Prodrive P25

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Prodrive P25

Post by Jobbo »

I've heard about this on a podcast recently and seen the below on Twitter. Has it finally been released to the press to drive?

The interior is pretty nasty, like someone has made a kit car with any old interior bits and just covered them in sticky-backed fabric. And as a restomod I don't get it; it looks pretty much identical to a 22B other than the wheels and slightly tinted rear lights. The gearbox is supposedly something you have to get used to, as well. Not sure Prodrive are quite at the Singer or Alfaholics stage of desirability.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:00 pm And as a restomod I don't get it; it looks pretty much identical to a 22B other than the wheels and slightly tinted rear lights.
I wasn't a fan when I heard the price, and I'd agree the inside looks crap. Visually it is very 22B, but with a little more aggression, and those familiar blistered arches are cut away quite significantly to accept the larger wheels. I think the exterior visuals are fabulous. 8-)

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Not sure I can see any great difference except the cutaway arches, lowering, the terrible mirrors and the unfinished-looking grille area. Just making something which looks the same isn't the sort of subtle improvement you expect from a restomod.

Are all the photos from the nearside so you can't see how the cut rear arch interacts with the filler flap?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:18 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:00 pm And as a restomod I don't get it; it looks pretty much identical to a 22B other than the wheels and slightly tinted rear lights.
I wasn't a fan when I heard the price, and I'd agree the inside looks crap. Visually it is very 22B, but with a little more aggression, and those familiar blistered arches are cut away quite significantly to accept the larger wheels. I think the exterior visuals are fabulous. 8-)

That exterior does look really nice, but boy, that interior... It's a strange combination of a shed-load of alcantara, plastic and carbon fibre. Surely they could have done something better?
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

It still looks stupid having that bodyshell with 19" wheels on it, when it was designed for a max of 16/17" wheels at a base design, no matter how much you cut away the arches. Same as almost all older cars of that ilk with massive wheels on them, when they were never designed with them in mind.

It's just the wrong scale. I can't look at that without thinking of an RC car with a plastic bodyshell but the wheels being out of proportion. :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve always wanted a C4 Corvette but unfortunately it has the ugliest interior ever fitted to a road car. So if I buy one I will have all the plastics trimmed in alcantara. It will still look terrible, but less terrible than cheap plastic. I feel this is exactly the thought process that happened with the interior of this P25.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I love the C4 Corvette - I was a bit obsessed with them when Fast Lane bought an import (around 1988) and ran it as a long termer. Saw one drive past in New York a couple of weeks ago and it still looked amazing, and so small compared to anything around it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah I think the C4 has gone profoundly out of fashion and back in again. They look brilliant. Also as discussed in that wheel thread, Buzzsaws are great wheels.

Seeing them side by side the wheels on the Prodrive look hilariously out of proportion. I think I'd rather have an original.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

C4 corvette grand sport. Yes please 🤤

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:05 pm Yeah I think the C4 has gone profoundly out of fashion and back in again. They look brilliant. Also as discussed in that wheel thread, Buzzsaws are great wheels.

Seeing them side by side the wheels on the Prodrive look hilariously out of proportion. I think I'd rather have an original.
Having watched this, I've changed my mind. I'd sacrifice a limb for the Prodrive.

An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

oooh....

1. Ride looks "focussed" at low speeds. And moderate speeds actually. :?
2. It doesn't exactly sound unpleasant, but it's a shame it doesn't have the warble
3. Why not have a left paddle too? Must save all of 100g :(

But otherwise...... mummy :shock: - there is a lot to like there. I still think it looks fabulous too. 8-)
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:56 am oooh....

1. Ride looks "focussed" at low speeds. And moderate speeds actually. :?
2. It doesn't exactly sound unpleasant, but it's a shame it doesn't have the warble
3. Why not have a left paddle too? Must save all of 100g :(

But otherwise...... mummy :shock: - there is a lot to like there. I still think it looks fabulous too. 8-)
3. Rally cars only have one paddle.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Left hand permanently on the handbrake. Perhaps not on the road.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

The fuck are those headlights? Is this Max Power circa 1998?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Beany wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:44 am The fuck are those headlights? Is this Max Power circa 1998?
Ironically it took until 2001 and the bugeye Impreza for Prodrive to attach anything like that on the rally cars:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

That reminds me, Mr. Dickie has had a go too; https://www.evo.co.uk/subaru/206206/pro ... 023-review
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Many, many cars above that in my £500k-to-buy-one-car list
Cheers,

Ian