Good socket set

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Good socket set

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve had a set of those for a few years. Got them before I even got an impact wrench because the plastic is so much kinder to your alloys.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Since this thread appears to be where we talked about impact wrenches, I rather spontaneously bought a more powerful one. Much as I like my 12V Makita, and despite its spec saying it should have, it doesn't have enough torque to break free the wheelnuts. It's been useful for the bulk of the undoing and doing up wheelnuts and there's been no risk of over-torquing.

However, last weekend I watched Proper DIY's video comparing the De Walt 18V cordless drill with the 18V Makita and he mentioned that the De Walt was on offer at Screwfix for £150 including two 5.0Ah batteries. That's a bit of a bargain. So I bought it - without strictly needing it, but I thought that about my smaller Makita kit and have used it loads. Then I thought about getting an 18V De Walt impact wrench, body only. There are two types, so obviously I went for the bigger 960Nm one. Perhaps a bit OTT but it'll be good for undoing stuck bolts I imagine. It's a beast, quite a heavy thing even without the battery attached, so I may have gone a bit silly and fear I'll find it unwieldy and end up not using it. But we'll see; I'm changing the Macan wheels over this weekend.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:30 am Since this thread appears to be where we talked about impact wrenches, I rather spontaneously bought a more powerful one. Much as I like my 12V Makita, and despite its spec saying it should have, it doesn't have enough torque to break free the wheelnuts. It's been useful for the bulk of the undoing and doing up wheelnuts and there's been no risk of over-torquing.

However, last weekend I watched Proper DIY's video comparing the De Walt 18V cordless drill with the 18V Makita and he mentioned that the De Walt was on offer at Screwfix for £150 including two 5.0Ah batteries. That's a bit of a bargain. So I bought it - without strictly needing it, but I thought that about my smaller Makita kit and have used it loads. Then I thought about getting an 18V De Walt impact wrench, body only. There are two types, so obviously I went for the bigger 960Nm one. Perhaps a bit OTT but it'll be good for undoing stuck bolts I imagine. It's a beast, quite a heavy thing even without the battery attached, so I may have gone a bit silly and fear I'll find it unwieldy and end up not using it. But we'll see; I'm changing the Macan wheels over this weekend.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo spotted at the weekend
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I've never seen a Nascar wheel change before. Must get some of those yellow and pink tags for the nuts :lol:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My daughter asked for a ratchet screwdriver for Xmas. She then had the hump as I my son had a Wera Advent Calender but she didn't so I've added a bit of pizzazz to the screwdriver and I want to have a play :lol:

Everything she's had from them seems top end.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Been eyeing up a nice little Wera kit myself, lovely stuff.