Wow. 20 years? :shock:

nuttinnew

Re: Concorde

Post by nuttinnew »

:o :(
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

There was an interesting program on Channel 4 after the go qualifying on Saturday evening.

More about the story of its conception and competitors than packed full of technical details, but still interesting.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Saw a bit of that.

Quite interested to watch as they get deeper into the Tu-144, which was (imho) a clear result of espionage, but the Russian designers didn’t fully understand the aerodynamic rationale for the decisions (eg wing design on Concorde) or lagging tech (TU144 engines couldn’t complete with Olympus)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hopefully this becomes a reality so we can at least have something similar to Concorde again
https://boomsupersonic.com
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:14 pm Hopefully this becomes a reality so we can at least have something similar to Concorde again
https://boomsupersonic.com
I’m not sure there is a strong enough need now. Concorde was an epic product of its time….
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:04 pm
My office is on the old BAe site in Filton and I drive past the runway when I go in. If you're near Bristol, the Bristol Aerospace museum is definately worth a visit and the Concorde exhibit is great.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I've driven past, never been in, but have been to a prototype when little (can't remember where it was). Even then they seemed small inside.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

nuttinnew wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:53 pm I've driven past, never been in, but have been to a prototype when little (can't remember where it was). Even then they seemed small inside.
Duxford IWM has a prototype you can walk through. Fatastic thing to walk around and through, parked next to a TSR prototype and a Sunderland IIRC. Duxford is just ace all round. 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

You can go inside the one at East Fortune. Have done.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-o ... A8QAvD_BwE
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

The one at duxford is cool, it’s the development aircraft filled with the highest tech equipment of the era when they were testing it out
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Yes, best ones to see are Brooklands (they may even have a simulator there), New York (when it’s back on Intrepid), or Barbados (can get rum which makes everything better). Many years ago, I did an evaluation/tour that involved a Flight Engineer who explained that he could fit his fist between his console and the bulkhead 2 hours after take off, but couldn’t fit even his finger before take off. May have been some innuendos involved..
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

I saw the one at East Fortune whilst doing an airfield-based track limits type training day. We had lunch in the museum and then took a sneaky peek at Concorde. I was explaining to the other trainees and the trainers how the engine intakes were adjustable in order to throttle the airflow at high speed from supersonic to subsonic - necessary to allow the engines to do their stuff, when I realised what a geek I am…..
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’ve got one in duxford you can walk through and another on the roof of the Sinsheim technical museum ( along with a TU144) which you can walk through although it’s all lined with perspex so feels a bit claustrophobic
Cheers, Harry