Broccers wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:04 pmMarrakech
Do you hate him that much :lol:
That suggestion would be Barcelona 🍾
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: City breaks?

Post by JonMad »

Gavster wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:14 pm
JonMad wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 pm I need some tips for a New York City break over Christmas - will anything actually be open on Christmas Day, e.g. somewhere to eat? Any recommendations? (appreciate that's a bit niche)
Oooohhhh, I spent six weeks in NYC of xmas/nye 2019-20. There's loads to do in NYC around xmas so you won't have a shortage of ice rinks, xmas markets and general festive spirit. There was a light show called the winter lantern show on Staten Island which was pretty cool, especially because you need to get the staten island ferry past the statue of liberty to get there, which is cool in itself. I think the beers were cheap on the ferry too. I've no idea about open restaurants on xmas day, we grabbed a lobster from a store and I made a load of gravadlax and we had a seafood inspired xmas day. Then drank champagne on the roof of the apartment building we were in.

There's also Santacon which takes place in earlier December, if you're there, where thousands of people dress up as santa and then maraude around town on a massive bar crawl. It's a totally marmite event, with thousands of people loving it, while thousands absolutely detest it. Some bars will actually ban santa costumes around that time of year.
cool, thanks Gav!

Back on topic. yes, Budapest is great - I enjoyed the trams, bridges, views, old buildings, parks, open air spa. Didn't get to try the ruin bars though. Ping Steve B formerly of this parish, for tips. We went for his wedding and he's over there all the time.
Left over crest; tightens.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

So many places to choose from:

Prague
Krakow
Budapest
Rome
Florence
Berlin
Amsterdam
Barcelona (although I didn't love it)
Lisbon (not been yet, but the wife loved it)
I heard Ljubljana, Porto are nice too

... but, TBH @tim beat me to it, Bruges is my absolute favourite place to visit for a city break. It's bloody awesome.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

jamcg wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:57 pm Krakow. Auschwitz not for everyone, but produces some strange emotions- incredibly humbling, an extremely impressive display of German efficiency but with completely disgusting and despicable subject matter. The salt mines are worth going to as well, especially if you’ve been to any uk mining museums, as the way the workers were treat is night and day compared to there.

And perogi dumplings are amazing. As are the Obwarzanek- bagel type bread unique to krakow and sold everywhere from little stands in the street
I've been to Krakow quite a few times (we got married nearby), but I never fancied Auschwitz TBH. I have heard the salt mines are good though.

My favoured Polish cuisine is Bigos though, there used to be some weird pub thing (either in our adjacent to Kazimierz) where you could get a cracking Bigos, chips and a pint of beer for a couple of quid. I made sure to visit every time I was in town. :D
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:16 pm So many places to choose from:

Prague
Krakow
Budapest
Rome
Florence
Berlin
Amsterdam

... but, TBH @tim beat me to it, Bruges is my absolute favourite place to visit for a city break. It's bloody awesome.
If you’re in Belgium, I’d drive stop by Bruges for the day then go to Ghent. It feels like Bruges without the tourists.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Bruges is lovely indeed.
Have you considered Sheffield though? Could stop for a beer with Broccers.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

I vote for Munich
Fantastic Deutches Museum (technical stuff), nice aircraft museum about 25min from the city center, BMW World & museum.
It was also a very rich city so lots of impressive buildings, history, etc....
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jimexpl wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:58 am
duncs500 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:16 pm So many places to choose from:

Prague
Krakow
Budapest
Rome
Florence
Berlin
Amsterdam

If you’re in Belgium, I’d drive stop by Bruges for the day then go to Ghent. It feels like Bruges without the tourists.
The number of tourists in Bruges never bothered me too much, but I'll defo look into Ghent!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

JonMad wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 pm I need some tips for a New York City break over Christmas - will anything actually be open on Christmas Day, e.g. somewhere to eat? Any recommendations? (appreciate that's a bit niche)
Most places are open over Xmas/New Year. Thanksgiving is the only time places in the US tend to close. I know quite a lot of places (I’m in New York with my daughter right now.. last night we did a quick Macy’s/Sephora/Target and then Hudson Yards, Edge, High Line before dinner at STK and then back up to Times Square.) Let me know where you’re staying and I’ll possibly have some more local tips.

