The Movie Thread

DaveE

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by DaveE »

Rebel Moon

This is Netflix's latest PoS

Honestly, how on earth do these things get green lit?

If you asked an AI to write you a film that combines Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, a dash of Peaky Blinders, Game of Thrones, and Clash of the Titans, it would probably come up with something better than this

My wife and I kept high-fiving each time I guessed the next line

Utter crap, and only the first part of a two part series
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Godzilla Minus One

Not what I expected - primarily a story about PTSD, repentance, trauma. I can see why everyone rates it, it's very well done, and the use of the classic Godzilla score is perfect. Didn't quite hit a note with me, but well worth a watch.

Definately worth watching on the big screen - 8 Stomps out of 10
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

DaveE wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:34 pm Rebel Moon

If you asked an AI to write you a film that combines Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, a dash of Peaky Blinders, Game of Thrones, and Clash of the Titans, it would probably come up with something better than this

Don’t know why everyone makes a big deal of Zack Snyder. Not heard anyone rate anything he’s done yet they bill all his stuff like he’s Stephen Spielberg or something
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Indiana Jones 5

Good, well paced action scenes but a meh plot that left you not caring about the characters. Not a patch on the old.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Saltburn

A really gripping psychological thriller where you never saw the arc of the main character’s development coming. Tremendously realised characters (Rosamund Pike and Richard E Grant must have had an absolute ball). Ending a bit overblown but I’m probably nitpicking.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

jamcg wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:15 pm

Don’t know why everyone makes a big deal of Zack Snyder. Not heard anyone rate anything he’s done yet they bill all his stuff like he’s Stephen Spielberg or something
I have no idea how he keeps getting projects greenlit. The reviews from this have bene predictably bad across the board - he did pitch it as a Star Wars movie a number of years ago but it went nowhere after the takeover.

FWIW, I really liked his Dawn of the Dead remake and thought Watchmen was ok, but apart from that, he's made one turd after another.

We have Saltburn to watch (which seems to be the "marmite" movie of the year) and also There's Something In the Barn which is a Christmas movie about Scandinavian barn elves.
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just sat through this and there's clearly a big budget behind it, but the derivative nature of the plot, script, costumes, ship designs... Just ugh. The "ending" had me belming hard too.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Spoiler alert for Rebel Moon
Spoiler
And the whole 'cloud city' Lando double cross thing that's obvious from a mile away
mik

Post by mik »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:53 am Saltburn
We watched this last night on your recommendation. Enjoyed., and didn’t see many of the twists coming. Cheers!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Anyone going to see the Ferrari movie? Reviews don't look too bad.

Went to this the other day as my dad knew him. Don't miss the binders full of cuttings, letters and interviews, you'll need a good hour to get through them!

https://www.museumsworcestershire.org.u ... -one-hero/
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

mik wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:15 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:53 am Saltburn
We watched this last night on your recommendation. Enjoyed., and didn’t see many of the twists coming. Cheers!
Me neither, although my partner did!
I should warn it’s not exactly family viewing… even uncomfortable at times although I am glad I watched it. Would be interesting to know what you think @Ascender
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Barry wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:38 pm

Just sat through this and there's clearly a big budget behind it, but the derivative nature of the plot, script, costumes, ship designs... Just ugh. The "ending" had me belming hard too.
I've just watched it and it's bobbins 😂 WTF is going on with Charlie Hunhams accent?? His Belfast accent is very much in the spirit of Russell Crowe in Robin Hood. It's terrible.
Spoiler
The spider lady was just like the Borg queen from Star Trek- First Contact, especially in the way she's descended from the ceiling
and this goes with previous comments regarding similarities with other movies.

In summary, it's rubbish.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Still no Saltburn, hopefully tonight! We went to see Wonka at the cinema yesterday though and it was utterly charming, uplifting and great fun. Just something that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Slightly distracted by someone behind us who was scrabbling around noisily in his box of popcorn for the entire movie, he must have had some magical box of everlasting stuff.
Cheers,

Mike.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

McSwede wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:08 pm His Belfast accent is very much in the spirit of Russell Crowe in Robin Hood.
Nornironham Forest?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney+)

It was surprisingly not that awful, and captured some of the essence of the first two, while usefully adding newness and a nice wrap at the end.

Story as bonkers as the others, but it didn't quite matter. Phoebe Waller-Bridges did a decent job of lifting a rather clunky plot line.

I was suitably entertained. 6/10 whip cracks.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

nuttinnew wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:59 pm
McSwede wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:08 pm His Belfast accent is very much in the spirit of Russell Crowe in Robin Hood.
Nornironham Forest?
Russell tried several accents during that movie and they were all a bit shit. Charlie Hunham hit that low water mark in Rebel Moon.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:49 pm Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney+)

It was surprisingly not that awful, and captured some of the essence of the first two, while usefully adding newness and a nice wrap at the end.

Story as bonkers as the others, but it didn't quite matter. Phoebe Waller-Bridges did a decent job of lifting a rather clunky plot line.

I was suitably entertained. 6/10 whip cracks.
I must have seen a different film. It seemed to consist entirely of overly long action scenes that didn't really advance the plot, desperate attempts to involve old characters that didn't add anything to the plot and a weird ending that they couldn't be arsed to write a plot for.

Flimsy and pointless.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Looking for something to watch last night and the wife picked the latest Jurassic park film.

Fuck me you lot weren’t kidding. What a load of tosh
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 pm Leave the World Behind

Really enjoyed this one. Great cast, interest story, some cool camera shots and angles.

8 demented deer out of 10
Watched this last night. I think it was rated 6.5 on IMDB, but we liked the cast so went in with an open mind. Really good on the whole, I agree with 8 out of 10. In the early stages before anything interesting was happening, it did kind of feel like the director was just showing off his ability to create suspense where none existed through camera angles and music. The whole thing generally worked though, and had a slightly more cinematic feel than a lot of recent movies I've watched.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Watched Dune (2021) for the second time the other day because I got given it by Sky which I'm now giving up, so will lose it. So I just wanted it fresh in the mind for the next film which is due out in 2024. Tremendous film.