2. Would be delighted / proud to accept one
38%
3. Would accept with a little reluctance
6%
4. Would accept with a lot of reluctance
No votes
5. Really not sure
6%
6. Would not accept as would not like or would not see value in holding an honour
No votes
7. Would not accept as don't see the point of the system
No votes
8. Would not accept as actively object to the system or it's fairness
25%
9. Would not accept as a protest against the system/government/establishment/other
6%
10. Placeholder for stoopid poll creator
No votes

Total votes: 16

mik

Would you UK honours?

Post by mik »

MBE/OBE/CBE/PPE etc.

If bestowed a UK honour, would you partake?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: Would you UK honours?

Post by Gavin »

I saw a meme which said "which group wouyld you rather be assocviated with" and I found that I much preferred the "no ta" group to the money grubbing parasites who had acepted. Of course some good guys get one - Sir Mo Farah for instance, but the idea that a security risk to the UK can get a life peerage for giving money to a political party, and then vote on UK legislation seems pretty ropey way of doing things.

Ditch the whole rotten system, replace with something that simply honours good eggs.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I do not wish to look like a disgraced Tory MP so I would not accept in principle.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Would accept with a little reluctance but would never use it or want it to be used in my name. Unless I was given it in Liz Truss' resignation honors, then I'd not accept!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What others have said really. Whole system is corrupt and should be thrown out alongside the HoL.

There are undoubtedly many very deserving people that get recognised, but the taint of the cronyism would undermine any value.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'd be proud to get one, just because a few knobs get one shouldn't de-value what is for 90% a really positive bit of recognition that is given to all sorts of people doing great things.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I think if I had done something decent to earn it, I would take it. Wouldn’t like the idea of one for a big political donation / being someone’s buddy.

The water is a bit muddied because of the nomination process. As in, you’re more likely to get one if someone you know knows the nomination process. Or worse, a company that takes a few thousand to write the nomination for you.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I quite fancy a Knighthood. (And a suit of armour if I'm honest).
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:21 pm I'd be proud to get one, just because a few knobs get one shouldn't de-value what is for 90% a really positive bit of recognition that is given to all sorts of people doing great things.
Very much this, my old electrical instructor Brian Pearce got an MBE for working so hard for the wildlife haven. Huge amounts of work for an amazing project.

I find it odd the minority ruin it for people, it’s a lovely way to celebrate people we need more of.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I would gladly accept the honour and I’d imagine I’d feel like a marauding Viking warrior taking a Saxon wench back to the homeland!! 😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

A friends Mum was awarded an OBE for services to farming some years ago. She's quite well known in farming circles - she went to the palace and was given her OBE by the then Prince of Wales Charles, and she casually commented that he should pop by the farm for a visit. A few months later she got a call from his PPS confirming the dates for the visit! She'd forgotten all about the comment till then.

It was Charles' first public engagement since he announced his engagement to Camilla. She hosted Charles along with heads from LR, JCB and others around her (large) kitchen table for a conflab. My friend says Charles was lovely to meet - very down to earth and really concerned about farming issues and the work her Mum and done there and in the community.
The artist formerly known as _Who_