It can be a lovely time of year but can also be unbelievably cold! Make sure you bring adequate clothing! Sak’s 5th women’s expensive shoe area has a plain door that goes into a big wooden Ski Lodge with a bar area that has roaring log fires, sheepskin covered seats and some excellent drinks… seems to be full of men with a load of shopping bags dropped by their feet occasionally before the women rush off for more shopping, but is well worth a visit.
Cheers,

Ian
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

IanF wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:18 pm
Most places are open over Xmas/New Year. Thanksgiving is the only time places in the US tend to close. I know quite a lot of places (I’m in New York with my daughter right now.. last night we did a quick Macy’s/Sephora/Target and then Hudson Yards, Edge, High Line before dinner at STK and then back up to Times Square.) Let me know where you’re staying and I’ll possibly have some more local tips.

It can be a lovely time of year but can also be unbelievably cold! Make sure you bring adequate clothing! Sak’s 5th women’s expensive shoe area has a plain door that goes into a big wooden Ski Lodge with a bar area that has roaring log fires, sheepskin covered seats and some excellent drinks… seems to be full of men with a load of shopping bags dropped by their feet occasionally before the women rush off for more shopping, but is well worth a visit.
Belatedly, as I'm back from holiday and just saw this, thanks. I may have more questions!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Good point from Ian about the weather, it can be very cold and windy, worth having thermals. One day after it had been snowing, I decided to go for a run, even though it was below zero. I ran down our street towards the Hudson river, and when I turned onto 11th Avenue the full force of the wind hit me. Must have been about -25ºC with the wind chill. I IMMEDIATELY turned around and went home. Probably the only time that cold weather has stopped me from running!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Leftfield suggestion but Lucca in Northern Italy is fantastic. Two hour flight to Pisa airport and 40min taxi transfer to Lucca.

Its a medieval walled town which is 99% pedestrianised. Good street of shops, dozens (hundreds?) of great restaurants, a Roman ampitheatre which is now a square (circle?) with bars and restaurants and perfect for a couple of days break.

My parents bought a tiny apartment (bedsit really - formerly the office of the guy that owns the palazzo next door) a couple of decades ago and I've been going most years since I was 17... haven't got bored yet.

Also an hour on the train from Florence if you want to go to the Uffizi to see Dave, etc.

I've got tonnes of recommendations so let me know. Some arty farty B&W film pics below:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www ... hSdOoEMIm$
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I spent a day in Lucca last year, beautiful place. We hired bikes and rode round the outer wall. And as GG said, well placed if you fancy travelling out a bit.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

GG. wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:53 pm Leftfield suggestion but Lucca in Northern Italy is fantastic. Two hour flight to Pisa airport and 40min taxi transfer to Lucca.

Its a medieval walled town which is 99% pedestrianised. Good street of shops, dozens (hundreds?) of great restaurants, a Roman ampitheatre which is now a square (circle?) with bars and restaurants and perfect for a couple of days break.

My parents bought a tiny apartment (bedsit really - formerly the office of the guy that owns the palazzo next door) a couple of decades ago and I've been going most years since I was 17... haven't got bored yet.

Also an hour on the train from Florence if you want to go to the Uffizi to see Dave, etc.

I've got tonnes of recommendations so let me know. Some arty farty B&W film pics below:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www ... hSdOoEMIm$
Sounds nice!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Currently in Prague for a couple of days, and you can immediately see why no one uses our public transport. Equivalent of £11.50 for 3 days unlimited travel on metro/busses/trams and funicular railway on one ticket
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

IanF wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:18 pmSak’s 5th women’s expensive shoe area has a plain door that goes into a big wooden Ski Lodge with a bar area that has roaring log fires, sheepskin covered seats and some excellent drinks… seems to be full of men with a load of shopping bags dropped by their feet occasionally before the women rush off for more shopping, but is well worth a visit.
Back. Had fun. Forgot you'd mentioned this nugget, oh well, one of many for next time.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Berlin and Porto are two of my favourites
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Anyone been to Bruges during Valentine's week? We've been twice before in Winter, pre-children, and loved it and thought about taking the boy. But his half term is Valentine's week. We're really not into the Valentine's thing anyway, but dragging a near 8yo around and, I assume, getting stung with a Valentine's tax for everything and I can't help but think it'll be a bit shit and annoying.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:25 pm Anyone been to Bruges during Valentine's week? We've been twice before in Winter, pre-children, and loved it and thought about taking the boy. But his half term is Valentine's week. We're really not into the Valentine's thing anyway, but dragging a near 8yo around and, I assume, getting stung with a Valentine's tax for everything and I can't help but think it'll be a bit shit and annoying.
Stop being grumpy and enjoy the spectre of you rolling on Belgian beer, boy so hyped on chocolate that he's like Sonic, and lots of lace and lace-y things (they're famous for it!).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away