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Tea pot, strainer, loose leaf tea means that the tea in the pot needn't be stewed. Or take the tea bags out of the teapot once desired strength has been attained.

#teabaglikeaking 😁
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It does taste different, but I still do it because I’m too lazy to make a fresh cup. Also don’t actually mind it cold if I’m not in need of a hot drink by the time I remember I haven’t drunk it.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

McSwede wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:25 pm Tea pot, strainer, loose leaf tea means that the tea in the pot needn't be stewed. Or take the tea bags out of the teapot once desired strength has been attained.

#teabaglikeaking 😁
And I'd have a nice coffee or tea almost every time 👍
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Reheating is perfectly fine. Both coffee and tea.

This is as good as excuse as ever to regale you with an anecdote from my travelling. I briefly (for a few days) journeyed alongside a Canadian who would brew a cuppa, and while waiting for it to cool to whatever temp she found acceptable, popped the teabag in her mouth and sucked it. Almost 21 years ago, but I still shudder at the thought.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't drink tea or coffee. Hot chocolate is the only hot drink I drink.

Yes, I'm a man child. Fight me.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:39 pm I don't own a microwave.
Like with a cat, the microwave owns you.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'll drink tepid tea but stone cold is getting thrown away, and I'll flagellate myself to wasting a good English institution.

Coffee never gets reheated, as it never gets chance to cool off to that degree.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Microwaves make it taste weird. They excite the protons in water. It’s unnatural I tell you, and it causes unpalatable changes in the liquid.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:00 pm Microwaves make it taste weird. They excite the protons in water. It’s unnatural I tell you, and it causes unpalatable changes in the liquid.
I agree with this too. And you’re heating the milk which is normally not warmed up to make tea - tea tastes weird enough made normally but using warmed milk.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Aslong as whatever drink you drink is thrown down the sink before leaving it for the washing up, you heat it any way you like.

If you don’t do that, I hope you get facial lesions and arse boils.

Dave!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian