Your fleet running reports

Alex88

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Alex88 »

scotta wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:28 am
Interesting point on the telematics. Any idea why? Ill be shopping in that market very soon as the boy is 17 next year.
Insurers have been losing money in the young, newly passed driver area for a little while now. Surprising, as the point of a telematics policy was to monitor driving behaviour, encourage them to improve where they weren't doing so well, and subsequently reduce the likelihood of an accident.

There are still insurers out there, but the pool has reduced.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Alex88 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:18 pm Insurance market has gone absolutely nuts. I've never seen premiums like this. Some of the rates people are having to pay is just insane.

I really hope these higher amounts don't become the new norm..

Edit. Even worse if you're a new driver - loads of insurers pulling out of the telematics market, which has been a surprise. Also, electric cars becoming more out of favour.

High claim cost and increasingly complex cars not helping. Thefts up, but manufacturers consistently (and lazily?) releasing cars with vulnerable keyless technology has contributed. Only now are they starting to address. Significant number of thefts never recovered.

Shop around as much as possible!
Interesting point on the telematics. Any idea why? Ill be shopping in that market very soon as the boy is 17 next year.
I'm not an insurance expert like Alex but my personal experience and those of my kids peers has been horrendous with telematics policies.

I found the data to be inaccurate plus advisory speed limits were applied as mandatory. You could successfully challenge a large amount of the negative driving being applied to the daily score but it was exhausting and a constant source of stress for both me and my daughter. A local threshold of 70 going down to 50 would flag as dangerous driving unless you were doing 50 way before sign and another local dual is a 50 one side and a 70 the other but they would apply a 50 limit regardless! They gave notice of cancelling the policy on a couple of occasions which were all overturned and I ultimately got the local highways involved.

A colleague declared that her son worked in McDonald's in the evenings and was assured that the time of driving wasn't restricted with his policy but within 2 weeks they were threatening to cancel the policy unless he used the car less after midnight. My colleague ended up cancelling the policy as she didn't have the energy to complain the risk was disclosed at outset and accepted!

I bet a considerable percentage of these policies have been cancelled mid policy.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Carlos wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:52 am
Alex88 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:18 pm Insurance market has gone absolutely nuts. I've never seen premiums like this. Some of the rates people are having to pay is just insane.

I really hope these higher amounts don't become the new norm..

Edit. Even worse if you're a new driver - loads of insurers pulling out of the telematics market, which has been a surprise. Also, electric cars becoming more out of favour.

High claim cost and increasingly complex cars not helping. Thefts up, but manufacturers consistently (and lazily?) releasing cars with vulnerable keyless technology has contributed. Only now are they starting to address. Significant number of thefts never recovered.

Shop around as much as possible!
I'm not an insurance expert like Alex but my personal experience and those of my kids peers has been horrendous with telematics policies.

I found the data to be inaccurate plus advisory speed limits were applied as mandatory. You could successfully challenge a large amount of the negative driving being applied to the daily score but it was exhausting and a constant source of stress for both me and my daughter. A local threshold of 70 going down to 50 would flag as dangerous driving unless you were doing 50 way before sign and another local dual is a 50 one side and a 70 the other but they would apply a 50 limit regardless! They gave notice of cancelling the policy on a couple of occasions which were all overturned and I ultimately got the local highways involved.

A colleague declared that her son worked in McDonald's in the evenings and was assured that the time of driving wasn't restricted with his policy but within 2 weeks they were threatening to cancel the policy unless he used the car less after midnight. My colleague ended up cancelling the policy as she didn't have the energy to complain the risk was disclosed at outset and accepted!

I bet a considerable percentage of these policies have been cancelled mid policy.
This is going to be an issue for him also - he works at mcdonalds.

My niece is the same. Shes just paid £2500 to insure £1200 worth of VW Fox. Shes a manager at McDonalds also and can finish work at 2-3am.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My son is 17 on the 27th so in the same boat :(

ETA - I'm going with LV in my name with son as a named driver. LV don't load the premium mid year when he passes his test and they allow you to allocate the no claims to him at outset. Its still £2,000 but that's for a new Seat Ibiza FR.
Last edited by Carlos on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

Don't even get us started on boat insurance. :cry:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Carlos wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:37 am I'm going with LV in my name with son as a named driver. LV don't load the premium mid year when he passes his test and they allow you to allocate the no claims to him at outset. Its still £2,000 but that's for a new Seat Ibiza FR.
That's interesting - I still have my stepdaughter insured on a learner policy but that automatically expires when she passes her test (so how do you drive back from the test centre?) If your child can earn NCB on a policy in your name, that's got to be better than having a policy which ends on passing. Tabby is nearly up to 2 years' NCB as a learner though :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:43 pm That one however is firmly on @GG. ;)
Ha! Can't be me guv - mine went into the 2021 statistics.

