2023 Cheese Of The Year

mik

2023 Cheese Of The Year

Post by mik »

So if you don’t like cheese, you’re essentially a savage. FACT.

We had some superb items from IJMellis in Glasgow - including a fabulously nutty-toned compte, and a magnificent Stilton that came very close to may favourite blue (Roquefort).

But tonight we tucked into a gifted Brie-de-la-truffe from George Mewes. Which was exactly what it says on the tin (it wasn’t in a tin). Fabulous fresh French Brie infused with truffle. Never had this before and it was utterly marvelous. 8-)
Explosive Newt

Re: 2023 Cheese Of The Year

Post by Explosive Newt »

Continuing the Brie theme, Baron Bigod has been my absolute favourite this year. A Brie-de-Meaux with oodles of punch, a strong nutty mushroomy smell and taste as well as unctuous texture.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Not a new recommendation, but the Tesco Finest Chaource is very good in that mushroomy earthy kinda way
Their Reblichon is actually pretty good too.

Another one I've mentioned before, if you like a milder cheese, is the Asda Manchego knock-off. They call it "Iberico" and is actually (to my taste anyway) a really good Manchego, despite being cheap as chips. Being a cultural hethan, I quite like putting a few slices on an Italian antipasti.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

For me it would be Old Amsterdam

I'm very much a hard cheese person and this is just wonderful IMO
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:10 pm So if you don’t like cheese, you’re essentially a more evolved human. FACT.
EFA
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I still don't think cheese should be tainted by other things being infused or mixed into it, so I'm not sure about truffle brie.

Nothing new discovered in 2023, other than my growing intolerance of boring bland cheddars and suchlike. I did enjoy a fair bit of Jarlsberg and I rapidly polished off some creamy blue St Agur over the festive period, which I'm sure gives me gout usually and hasn't yet.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Not a new discovery but I keep going back to Oxford Blue which is a tremendous semi hard blue that goes awfully well on a cracker but is equally at home lending a sandwich some heft.

Thanks for the above recommendations.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:26 am I still don't think cheese should be tainted by other things being infused or mixed into it, so I'm not sure about truffle brie.
I’m generally 100% with you on that. But this was very much an exception to that rule.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:54 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:26 am I still don't think cheese should be tainted by other things being infused or mixed into it, so I'm not sure about truffle brie.
I’m generally 100% with you on that. But this was very much an exception to that rule.
Slightly sticking up for the "cheese with stuff in" camp, I'm going to give a nice Morbier a special mention.

OK, Morbier isn't my *favourite* cheese - it's not even my favourite hard cheese (it might not even be my favourite hard cheese from Franche-Comté!) - but I did recently-ish discover Morbiflette. Like a Tartaflette, but with Morbier instead of Reblichon. Obviously it's as good as you'd expect for anything with that much cheese, cream and wine in it, but I think I'd argue that the slightly higher, more iron-y flavour makes it a better pairing than Tartaflette for a big hunk of medium-rare red meat.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

This year I have decided that plastic cheese slices are the only cheese that is acceptable on a burger.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Nefarious wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:08 am Slightly sticking up for the "cheese with stuff in" camp, I'm going to give a nice Morbier a special mention.
I've not tried it but having looked it up, is the layer of ash in the middle not just part of the process of making it? It's not like the Wensleydale with cranberries sort of crap you find in the shops at Christmas, anyway.

I quite like sage derby too. Truffle essence, still doubt I would. Most truffle essence isn't even truffle based for one, but it's always something you can add yourself if you really wanted it.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:16 am This year I have decided that plastic cheese slices are the only cheese that is acceptable on a burger.
But stilton?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:16 am This year I have decided that plastic cheese slices are the only cheese that is acceptable on a burger.
Glad to hear you've caught up at last :D

The way they melt and stick it all together, you don't get that with "real" cheese.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:24 am
I quite like sage derby too. Truffle essence, still doubt I would. Most truffle essence isn't even truffle based for one, but it's always something you can add yourself if you really wanted it.
Maybe there are different methods, or maybe it was my poor description, but this stuff had lumps of truffle through it.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:41 am Continuing the Brie theme, Baron Bigod has been my absolute favourite this year. A Brie-de-Meaux with oodles of punch, a strong nutty mushroomy smell and taste as well as unctuous texture.
Made by the same people who bought the farmland at our barn 😄

Never tried it, not a fan of soft cheeses or really cheesy cheeses, but everyone seems to love it
Cheers, Harry
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:24 am
Nefarious wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:08 am Slightly sticking up for the "cheese with stuff in" camp, I'm going to give a nice Morbier a special mention.
I've not tried it but having looked it up, is the layer of ash in the middle not just part of the process of making it? It's not like the Wensleydale with cranberries sort of crap you find in the shops at Christmas, anyway.
Yeah, I'm aware that I'm pushing the definition of "cheese with stuff in".

It's a kinda half-way house. Traditionally, Morbier was the cheese the farmers would make for themselves from leftovers, so they used the ash as a protective layer between each layer of leftovers until the barrel was full. Nowerdays, it's essentially the same process as Comte, but with the addition of a minerally/irony ash seam.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

All of the cheeses!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I love Morbier and always thought the black bit in the middle was mould :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:30 am
mik wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:10 pm So if you don’t like cheese, you’re essentially a more evolved human. FACT.
EFA
More cheese for the rest of us!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:23 pm I love Morbier and always thought the black bit in the middle was mould :lol:
It's Morbierin' time!