The Sphere in Vegas (nd)

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: The Sphere in Vegas (nd)

Post by Sundayjumper »

RobYob wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:46 pm Tool would be awesome.

Rammstein would be another.
Put Rob Zombie on the list too.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:33 am Amusingly they have got pi wrong:
That's quite amusing (and rather spectacularly geeky). 8-)

I suspect the website designers assumed nobody would ever notice... and they would have got away for it too if it wasn't for those pesky geeks. :geek:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Nine Inch Nails would do something clever there I'm sure. Tool would be great. Coldplay would do some great stuff too I'm sure.

They did have times where they'd just use it as canvas or have different images of the band like you see at an outdoor gig. The screen seemed to be able to give a decent feeling of depth as well - one song they had a stream of multi-coloured numbers going up to the roof, then managed to make it look like they were coming back down on you as part of a descending roof.

They had a very simple lighting rig in place which could be used with the screen to project shadows against it and also for songs where it was stripped back, they used the depth effects to make it look like small drones were hanging a video screen in place.

One of the best sounding and looking gigs I've seen in my lifetime was NIN last year at the O2 academy in a venue where they struggled to just fit on to the stage with a simple lighting rig. Was totally blown away.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Perhaps a hunger games type arena where the various gangs can fight it out will be more beneficial to Khan’s London.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:24 am Perhaps a hunger games type arena where the various gangs can fight it out will be more beneficial to Khan’s London.
Sounds like London already
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If the current government style of admin were always the case since historical times the country would have no landmarks at all apart from shitty high rise structures.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's an ugly arena in a city that already has a bunch of them. It's not like it's a groundbreaking piece of architecture.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I find it totally hypocrritical that they've spent the last decade completely revolutionising this part of London from being the biggest rubbish dump in Europe to one of the most modern and sophistcated living and working areas. They've built everything from Westfield, to tons of residental, to stadiums and spaceship-looking galleries, Abba Voyage arena and an Alpine ski lodge then veto this. It would have been the most advanced entertainment arena in the world and we just said no to it. Totally backwards.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:24 am Perhaps a hunger games type arena where the various gangs can fight it out will be more beneficial to Khan’s London.
Two men enter, one man leaves...
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gavster wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:01 am I find it totally hypocrritical that they've spent the last decade completely revolutionising this part of London from being the biggest rubbish dump in Europe to one of the most modern and sophistcated living and working areas. They've built everything from Westfield, to tons of residental, to stadiums and spaceship-looking galleries, Abba Voyage arena and an Alpine ski lodge then veto this. It would have been the most advanced entertainment arena in the world and we just said no to it. Totally backwards.
Because no-one wants to be told they can't buy a high power hoover or candescent light bulbs, but are kept awake at night by the glow of a thousand suns outside their bedroom window.

I'm glad it's not coming to London. It's a tourist attraction on the strip, but not in Stratford which is much more residential than that part of LV.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

That's a bit of a missed opportunity. Having a state of the art venue in London somewhere would be a big draw, especially when it's only one of two in the entire world.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

They must have learned so much from making the first one that the London one would have been even better. And Stratford was redeveloped exactly for plans like this. It's one of the few places in London that has had unprecedented public investment into infrastructure designed to handle more people than currently live there.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Oh wow I had missed that.... I'd seen a few apartments for sale right by this location recently which seemed relatively good value for London, I guess now that it's cancelled they'll be unaffordable to me!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

A giant ball with lights on the outside shining in every direction is definitely a hard sell ANYWHERE near residential areas... or natural areas... or pretty much anywhere in the UK.

Shame, it would have been cool, but it can only really exist in somewhere like vegas.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just looked at the location, you could reasonably have half the sphere illuminated as the west side of it faces the shopping centre/stadium/olympic park. Put a curfew on the other half that faces residences so it goes off at dusk.
Other thing is that I have no idea how they would have fit it in the location they purchased - the Vegas sphere is over 500ft wide/long and the plot (Angel Lane, Stratford) is a triangle which is 500ft wide at its top and then narrows down to nothing :?:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:45 pm I just looked at the location, you could reasonably...
...yeah that wouldn't happen. You're expecting the sort of people interested in operating this garish shit-sphere to be reasonable.

If they can make an extra £10k a week advertising tampons on it at 3am with strobing white light, they would.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:58 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:45 pm I just looked at the location, you could reasonably...
...yeah that wouldn't happen. You're expecting the sort of people interested in operating this garish shit-sphere to be reasonable.

If they can make an extra £10k a week advertising tampons on it at 3am with strobing white light, they would.
I think the Sphere charges $400K a day or something for advertising at the moment. And there's been some really cool uses of it which invariably "work" in that they get large social media coverage, but in the Vegas skyline its not really bothering anyone because its already such a mental place. A bit more light pollution caused by a 400 foot high emoji is nothing.

I guess the advertising is a key part of the business case so that's why any compromise on their part wasn't going to happen. It's a shame, because the concert experience is like nothing else I've ever seen.
Cheers,

Mike.