Its seriously a ridiculous state of affairs. The only thing more broken than the NHS in the UK is the police force.

I was watching a video about the decline of South Africa yesterday and some of it was worryingly familiar.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

The black box thing is just bullshit, no idea why it was ever considered a metric of good driving. Any evidence that it's actually reduced accidents?
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

I think the issue with Telematics policies is that the quality is dependent on the insurer, the type of device being used (hard-wired box, app, OBD plug in), the accuracy of the data, and importantly, how good they are at reading the data, and separating the genuine bad driving from those who’ve been a bit unlucky or have mitigating circumstances– as Carlos points out.

Having the driving data is great, but it’s all very black and white, and real-world use isn’t. There are tons of circumstances that could flag up as dangerous events, where in fact the opposite is true. For example, one may get a warning for harsh acceleration, but what if they had to accelerate from a slip road onto a motorway and were trying to match the speed of traffic? That's actually being safe - they can’t pootle on gradually as there isn’t time. That kind of thing.

If you have staff who can look into the data and work out what’s legitimate and what isn’t, it can definitely work. Especially if they work with the customer to encourage good driving rather than just issue warnings, which can actually be counterproductive.
mik

Post by mik »

Its as wet as an otter's pocket here tonight. Loads of standing water.

Parked the evora in the garage, and realised a couple of minutes later that the alarm was going off. But the hazards weren’t flashing - which they do it the alarm is triggered…. :?

Unlocked the car - alarm still sounded. :?
Locked the car - alarm still sounded. :?
Opened and closed the boot - alarm still sounded :?
Started it up - alarm still sounded :(

So it was clearly the siren being activated, but not the immobiliser. Drove around a bit (with the alarm still sounding) pulling some lateral and linear G's. Got home and it stopped..... :|

The garage dehumidier will stay on all night to hopefully dry everything out.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

HI ARE YOU INTERSTED IN A P/X THANKS JOHN
I’m not, but I’ve asked what he’s offering anyway. This should be amusing :D

And this is where his postcode resolves to. That’s a lot of caravans…

IMG_3232.jpeg
IMG_3232.jpeg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 11321 times
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

On the subject of telematics, the GR Yaris had something similar built into the app. It was very inaccurate and reported hard acceleration and hard braking events whilst driving sedately.
John

Post by John »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:32 am
HI ARE YOU INTERSTED IN A P/X THANKS JOHN
I’m not, but I’ve asked what he’s offering anyway. This should be amusing :D

And this is where his postcode resolves to. That’s a lot of caravans…

IMG_3232.jpeg
I'M OFFERING A CARAVAN THANKS JOHN
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Do you like dags
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:55 pm Its as wet as an otter's pocket here tonight. Loads of standing water.

Parked the evora in the garage, and realised a couple of minutes later that the alarm was going off. But the hazards weren’t flashing - which they do it the alarm is triggered…. :?

Unlocked the car - alarm still sounded. :?
Locked the car - alarm still sounded. :?
Opened and closed the boot - alarm still sounded :?
Started it up - alarm still sounded :(

So it was clearly the siren being activated, but not the immobiliser. Drove around a bit (with the alarm still sounding) pulling some lateral and linear G's. Got home and it stopped..... :|

The garage dehumidier will stay on all night to hopefully dry everything out.
I’ve had that a few times in GTA. Stops after a bit. However if the police see you with the alarm going off then you get a wanted level.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Audi serviced today. They found one tyre was at 2.9mm tread so suggested replacing just that one. Odd when I thought they always upsold you to a pair or full set to avoid transmission issues these days. The rest are on 3mm or so, so I don't know why they picked up just that one.

Couldn't see any errors on the diagnostics - I had told them one of the touch sensitive reading lights kept coming on by itself and wouldn't turn off. I'd not expected that to appear on the diagnostics, FFS. I suspect it's got some grease or similar on it which is why it thinks its being touched so I will give it a good clean and see if that fixes it.

Should be able to put a full set of winters/all-seasons on the current wheels around the end of winter, anyway, based on wear rates :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Alex88 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:18 pm
I wonder how the car park fires in Luton and now Bristol will impact premiums, especially on electric cars.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Have any of these recent fires been caused by EVs?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:50 pm Have any of these recent fires been caused by EVs?
I thought the Luton one had been but I'm in orthopedic shoes on that.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

:lol: none!

That is depressingly ignorant from a CG Jimmy.