EQB300 review

Simon

EQB300 review

Post by Simon »

It's service time again, so courtesy car lottery. Last year was the EQA250 (forum review) so this is predictably similar. Main differences:

1) Usefully bigger. EQB is actually a 7 seater, so you get an idea for size, yet it's actually small than a GLC (but taller) - really decent amount of space inside. This could really replace the Yeti (wife seems to like it).

2) More power - 225hp, so plenty for the regular (albeit heavy) family transport.

3) Better ride - Can't identify why, but it rides a lot better than last years EQA. Not squirrely under acceleration either, but clearly a NCG as I can't tell you without looking whether it's 4WD or 2WD.

I see they've just facelifted it - this is a '73 plate, but already the online configurator shows a newer model available and it seems the 300 is going away. Now available is a 250 and the 350 continues too.

I still really like using the paddles to change the regen, rather than having to jump into a menu. Also like that it still has buttons for climate etc along with the 'touchpad' and also a touchscreen. Still has the proper buttons on the wheel too rather than the haptic ones of other new Mercs (although don't know if new updated car has changed that).

Very decent family transport - will definitely consider in a year or two when we replace the Yeti.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: EQB300 review

Post by JonMad »

I've never really found something that could replace our Yeti in a modern (better) way but you might just have found it (or the GLB to not quite get into the modern age).
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think the GLB looks great. I spotted one 18 months/2 years ago near my Dad's house and pointed it out to my wife as a possible Yeti replacement. Though when I looked at the pricing, it was quickly dropped in favour of a GLC or Macan. They do look great, though - very much a more modern Yeti visually with quite a funky utilitarian shape.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Went out for a drive at lunch with bruv. Seems that it is 4wd (twin motor), so that explains that. One thing I've learnt is that I can't seem to disable regen completely. I can lower it a long way using paddles, but there doesn't seem to be a 'coast' function. I wonder if that's the effect of 2 motors or something.

Anyway, surprised of the approval here of the 'B' shape - bruv said 'blimey it's boxy' but then again so is the Yeti.

Will be interesting to see what values are like in 18-24 months.
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:39 pm Went out for a drive at lunch with bruv. Seems that it is 4wd (twin motor), so that explains that. One thing I've learnt is that I can't seem to disable regen completely. I can lower it a long way using paddles, but there doesn't seem to be a 'coast' function. I wonder if that's the effect of 2 motors or something.
Twin motors doesn't affect regen.

KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

I was actually looking at one on our work scheme today. It was a 350 AMG Line so I think base spec as it doesn't look like there's any non-AMG(line, it's not a 4.0 V8 unfortunately) models. Is available for 440 a month fully covered so I'd be happy to go with that if my lease was due to end soon.

Sort of struggling with fitting a dog crate and anything other than a tiny bag in the boot of a Kona EV. I think the roof box is going to getting used a lot until we can replace it!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:42 pm Twin motors doesn't affect regen.
This is something that bothers me. If you drive your 2wd EV in one pedal mode, it’s effectively only braking one set of wheels. I don’t think I’d be satisfied with an EV unless it was 4wd.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:52 pm
This is something that bothers me. If you drive your 2wd EV in one pedal mode, it’s effectively only braking one set of wheels. I don’t think I’d be satisfied with an EV unless it was 4wd.
This is true - and I guess that must impact tyre wear quite significantly. Although I suppose that from a safety perspective - you’re defo going to be using the mechanical stoppers if you are braking hard enough to be shifting the weight/balance of the car significantly,
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:42 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:39 pm Went out for a drive at lunch with bruv. Seems that it is 4wd (twin motor), so that explains that. One thing I've learnt is that I can't seem to disable regen completely. I can lower it a long way using paddles, but there doesn't seem to be a 'coast' function. I wonder if that's the effect of 2 motors or something.
Twin motors doesn't affect regen.

With this info in mind I drove it back to the dealers and it was definitely on D+ (minimum), yet still slowed to a stop at about 25% regen, unlike the EQA I drove last year.

That said, I loved it other than that. Yes, it's not a drivers car, but it's a very fine and comfortable way to move people about. Also supremely quiet, even at 70mph+. My lad and wife loved it too. My boy was telling his teachers at nursery how "I have an electric car", and they were confused until they saw it was for me, not him.

Anyway, yet, it _is_ like a more modern Yeti. Would definitely consider next year.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:52 pm
It won’t necessarily regen the front axle even if 4wd. Don’t know about other brands but all Teslas only regen on the rear motor except very rare scenarios. The front is only used consistently in track mode if you have it sending power to the front. I can’t remember exactly, I think the rear is a permanent magnet motor and more efficient at regen, vs the front induction motor, so that’s why it does all the work.
How about not having a sig at all?