The post office (possibly)

jamcg

The post office (possibly)

Post by jamcg »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67964064

Looking likely they could be getting even more fucked. I expect that given it’s government owned as a business it’ll be bailed out, but it’s not looking good which is an achievement given how shit it already looks
Explosive Newt

Re: The post office (possibly)

Post by Explosive Newt »

I've been following this avidly for a few years (bought Nick Wallis's book, listened to the R4 series, even kept up on the enquiry website). It's all endlessly fasincating but I think the big unresolved thing is the degree of liability of Fujitsu. Admittedly, not for this, but in the central issue of improper prosecution both parties seem to share a lot of liability.

There is a retired Fujitsu bod called Gareth Jenkins who gave testimony at a lot of the prosecutions about Horizon being reliable who is now fighting against coming to the Inquiry as he will most likely incriminate himself. He has asked for a waiver from the attourney general which has been denied. Several fujitsu witnesses from the 2019 civil case were referred to the director for public prosecutions following their testimony.

So: yes the government will bail them out. But they may look to recoup some of these costs from fujitsu. It all gets a bit murky after that: one reason the contract was kept with them in the late 90s by the Blair government was a desire to cosy up to Japanese investment. We'll see...
DaveE

Re: The post office (possibly)

Post by DaveE »

Or will the Conservatives see this as an opportunity to sell it off?