Locking wheel nuts/bolts

Locknuts

1. Essential
No votes
2. Ideally keep them
12%
3. Don’t bother - any determined thief can remove locknuts like <snaps fingers> that.
35%
4. Get rid - feckin liability if they fail.
53%

Total votes: 17

mik

Re: Locking wheel nuts/bolts

Post by mik »

Dear Mr Jumper,

It has come to our attention that you are a naughty boy.

If travelling into London, you must ensure you have fitted in advance to your Bentley:
> Locking wheel nuts (minimum of 5 per wheel)
> Locking wheel centre caps (minimum 1 per wheel)
> Incendiary jacking points (minimum 1 per jacking point)
> Caribean Puffer Fish poison applied to the rear faces of the wheel spokes (minimum of 5.2 spokes per wheel)

Yours sincerely,
Your Insurance Company.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:26 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:25 am If you remove one of the standard security features from your car and then the wheels are nicked, I can imagine that would be an obvious get-out. No hysteria required :lol:
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:22 am .... is this a thing that's ever actually happened, or it just the usual internet hysteria OMG YOUR INSURANCE IS NOT VALID ?
I don't have case reports for every wheel theft in the UK - how on earth would I know if it's happened to someone else? And I've not had my own wheels nicked.

But if you don't bother to check your own insurance policy and make your own mind up, that's fine.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I only have one very large nut :lol: (on one of my cars).

I did think previously that this means technically I do not have locking wheels nuts now. I'm not sure bringing a breaker bar along to nick them is all that likely to happen... Plus given the number out there - if they turn up on eBay I think i'd have a good chance of identifying them (at least with the couple of kerb marks currently on them!)...
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Do people still nick alloys these days? Surely nicking the whole car has become much easier to do now and will be much less hassle to go to than trying to jack it up, get alloys off, have something lined-up to transport said alloys...
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Maybe we need locking front bumper/headlight fasteners now, since thieves seem to strip parts and whole front ends off cars these days.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I think there are certain cars that do need better security for their headlights. I'm sure I saw a video of panamera or Cayenne headlight being nicked with no tools.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

E36 M3 bumpers used to be a popular thing to steal, very easy to remove and - at the time - worth good money.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Corsa’s were all the rage a few years ago, full front ends getting nicked, they had it in bits in a matter of minutes