Re: The Cats are good too thread

Post by Mito Man »

:( GWS Hazelnut
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:29 pm It's not really, cats can live a very happy life indoors. As long as their owners aren't idiots they tend to be healthier and live longer than outdoors cats.

Between the risks to the cats themselves and the impact domesticated cats have on local wildlife it's a no brainer for me.
It's a very American thing to treat cats as indoor-only. And they de-claw them, which is one of the nastiest things you can do a cat. So I'll stick to allowing some of ours outside. Most don't go out and don't want to, and I think we have a sufficiently large sample size to say that some definitely do need to.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I'm not advocating for declawing and I'm well aware how this discussion goes here :lol:

I'm not telling anyone else how to look after their cats,.
An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Good luck and gws Hazlenut.

Declawing?! If you don't want something with claws, don't get something with claws :roll: :x
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:59 pm Good luck and gws Hazlenut.

Declawing?! If you don't want something with claws, don't get something with claws :roll: :x
I don’t know, there have been times I’d happily remove the feet entirely from the razor blade owning clumsy fuckers 😂

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:13 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:59 pm Good luck and gws Hazlenut.

I don’t know, there have been times I’d happily remove the feet entirely from the razor blade owning clumsy fuckers 😂

Dave!
Oh yes, obviously when they've done that, I mean, it goes without saying there have been times you’d happily remove the feet entirely from the razor blade owning clumsy fuckers, doesn't it? but apart from then, if you don't want something with claws, don't get something with claws :roll: :x
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:51 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:29 pm It's not really, cats can live a very happy life indoors. As long as their owners aren't idiots they tend to be healthier and live longer than outdoors cats.

Between the risks to the cats themselves and the impact domesticated cats have on local wildlife it's a no brainer for me.
It's a very American thing to treat cats as indoor-only.

And Aus. As lethal as the wildlife is here, it's no match for a moggie.

Here there are curfews, trapping etc.

Hope yours comes good Jobbo.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Hazelnut is still with the vets. She has not pooed since Saturday so there is some concern now that she isn’t able to, but her rear end is very swollen and she’s on some hardcore drugs so it may just be taking her a while to get function back. Still touch and go for her. The vets apparently love her; she is a real character.

Whatever happens, she won’t be running around me in the garden in future. She used to love ‘helping’ me with the gardening and anything else I do outside. When (I’m optimistic) she comes home she will be indoor only.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Hope she gets well soon Jobbo 🙏
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Hope it all goes well. Gws hazelnut
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

:lol:

Slightly off topic, but no woman ever looks good with lip filler pumped in them. Ever
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not sure where else to ask, but is it possible to train up an older cat not to hate car journeys?

Every cat we or my parents have had has wailed non stop any time they’re put in a car making pretty much anything more than a few miles fairly horrible.

Just wondering if after a while they just give up and settle down, whether it’s worth taking them out now and then but not going to a vets so they don’t associate every trip as going somewhere nasty?

We’d like to be able to spend weekends at the barn which is around 50mins away and would be nice to bring the cat occasionally instead of setting up an auto feeder/ relying on neighbours every time.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I didn’t update this thread. We collected Hazlenut’s ashes today 😢
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sorry to hear that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

RIP Hazlenut. :(
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sorry to hear that Jobbo.

Re cat transport, I read - and this is thirty years ago - that the way to do it is to make the transporter cage thing very available for them to use (IE put it by places they normally rest with a throw or cushion they like), and let them sleep in it/chill in it. IE leave it open.

Then when they're used to it, move them around in it a little. One place they like to another, so from beside the couch to under the table. Just to get them used to the idea of being in it and moving in it. The book never went further than that, mind.

I'd imagine as you fettle the cars a lot, you could extend that to take them out to the cars when you work on them etc, and probably move that to something a bit weird sounding like taking them to the local shop when you go to post a letter or something.

The idea is that when they're just being shoved in the carrier, it's stressful and weird and they don't like it. If you get them used to the carrier just Being A Thing then when you do need to take them somewhere, the baseline stress level is much lower so they're less likely to freak out.

(aside, never have had to take a cat in a carrier anywhere, so the above knowledge has been useless to me)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Transporting cats is something I’ve done a lot of. Some don’t mind, some do but they all stop making a fuss after a while. We have Catit Cabrio carriers and they are excellent - easy to get them in and see how they are.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

R.i.p. Hazlenut :(