Your fleet running reports

PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by PaulJ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:49 pm
PaulJ wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:12 pm Dark wheels are for those too lazy to regularly clean them properly.
Not true !!

I'm very lazy and I hate dark wheels.
And refreshingly honest. Well done that man.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:49 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:10 pm Each to their own, personally I hate darker wheels on a dark silver / grey car (and in most colour schemes actually). I think the lighter colour shows off the wheels better. It's a popular option so maybe I'm in a minority of one.
No, dark wheel fuckers just ruin lovely wheels.

Don’t let peer pressure point you to the path of darkness.

Dave!
Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting dark or darker, just slightly darker. Like 2/10 on the darkness scale.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:52 pm Looks good. How dare you pick a colour others don’t agree with 😂
I've got lots planned for the car, I'm sure there's lots of elements people won't like. I'm loving putting together my dream Elise though, there's plenty of standard low miles ones for the purists. :)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Matty wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:44 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:10 pm Each to their own, personally I hate darker wheels on a dark silver / grey car (and in most colour schemes actually). I think the lighter colour shows off the wheels better. It's a popular option so maybe I'm in a minority of one.

Dave!
Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting dark or darker, just slightly darker. Like 2/10 on the darkness scale.
Wheels come in probably 1/10, 5/10 and 10/10. Not that I would want to choose anything other than what I've got. On brighter colour (or black) cars maybe a bit darker works IMO, but I still think light wheels look good against any colour personally. With the 7 (black) I had gun metal initially then gold, with the R26 (white) I had black (but actually think gun metal works best). Just a matter of taste though, different wheels, different car colours, even different accent colours that match can look good. It's nice to see different looks.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:50 pm I’m sure they look even better in real life where you can see them properly in 3d
Totally this, they're have more of a 3D visual impact than a lot of wheels.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Anyway, at least it generated some conversation. :lol:

Edit - I've been bloody aching ever since I changed the wheels, I'm not cut out for working on cars! :cry: On the upside @mik, the new jack works a charm.

I want to get rid of my old jack, it's a lightweight one, always been in a garage but somehow still has a speckle of rust. It's pretty old. I'd happily give it away, but if something happens with it are you asking to be sued? Seems a shame to chuck it away.
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:37 pm On the upside @mik, the new jack works a charm.
8-)
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:37 pm Edit - I've been bloody aching ever since I changed the wheels, I'm not cut out for working on cars!
I thought they were meant to be light? :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Matty wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:25 pm
duncs500 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:37 pm Edit - I've been bloody aching ever since I changed the wheels, I'm not cut out for working on cars!
I thought they were meant to be light? :lol:
They are! But I think with doing it in the garage surrounded by crap (garage has suddenly got a bit messy) I've been lifting in an awkward manner. Or I'm just weak... :(
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve been doing some Santa stuff. Ordered my dad a pair of LED headlights for his Caterham and set about secretly changing them tonight.
They come as a complete unit
After reading the Caterham assembly guide it tells you “This is the trickiest job on the car” which seemed odd so I did some further digging. Replacing the headlights is about 6 hours of work according to people who have done it themselves. The whole bracket needs to come off, and it’s bolted through the wishbone and the wires are a horrible bastard to the guide through 4 90 degree bends.
Not wanting to go down shit creek without a paddle for the second time in as many months I just disassembled the bowl.
Snipped a few wires and added spade connectors which is the general method everyone seems to recommend to reduce unnecessary suffering.
It now reminds me of a frog
I don’t think I can fit the cowl on myself without damaging the paint on it so that’s as far as I got.

I rewired the old headlights and assembled them - being a sturdy enclosed unit with a threaded bolt at the base and 360 degrees of freedom I think I can turn these into a cool set of desk lights or something.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I see your RJ11/RJ45 tester there.

Also, you have old man hands now, like me. I remember when you were just knee high to a grasshopper and talking shit all the time.

Now you are talking shit, but have crinkly hands. Welcome to being old 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes I'm forever chasing and repairing damaged CAT5e cables nibbled by rodents. My beautiful feminine hands are no more :(
mik

Post by mik »

Christmas present approved. 8-)
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Good work 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) I don't remember your dad having a 620R! :shock: Beast. Does he let you drive it?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Matty wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:44 pm

Dave!
Darker is still dark, unacceptable.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:22 am 8-) I don't remember your dad having a 620R! :shock: Beast. Does he let you drive it?
I drove it once but I don’t ask - as someone whose body can barely thermoregulate, sitting in a car with no AC, extremely hot cabin and heavy physical steering knackers me pretty fast and I’m a sweaty puddle after 15 mins. When I did drive it I was very concentrated on not destroying the gearbox. Needs to be driven a while to get used to it so that’s where I am with that :lol:
dan

Post by dan »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:22 am 8-) I don't remember your dad having a 620R! :shock: Beast. Does he let you drive it?
I look after one for a guy and they're not as beastly as you might imagine, being rotrex charged they've got no low down torque and by the time you've got them wound up enough to feel quick the aero kills the speed.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dan wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:34 am
I look after one for a guy and they're not as beastly as you might imagine, being rotrex charged they've got no low down torque and by the time you've got them wound up enough to feel quick the aero kills the speed.
Interesting. Was that on an aeroscreen?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:07 am
I drove it once but I don’t ask - as someone whose body can barely thermoregulate, sitting in a car with no AC, extremely hot cabin and heavy physical steering knackers me pretty fast and I’m a sweaty puddle after 15 mins. When I did drive it I was very concentrated on not destroying the gearbox. Needs to be driven a while to get used to it so that’s where I am with that :lol:
Does he get out much in it? I'm trying to think of other sports cars you mentioned of his, but I thought he always had high powered German saloons TBH (although my memory is shit).