Not a series 2?
I just noticed that my washing machine is a series 4...😳😬😂
See, you're meeting me halfway!
:D
DaveE

Re: New TV Tiime

Post by DaveE »

A house we stayed in recently had a nice Samsung TV on the wall

However, it seemed to upscale everything in a way that made films (especially) look awful

It seemed to be a combination of a much higher frame rate (which made films look like broadcast TV), and a kind of "seclective high definition" where certain people/parts of the screen would appear hyper-real, but the effect was undone by movement of that thing/person in the frame

Watching Maverick was a surreal experience because this (as an example)

Anyone know what this might have been down to, and if it's a feature, are these things switch-off-able?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I wouldn't even bother if it was a Samsung tbh. The UI is utterly awful.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:45 pm I wouldn't even bother if it was a Samsung tbh. The UI is utterly awful.
We don't actually use anything on our TVs (Freeview box, Blu-ray and Chromecast) so the TV UI isn't really a concern...

It's basically just a screen and speakers
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DaveE wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:59 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:45 pm I wouldn't even bother if it was a Samsung tbh. The UI is utterly awful.
We don't actually use anything on our TVs (Freeview box, Blu-ray and Chromecast) so the TV UI isn't really a concern...

Fair enough. However, any aspect of the UI is awful, particularly if you need to switch between sources.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:04 pm

Fair enough. However, any aspect of the UI is awful, particularly if you need to switch between sources.
Cool, that's good to know, thanks
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DaveE wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:34 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:04 pm

Cool, that's good to know, thanks
No worries. We have one as do my parents and they drive me nuts :lol: I use ours as a monitor and switching between sources is a pain
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

My samsung tv has been one of the most frustrating tech purchases I've ever made tbh.

It's one hand the best TV I've ever had and on the other completely infuriating. Some of the decisions they made around UI and connectivity are baffling.
An absolute unit
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

LG have the best UI and tend not to kill functionality with updates. I hardly ever use the Apple TV or Firestick connected to our LG (but always use them on the Samsung).
Sony is fine until you need to find a setting that is hidden in an illogical location.
Samsung is pretty painful.
Panasonic is somewhere between Sony and Samsung - it works well for some users, but poorly for others.

As someone that supplies/installs over 100 TVs a year, it's LG every time for me these days unless a particular size/aesthetic is not available.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I'll probably go back to LG when I buy a new one. My old one was faultless for 10 years, never even dropped a pixel.

Would still have it if I hadn't wanted to upgrade for 4K and Dolby Atmos.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I have gone against forum convention and ordered a Philips 55OLED808 TV for the hall without seeking validation. 😂 I saw one in Richersounds and it looked great. Seems to get good reviews too.

Also ordered a NAIM-MU-SO-G2 for the sounds and to plug a turntable into so the wife can play her LP's
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

DYELU?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:28 pmDYELU?
Yes. This place has a special in my heart 😂 I'm indecisive enough with these sorts of purchases to then have numerous different options on the table.

Demo'd, liked, ordered, done 👍
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

But, if you like us, why did you deprive us of the opportunity to suggest some more or less relevent options, or a diesel Golf? :D
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:35 pm
Yes. This place has a special in my heart 😂 I'm indecisive enough with these sorts of purchases to then have numerous different options on the table.

Demo'd? You're not supposed to test stuff, you're supposed to order blindly!!!!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:07 pm A house we stayed in recently had a nice Samsung TV on the wall

However, it seemed to upscale everything in a way that made films (especially) look awful

It seemed to be a combination of a much higher frame rate (which made films look like broadcast TV), and a kind of "seclective high definition" where certain people/parts of the screen would appear hyper-real, but the effect was undone by movement of that thing/person in the frame

Watching Maverick was a surreal experience because this (as an example)

Anyone know what this might have been down to, and if it's a feature, are these things switch-off-able?
I had a friend who's 4K Sony TV did this - they liked it btw - I have no idea what setting was on it but it was a weird sort of uncanny valley for picture quality which made everything look like live TV from the US.
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:34 pm
McSwede wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:35 pm

Demo'd? You're not supposed to test stuff, you're supposed to order blindly!!!!
In my defence I only went in to look at a cheap turntable for the wife. Didn't think I wanted or needed anything else but it turned out that I did 😂 Some form of Evonomics I'm sure
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:31 pm Also ordered a NAIM-MU-SO-G2 for the sounds and to plug a turntable into so the wife can play her LP's
That looks reassuring expensive.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:53 pm
McSwede wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:31 pm Also ordered a NAIM-MU-SO-G2 for the sounds and to plug a turntable into so the wife can play her LP's
That looks reassuring expensive.
Yes. It is a little but it suits my needs and sounds superb (allegedly).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’m lucky that I listened to some high end Naim hifi kit nearly 20 years ago thinking I might buy it and really hated the sound. So I’d never get a Muso even though it’s probably much less Naim-signature sonically now.