Does Anyone Live in Manchester ?

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Does Anyone Live in Manchester ?

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:58 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:01 am ...if you walk down Grafton Street (almost opposite) you'll find yourself on Oxford Road...
The main plan is to walk down Grafton Street, turn right, go into the Academy, get drunk, then do our best to walk back to the hotel :D

Depending how I feel Saturday morning I might venture into town for a coffee before heading home but I'm not making any promises.
:lol: That's a solid plan tbf. If you venture into town at all, I can recommend Pot Kettle Black in the Barton Arcade off Deansgate for a great coffee and hangover brunch options.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I'm at the Warehouse project in Manchester on Saturday for a Hacienda night. Anyone been there?
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:43 pm I'm at the Warehouse project in Manchester on Saturday for a Hacienda night. Anyone been there?
I was last there a couple of years ago to see Pete Tong, Camelphat and Hot Since 82. Also went to the old one round the corner before it moved to Mayfield. It's a very big space inside compared to the last one so doesn't feel really tightly packed in but not sure if the acoustics sounded as good as before. Takes a big of time to go through all of the bag checking before you go in.

It's obviously expensive for drinks compared to a normal bar, something like £10 for a double and mixer but might be even more than that now. We went to Freight Island next to it first for a few drinks and that was decent but you need to book.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

KevH18 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:47 am
McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:43 pm I'm at the Warehouse project in Manchester on Saturday for a Hacienda night. Anyone been there?
I was last there a couple of years ago to see Pete Tong, Camelphat and Hot Since 82. Also went to the old one round the corner before it moved to Mayfield. It's a very big space inside compared to the last one so doesn't feel really tightly packed in but not sure if the acoustics sounded as good as before. Takes a big of time to go through all of the bag checking before you go in.

It's obviously expensive for drinks compared to a normal bar, something like £10 for a double and mixer but might be even more than that now. We went to Freight Island next to it first for a few drinks and that was decent but you need to book.
Thank you 👍
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Manchester review.

Travelodge on Upper Brook Street was good. Very clean and tidy, good parking on site, plenty of spaces even though Friday is presumably a busy time. Minor niggle was that the room, the bar, and the parking are all apparently "different systems" so you can't put it all on a tab. Not a deal breaker. Breakfast buffet was good too.

Big Hands bar on Oxford Road was brill. Grubby little student / alternative dive bar. We would have happily stayed there all evening. Initially full of 40/50-something rock fans very obviously heading to the Academy. We popped in for a nightcap afterwards about 11pm-ish and it was quickly filling up with normal students. Slightly surprising.

Academy nicely laid out and worked really well. The sound quality really impressed me. Not all venues are equal in that respect.

And finally, the All Loud, All Wild, All Fucking Mighty (aka "The Almighty") were absolutely bloody great 8-) 8-) 8-) They're playing three reunion gigs (Glasgow, Manchester, London) with the original lineup, first time in ~30 years but you wouldn't know it. Perfect playing. A solid set list from the first four albums. No unnecessary solos, not even much chatting to the crowd, they belted it out for nearly two hours. I've not been to a gig for years. I'm really glad I made the effort.

IMG_3149.jpeg
IMG_3149.jpeg (105.97 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:16 pm I've not been to a gig for years. I'm really glad I made the effort.
That's a good reminder that a great gig really can't be beaten, there's very little in life that's as good as one of your favourite bands smashing it a couple of hours.