Harry’s Garage

mik

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by mik »

Also - is there anything less boring than a high BHP EV accelerating away from a camera? It should be 8-) but it’s absolutely :cry:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Looks shit, points for being such an ungainly behemoth that it makes 22s look undersized though.
An absolute unit
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I can believe the range: my first thoughts when he was walking around it in the garage was its Cd would be dreadful and this bears that out, vs a more slippery shape like the Taycan.
mik

Post by mik »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:23 am I can believe the range: my first thoughts when he was walking around it in the garage was its Cd would be dreadful and this bears that out, vs a more slippery shape like the Taycan.
Internet says drag coefficient is 0.26, which isn’t awful. Taycan is much slipperier though at 0.22.

More of a challenge is that the equation for drag includes CdA, where A=frontal area. This is the killer for big SUVs.

So whilst Harry's moan is appropriate, it's probably more a moan about electric SUV's than a moan about the Eletre. (Although displaying an exaggerated range estimate is just plain stupid).
mik

Post by mik »

Using that CarSized website : no E-Tron so I selected a Q8 vs Taycan. Can't copy the side-by-side, only the individual images - but they should at least be at the same zoom level. Far greater area, and also easy to see that wide tyres have a larger impact on the frontal area of SUV's compared to more normal height vehicles.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Taycan is hardly a paragon of efficiency anyway. Compare the Eletre to the Merc EQC (which has been panned for poor range by pretty much everyone, and that's down to poor efficiency not a small battery) and it's in the same ballpark. Only saved a bit on the Eletre by the massive battery - which is too big to fill overnight on a 7kW domestic charger (over 15 hours empty to full), particularly if you limited yourself to the 6 hours of cheap rate electricity.

I would like to see more reviews; there could have been something wrong with Harry's Eletre. Though I fear there wasn't.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

It's no worse or better than anything else in the category IMO, they're all ugly. The Taycan is a different kind of car.

Given it's apparently good value and has a spacious and seemingly good quality interior, I see no reason why it won't sell. All I want from this car is for people (other than me) to buy it, so that Lotus doesn't sink. :D
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:50 am It's no worse or better than anything else in the category IMO, they're all ugly. The Taycan is a different kind of car.

Given it's apparently good value and has a spacious and seemingly good quality interior, I see no reason why it won't sell. All I want from this car is for people (other than me) to buy it, so that Lotus doesn't sink. :D
i can't see it selling much. If you want a premium reliable family SUV, then lotus is the last name you'd choose. It's not good looking enough to compete with Porsche, it's not cheap enough to compete with the bottom of the market Kia/toyota/etc.., doesn't have the dealer network or support of Merc/BMW/Audi doesn't have the range or charging network of Tesla.

I just don't get who'd buy it?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

EV Macan is going to absolutely kill this, cheaper, probably same or better range in reality, looks better, will handle better and be lighter.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:07 am I just don't get who'd buy it?
That was my initial view, but if you are in the market for a Tesla Model S/X, Taycan, BMW iX or any of the large EVs it has a cool badge, is well engineered (and looks pretty good to my eyes but I appreciate that is subjective) while being cheaper. If the efficiency wasn't so bad it would be a genuine class leader.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Does Tesla have much of a dealer network? I don't know how it all works TBH, but it seems like big dealer networks are less important with these EVs. :?

Of course it's going to take a bit of an alternative to the mainstream approach, but I think there's plenty of people out there that prefer to have something different from their neighbours. I also think there's a fair bit of good will to the established British badges, certainly if my neighbourhood is anything to go by where people are still buying new Jags! :shock:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The first Lotus where the interior is lovely, even the screen didn’t annoy.

The back end is all out of scale with weird arches.

It’s an embarrassment to efficiency, cost wise it’s worse than a petrol V8 towing 3 tons, surely that’s a huge fail ?

If they had made a Honda Insight style electric car, good handling and amazing efficiency to show off their engineering prowess it would be something to be proud of. This just seems like the result of a group of people getting a hardon over a vision board.

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

There was a Tesla shop unit (containing actual cars) in Cribbs Causeway shopping mall. My wife went there a week or so ago and said that it was now Polestar but she'd not heard of that.

Genesis didn't have any physical dealers but apparently are already pulling out of the UK market. How many dealers do Lotus have now? I looked up the ones I knew round London and they seemed to have gone, though they've opened a new Piccadilly showroom with the Eletre launch.
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:23 am EV Macan is going to absolutely kill this, cheaper, probably same or better range in reality, looks better, will handle better and be lighter.
I think the Macan is smaller than this, so yes probably better or same range, and probably lighter. Not sure how you know it will handle better?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Lotus Mayfair dealer won’t have space there for servicing (just like every other dealer in Mayfair/Park Lane). They tend to have service centres out of town but that’s only for really big jobs. Most things they come home to you.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:03 am
Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:23 am EV Macan is going to absolutely kill this, cheaper, probably same or better range in reality, looks better, will handle better and be lighter.
I think the Macan is smaller than this, so yes probably better or same range, and probably lighter. Not sure how you know it will handle better?
It’s claimed to be 2.2 tonnes and it’s a Porsche. Big old advantage over a mere badge engineering exercise which only has specially tuned suspension.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:03 am The Lotus Mayfair dealer won’t have space there for servicing (just like every other dealer in Mayfair/Park Lane). They tend to have service centres out of town but that’s only for really big jobs. Most things they come home to you.
I'm not sure the shop unit in a mall sales outlets have servicing either. Takes me back to Daewoo's UK launch when the official service network was Halfords.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was going to say I have no idea who will buy this, but like @duncs500 says, I can't believe how many Jaguar SUVs I see on the road, so you never know.

I'm still struggling with the whole direction of the market for these EV SUVs in terms of their styling, weight, range, cost etc.

Nice interior on the Lotus, but the exterior seems to be all over the place. I'm also not sure saying it look nice/similar to a Urus is much of a compliment.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 am
Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:03 am The Lotus Mayfair dealer won’t have space there for servicing (just like every other dealer in Mayfair/Park Lane). They tend to have service centres out of town but that’s only for really big jobs. Most things they come home to you.
I'm not sure the shop unit in a mall sales outlets have servicing either. Takes me back to Daewoo's UK launch when the official service network was Halfords.
They don’t, they’re just for handover.
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am
mik wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:03 am
It’s claimed to be 2.2 tonnes and it’s a Porsche. Big old advantage over a mere badge engineering exercise which only has specially tuned suspension.
Ooh - it has an totally awesumes sound generator too....

Last edited by mik on Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.