The Movie Thread

DaveE

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by DaveE »

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

One of the best live performances ever IMO

I'm a big fan of theirs and was so pleased to see that not only has the album been rereleased, but it got a small cinema release too

Went to see it a couple of weeks ago, and it was so good

I would recommend it to anyone who likes music (whatever genres) as it's just a great performance
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik

Post by mik »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:09 am
Living

Bill Nighy being Bill Nighy. Amiee Lou Wood being young and fresh faced. Great acting, again

Frankly, I'd watch Bill Nighy do the washing up. This one was quite moving and I really enjoyed watching the two of them working together.

7/10
I posted about this one back in May, so we may as well have the reviews side-by-side :geek:

Living.

Slow and plodding, but - that’s exactly as the director intended. Rather moving.

Bill Nighy is just fabulous. 8-)

Thoroughly enjoyed it. 8 paper shufflers out of 10.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:29 am Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

I'm a big fan of theirs and was so pleased to see that not only has the album been rereleased, but it got a small cinema release too

I would recommend it to anyone who likes music (whatever genres) as it's just a great performance
I'm going to try to find somewhere showing this - the CD has been one of my most listened-to things over the years. Timeless perfection.
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:18 pm InitialD thing
Did someone tell Bosslogic, who did that poster the car would be four wheel drive and be time travelling so it could create tyresmoke in two directions at once?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:38 pm
jamcg wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:18 pm InitialD thing
Did someone tell Bosslogic, who did that poster the car would be four wheel drive and be time travelling so it could create tyresmoke in two directions at once?
I didn’t even notice that but now you’ve said it’s really obvious. The rear tyre closest also has what appears to be fire smoke rather than typical tyre smoke too
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:37 pm

I'm going to try to find somewhere showing this - the CD has been one of my most listened-to things over the years. Timeless perfection.
It's well worth it Simon, to see it on a big screen with a decent sound system

Such a great band, concert
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:04 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:37 pm

It's well worth it Simon, to see it on a big screen with a decent sound system

Such a great band, concert
It’s looking unlikely, sadly. Nowhere showing it anywhere I’m going to be in the near future ☹️
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:25 am The Father

Has this been mentioned before?

I thoroughly enjoyed that. 8-)

Hopkins was brilliant. Has he ever been otherwise in anything? :?

Olivia Coleman good too.

But the structure and direction was just fabulous. Managing to create the view from the point of the old man - his confusion was palpable. Masterful.

9.5 hang on - has someone mentioned this before? @JLv3.0 never comes to visit any more. :cry: . Has someone moved my watch?
Coonsil telly debut on C4 this Saturday coming.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Hungrier Games V. Actually pretty good if about half an hour too long.

Kids wanted to watch all the originals too and either I've got a huge hard spot for Jennifer Lawrence or they've aged quite well. In comparison to recent MCUs mostly tissue paper plots and relentless but meaningless action they actually develop a tiny bit of tension.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Riders of Justice - batshit but excellent. On All 4 at the moment.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/riders_of_justice
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Watched There Will Be Blood on the train home. Second time I’ve seen it, the first time was around 7 years ago. Found it far more captivating this time, Daniel Day-Lewis really was acting like he was possessed, crazy levels of intensity. Really can’t fault anything, so it’s getting a 10/10.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Leave the World Behind

Really enjoyed this one. Great cast, interest story, some cool camera shots and angles.

8 demented deer out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Violent Night

:lol: x 100

David Harbour plays a very alcoholic Santa Clause (who happened to have been a Nordic warrior 1100 years ago) who stumbles on a rich family being held hostage - and decides to do something about it.

The combination of cheery Christmas music and violent killings is brilliant. Proper dark in places but then there’s also the sweet kid who helps to save the day. It’s as daft and hilarious as it sounds

9 Santa taking out 20 special forces guys armed only with a sledge hammer and a candy cane sucked down into a spike out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I've been making a list of the less common Christmas films, or simply ones I haven't watched for a while. Already watched Trading Places this year:

Long Kiss Goodnight
Trading Places
Planes Trains and Automobiles (yes, I know it's a Thanksgiving film but for us in Yurp that's basically equivalent)
The Italian Job (Michael Caine version) - not actually a Christmas film but always seemed to be shown around Boxing Day during my childhood
Peter's Friends (new year rather than Christmas)
In Bruges - I reckon I can describe this without naming it as a Christmas-time travelogue to a medieval European city featuring a dwarf and can probably tempt the whole family to sit down to watch.

I'm sure there were plenty of other films which I associate with Christmas because they were on telly during the holidays when I was a child - Indiana Jones, The Great Escape, all the Carry On films, for instance - but I'm trying to think of the slightly more obscure ones if anyone has any suggestions.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Everyone always goes on about die hard being a Christmas film, but in reality lethal weapon is the ultimate Christmas action film- every time I hear jingle bell rock I want to out it on :lol:
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:54 am I'm trying to think of the slightly more obscure ones if anyone has any suggestions.
Tangerine is non-stop energy, not for the prudish though:

Tokyo Godfathers for a bonkers heart warmer:

and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for Michelle Monaghan in the sexy Santa dress.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Festival of the Seven Fishes / A Christmas Feast is a lovely little Christmas movie…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gremlins.

On a similar note after watching an ad for "Disturbance in the Force" I found a copy of the Star Wars Holiday special. Halfway through it is really really weird and not in an interesting way, in a very very crap way.

Looking forward to watching the doco now.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Peterlplp wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:39 am Michelle Monaghan in the sexy Santa dress.
Google…. Giggidy!!!