Letting family members drive your cars third party

Would you let someone drive your car third party?

I'm only third party anyway, so, meh
No votes
No way, I pay for fully comp for a reason, accidents can happen, they're going on my policy if they're getting behind the wheel
23%
Insurance, what's that then? (hides)
No votes
I'm fully comp but happy for someone else to drive my car third party only and if they bend it I'll pay
5%
Only of they agree to pay for any damage should the worst happen
27%
Ok if it'a an emergency but generally, forget it
36%
No-one gonna touch me mota
9%

Total votes: 22

scotta

Re: Letting family members drive your cars third party

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:31 am
scotta wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:00 am
I’m still waiting on the offer to drive his Evora. I’ve even offered to take him in a trackday in it.
You can take it out - on your own - from now until 12:30. Not a problem. :ugeek:
Im calling this as still valid due to the non specificity of date or timezone.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:20 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:00 pm I think it comes down to people who I have faith in their ability and awareness.
Agreed. And aside from the insurance angle, I've noticed a pattern:

* People I trust and I have offered my cars to always politely decline (Gavster & my Dad excepted).

* People that directly ask to drive my cars are people I have *not* offered them to. See above.
I regret not taking up @dan's offer to have a go in his car but my anxiety went through the roof at the thought of cocking it up.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
dan

Post by dan »

I’m usually quite relaxed about letting people drive my cars although this time round I’ll probably require a 50% deposit before letting anyone drive the Elise 🤣
Beany

Post by Beany »

dan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:44 pm I’m usually quite relaxed about letting people drive my cars although this time round I’ll probably require a 50% deposit before letting anyone drive the Elise 🤣
That rules out about 3/4 of the forum then given the work you've put into it, 7/8ths if we're including your per-hour rate :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

dan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:44 pm I’m usually quite relaxed about letting people drive my cars although this time round I’ll probably require a 50% deposit before letting anyone drive the Elise 🤣
Do you accept payment in kidneys?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

My partner is insured to drive the M135 but knows it’s absolutely as a last resort. She’s never driven it and hopefully never will and goes for any of my cars. I let her use my 430 Gran coupe nice and had a phone call at work as she couldn’t work out how to put it in drive…
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'm still surprised that I let ExWife2 drive the Saab. She once came back into the house and told me that the car was up the road with the key in the ignition and the window open as she couldn't get the key out (she didn't put it into reverse) and the door wouldn't open (the handle needed two pulls or the key taken out of the ignition).

And that's before the driving stuff...
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Mine's pretty good tbf. She has her MINI and she'll happily drive the Cayenne & the Bentley. She's going to try the Smart once I've sorted the brakes out. She's terrified of the Aston & the Ferrari though :lol:

She's not driven the Galaxie. I'd be a bit nervous of letting her out in it, the brakes, steering & general handling is quite a long way from a modern car and you could do quite a bit of damage. Not to mention trying to park it.

She drove the 911 once, when I first got it, didn't like it, hasn't driven it again. She's not tried the Compact - it would have been fine when it was stock but with it set up for Targas it's a bit awful on the road and the seats don't adjust so she can't reach the pedals anyway.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I've thrown my key at my brother when he needed a car quickly or I needed a favour from him (drop our friends at the train station after a big get together at ours). I trust him implicitly with it, but he'd fix it if he broke it.

I offered to let my wife use my car when hers was waiting for a new mechatronic a few weeks ago, but she flatly refused. She's much more comfortable seeing and driving a little higher (in the Yeti) than compared to mine. Also she lacks a little confidence in mine as she scraped the Yeti in the Tesco car park a few months back.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The mrs is a named driver on all my cars, she’s driven all the ones that have been roadworthy since we’ve been together except the current compact and the ‘sud.

I lent my mum my old blue compact when she was between cars but no one else has really been interested in driving anything else. I’m always a named driver on my mums cars, but have taken temporary insurance to drive my dads when needed ( not often)
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

@Sundayjumper I’ve just insured Jimmy on my existing Jimny policy at a cost of £0.00 including admin fee of £0.00. I will be livid if he removes the locking wheelnuts though.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:20 pm insured Jimmy on my existing Jimny policy
Just as well he's not an 8ft tall elf, providing stand-in duties for Mr Claus, or you'd potentially have to jemmy Jimmy into the Jimny to get down a chimney.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m going to do that as well, by jiminy.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:44 pm
Just as well he's not an 8ft tall elf, providing stand-in duties for Mr Claus, or you'd potentially have to jemmy Jimmy into the Jimny to get down a chimney.
This is most concerning as I've got a fire going and the thought of burning is disconcerting. :shock:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:20 pm @Sundayjumper I’ve just insured Jimmy on my existing Jimny policy at a cost of £0.00 including admin fee of £0.00. I will be livid if he removes the locking wheelnuts though.
I have no intention of touching your nuts! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy pointed out that the Jimny has no locking wheelnuts. OMGNoes! :o
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jammy.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:23 am
This is most concerning as I've got a fire going and the thought of burning is disconcerting. :shock:
It's ok, you won't be hurting.