Gavster's Mince Pie Ranking 2021 (now inc NEW 2022 updates)

Nefarious

Re: Gavster's Mince Pie Ranking 2021 (now inc NEW 2022 updates)

Post by Nefarious »

Worth mentioning on this thread - I've had a couple of boxes of the Morrison's in-store bakery mince pies. They're quite a different kettle of fish to the usual mince pie offering - mostly down to the stuff/pastry ratio. I haven't fully decided if this is a good thing or not, but the pastry is like an undersweetened shortbread and the ratio is like 2/3 pastry to 1/3 filling, making them more reminiscent of a filled biscuit than a pie.
Jury is still out, but I'm allowing another box, y'know, in the interests of science.

Oh, and at risk of offending the purists, I'll share my own mince-pie inspired "cake" for the old lady choir I bake for - a hybrid of a mince pie and an american cookie dough pie. Soft cookie base, mince meat filling, layer of marzipan, frangipane top. Came out pretty good, even if I do say so myself.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Nefarious wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:53 am Worth mentioning on this thread - I've had a couple of boxes of the Morrison's in-store bakery mince pies. They're quite a different kettle of fish to the usual mince pie offering - mostly down to the stuff/pastry ratio. I haven't fully decided if this is a good thing or not, but the pastry is like an undersweetened shortbread and the ratio is like 2/3 pastry to 1/3 filling, making them more reminiscent of a filled biscuit than a pie.
Jury is still out, but I'm allowing another box, y'know, in the interests of science.

Oh, and at risk of offending the purists, I'll share my own mince-pie inspired "cake" for the old lady choir I bake for - a hybrid of a mince pie and an american cookie dough pie. Soft cookie base, mince meat filling, layer of marzipan, frangipane top. Came out pretty good, even if I do say so myself.
But more importantly, did the old ladies sing your praises?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:20 am
Nefarious wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:53 am Worth mentioning on this thread - I've had a couple of boxes of the Morrison's in-store bakery mince pies. They're quite a different kettle of fish to the usual mince pie offering - mostly down to the stuff/pastry ratio. I haven't fully decided if this is a good thing or not, but the pastry is like an undersweetened shortbread and the ratio is like 2/3 pastry to 1/3 filling, making them more reminiscent of a filled biscuit than a pie.

But more importantly, did the old ladies sing your praises?
B'dum tish :lol:

I'll probably burn in hell for laughing at Alzheimers sufferers, but they are genuinely comedy gold. Put together 30 cantankerous, sweary, socially-uninhibited grannies whose idea of secret whispering is yelling, add in the ability to repeat the same joke 5 times an hour, and you have a sit-com better than any telly!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Those Morrisons ones are the favourite in our house. I think they're great!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I'll look out for them at the local Morrisons. I've also been recommended the Co-op 2 pack of deep filled mince pies.

However, so far, it's Waitrose brown butter mince pies in first place, with Tesco finest in second place, and third place is currently being deliberated over.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Possibly controversial but Aldi’s Ballycastle mince pies are really fucking good. They have a fake Baileys type filling in them.