THAT phone call

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: THAT phone call

Post by Ascender »

Sorry to hear that news Dave. My thoughts are with you, your family and everyone who knew your Dad.

RIP.
Cheers,

Mike.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ah - so sorry to hear this :(
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Condolences Dave. It's good that you got to come back and say goodbye.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

My condolences :(
I'm glad you got back and that he was surrounded by good people.
John

Post by John »

Sorry for your loss.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Wow, such sad news, and our heartfelt condolences to you all. Pleased that you managed to get back to be with him at the end; it must've been great comfort to him to have been enveloped in the love of his nearest and very dearest people when his time came.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

My condolences to you and your family
Cheers,

Ian
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Sorry to hear this Dave, my condolences. As mentioned, at least you managed to make it back to see him.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Sorry to see the news, glad you got to come and say your goodbyes in person.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Sorry to hear about your Dad, it sounds like he had a good group of friends and family who cared and ut must ease the soul a bit.

A drink for Daves Dad!

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I echo the sentiments above. Chin chin to Dave's Dad.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Very sorry to hear this but it sounds like he went in a peaceful and happy way. Glad you were able to get to the UK to be there for him.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Condolences from us Dave. I'm glad you managed to get back to see him though and at least he was surrounded by his friends and loved ones at the end.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

So sorry to hear your news, as others have said, glad you got back in time to see him.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Been a shitty few weeks, and my Dad ended up passing on my birthday which will make future celebrations interesting, but what you gonna do? All steps forward count right?

Just to say though, for a bunch of blokes I met via the internet in what, 1998 (?), many of whom I've never physically met, this place has turned out to be a real home from home, and very much the first bunch of people to offer support, comments etc. I'm forever grateful to you all - thanks (YC).
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a stressful time. The birthday is a tricky one too. I had an ex who very unusually shared the same birthday with her older sister, despite being several years apart. Sadly the older sister died in her thirties and it brought a whole new dimension to the birthday. All I can say is that for her it became important to make a conscious point to acknowledge that loss on that day, rather than just try to get on as normal.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

KiwiDave wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:34 pm Thank you everyone for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Been a shitty few weeks, and my Dad ended up passing on my birthday which will make future celebrations interesting, but what you gonna do? All steps forward count right?

Just to say though, for a bunch of blokes I met via the internet in what, 1998 (?), many of whom I've never physically met, this place has turned out to be a real home from home, and very much the first bunch of people to offer support, comments etc. I'm forever grateful to you all - thanks (YC).
Looking at the positives with the negatives- Next year will be definitely be difficult, but in years to come I can see it being a blessing. I lost my dad in 1998, and after 25 years the anniversary of his death can sometimes pass by and be lost in the busyness of life. I know that sounds shitty but it happens.

This way you’ll never forget the day of his passing, which in the short term adds pain to a day that should be joyful, but in time it’ll morph into a day to celebrate both your birthday and the life of your dad.
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:41 am This way you’ll never forget the day of his passing, which in the short term adds pain to a day that should be joyful, but in time it’ll morph into a day to celebrate both your birthday and the life of your dad.
Wise words here. It’s over a decade since I lost my dad, and I’d got into an annual routine where I’d collect and drive my mum to the site where we spread his ashes in order to lay some flowers. It’s something around 40 miles away from her current abode at a location that was special to him, so should this occur on a weekday, I’d take some time off from work as needed.

This year I realised 3 days after his anniversary that I’d bloody missed it. Even if I’d realised 3 days before - my diary was full of stuff that just couldn’t be moved. Called my mum to apologise and she’d made her way there on her own. Felt awful. :(
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

It may help if you celebrate your father’s life on that day rather than mourn his loss? I’ve always said at my own funeral I want people drinking champagne and celebrating my life.

@mik that sucks, but I’m sure your mum understands
Cheers,

Ian