Jack envy

mik

Re: Jack envy

Post by mik »

@duncs500 The 2 tonne version appears to be identical to my old Halfords-branded one. Very similar looking jacks are available with multiple different brand labels.

There is nothing wrong with it, but it's far smaller footprint than the 2.5 and 3.0 versions. (hence 14kg for the 2-tonne jack, vs 33.5kg for the 2.5 tonne SGS jack), and whilst it goes pretty low, it won't reach very far in. (Have sent you an image on whatsapp, but I could have just directed you to exactly the same image on p1 of this thread :roll: )
Last edited by mik on Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:17 am Ooh, I need a new jack, I don't trust my old one anymore. Just trying to decide whether I really need the extra lift height or could just get the 2 ton. :?
Same, and same for my axle stands. Be nice to have something that lifts higher than 30cm, too.

I forsee an expensive weekend :shock:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've gone for the 2.5t in the end. Most helpful advice @mik. :)
mik

Post by mik »

@duncs500 Niiice. The 2.5T version wasn't discounted when I got mine, so I couldn't see any logic in paying more for a lower-rated item. Otherwise I think I'd probably have made the same choice. Pics when you get it, and video of an emergency-lift ;)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:D Annoyingly, had an unexpected expense come up the other day that means I don't have the money for tyres for my new wheels anymore! :cry: Probably shouldn't have bought the jack either, but £20 off is not to be sniffed at! :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Finally used my new trolley jack properly today. On the Macan so the saddle height was not an issue. It's very lovely and solid; made jacking a near 2-tonne car up feel much more secure than the old Halfords jack on the much lighter Yeti. My wife was surprised at how quickly I finished changing the wheels over - seems you can get quicker than a Kwik Fit fitter.

The more powerful impact wrench was probably not such a good investment. It has 3 torque settings, and even in 2 it gives too much dugga dugga for my liking so I limited it to the lowest setting. Which meant it was no more powerful than my much lighter 12v Makita, but much less wieldy. I still use a torque wrench to tighten them properly anyway, so unless I find a really stuck wheelnut at some point in future which I can't otherwise undo, I think the De Walt impact wrench may be relegated to the back of the garage.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:07 pm
The more powerful impact wrench was probably not such a good investment. It has 3 torque settings, and even in 2 it gives too much dugga dugga for my liking
My DeWalt is a mid-range gun, and I am fine using it on max dugga if I am using a 6-point socket. If it fails to loosen the bolt/nut (which has happened twice I think) then I use my “breaker” (which is an old 50cm torque wrench used exclusively for loosening - I have a new (and trustworthy) draper torque wrench for tightening).

Some say max dugga is great if you’ve been a dozey fooker and jacked the car up before breaking the nuts. I wouldn’t know about that though.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I always loosen the nuts with my extending wheel brace - it goes to about 60cm. I just crack them off while the tyre is still in contact with the ground (jack in place but not at full height yet).

This is my impact wrench: https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcf899 ... -bare-unit
Says up to 1625Nm of breakaway torque and 950Nm normally. But I only use it to wind the nuts in and out really 😂

Plus separate torque wrench for tightening as well. I reckon my little Makita is the better option for the middle bit, frankly.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

:?:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just jack the wheel entirely off the ground, give it full duggas to remove nuts. Will update this thread when the wheels fall off due to the abuse 😂
Replace wheel, thread the nuts in with my finger for a few threads, then give it a few duggas and torque the final bit.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Threading the nuts in with my finger is basically impossible on any alloys I’ve changed. They’re all deep set so they don’t bite the hub threads until they’re out of reach. I do it by putting the nut in the socket of the impact gun and turning the socket by hand initially.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don't own a jack, not even a spindley OEM type one... I haven't lifted a car or taken off a wheel in maybe 10 years?!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

With the Macan being higher, it's good to know your jack reached her.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:11 pm I don't own a jack, not even a spindley OEM type one... I haven't lifted a car or taken off a wheel in maybe 10 years?!
How the other half live 😄
I bet you don’t have a dozen or more alloys stacked up in your garage either.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:25 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:11 pm I don't own a jack, not even a spindley OEM type one... I haven't lifted a car or taken off a wheel in maybe 10 years?!
How the other half live 😄
I bet you don’t have a dozen or more alloys stacked up in your garage either.
i remember being a bit shocked that neither of our cars had a jack. I was a bit pissed off because I wanted to take off a tyre to repair it. I had to do it in situ which was a ballache.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

No jacks/spare wheels have come with Porsches for years, and our UP GTI doesn't have one either. :(
It's a bit surprising that Porsche don't offer one as an optional extra, and a more expensive lightweight one in titanium for Euro-millions winners. ;)
mik

Post by mik »

The good thing about these big jacks is that you can just roll them under without even checking the lift point.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:shock:
That must be an automatic write off?!
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:45 am :shock:
That must be an automatic write off?!
How do you know it's not a manuel? :?
John

Post by John »

I've recently bought a 2 ton trolley jack from SGS which has a 360 degree rotating handle. It's ideal if you're jacking up a car in a garage as you can angle the handle so that it doesn't hit the wall.