The House Projects Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The House Projects Thread

Post by Ascender »

Thanks @integrale_evo, that's what I assumed you'd done. Air source heat pump with underfloor heating is what we're looking to do and just need to look at glazing options. Should be more than toasty enough!

Planning application for ours is now in... and so the requests for payment start to appear. £600 to the council. And then another £150 for them to place another advert in the local press. I think I'd happily pay double if it guaranteed they'd actually look at the request within 6 months this time...
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

After a few more random delays and diversions, we issued a possession claim last week. This is really serious. It's hard to believe they're still fighting it. They are still ranting about there not having been any breaches of the lease and that they will appeal to the high court.

As ever, we've advised that they really, really, really must seek competent legal advice.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:25 am It's hard to believe they're still fighting it.
I really don't think they were about to give in - they're far too entrenched.

When you get the possession order I imagine it'll be great fun actually getting possession. Set up a surreptitious Gopro when the bailiffs arrive.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:49 am Set up a surreptitious Gopro when the bailiffs arrive.
Oh yeah please do... :)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I have images in my mind of this, though: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... s-20859081 - planning enforcement rather than bailiffs, but an analogous situation.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I am definitely making sure that we have GoPros going into their place. Might ask the bailiffs to wear a bodycam.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

And a bullet-proof vest.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

I doubt they'd be violent tbh, angry for sure, and they'll blame me for everything - because they believe nothing in their life is their fault, even when we were friends they would tell stories about how so-and-so has wronged them, or how XYZ shouldn't have done something to them. What's most likely is they will refuse to acknowledge the authority of the bailiffs, or the writ and we'll end up with the police attending too.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

You should sell tickets to that :lol:

My mate has a food truck - we could make a killing :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Can you get sheriff John Bunnell to narrate the video?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:43 am I am definitely making sure that we have GoPros going into their place. Might ask the bailiffs to wear a bodycam.
I’d imagine they already will be, but you probably won’t get to see the footage. You could ask them to wear a go pro for you but I think the answer will be a flat no
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:25 am
As ever, we've advised that they really, really, really must seek competent legal advice.
What happens if they don't - could that be used as some sort of get out clause?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

unzippy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:26 am
Solicitors will always make sure they keep advising an unrepresented party to get their own legal advice - there's no silver bullet get-out for someone to say they didn't understand what was going on, but it makes it a hell of lot easier to show that you've been reasonable with them when you try to take their house away.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

unzippy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:26 am
As Jobbo said, every single letter for the last four years has been signed off with my solicitor urging them to seek competent legal advice in this matter.

In fact, one of the most recent letters clearly states what issues they need to seek advice on, and sets out with absolute clarity what their immediate and significant risks are by not remedying the breaches. It advises them what timeframe they have to resolve those things, and the nature of the court orders that we are seeking to enforce. That letter tells them three times that they should seek advice or they risk losing their home.

One of the main parts of the legal process seems to be ensuring that the other party have zero opportunity to say "Oh, but we didn't realise that". To some extent our letters have been telling the neighbours what their own solicitor should be telling them.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Madness.. feel sorry for them, and imagine they’ll end up in a care home
Cheers,

Ian
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:45 am One of the main parts of the legal process seems to be ensuring that the other party have zero opportunity to say "Oh, but we didn't realise that".
When it comes to something as draconian as making someone homeless, no matter the legal rights and wrongs a judge in a court will always want to be 100% certain that the order he makes is right.

In some cases (such as the chap who went to Turkey on holiday, got the shits and sued Tui all the way to the Supreme Court - judgment given yesterday in his favour) one party doesn't put any evidence forward so effectively the other's evidence must be taken as accepted: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2021-0208.html (Idiotic on Tui's or their solicitor's part - the evidence did not really prove the claimant's case but they simply failed to provide any evidence at all which might have disproved it). If your neighbours didn't produce any evidence or anything that helped their case because they didn't bother to take advice, any judge is going to be very uncomfortable ordering them to vacate their home. If a case of the shits can go to the Supreme Court, that's not surprising :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

FWIW the neighbours did have a solicitor for a few months, however their relationship was very peculiar. At first he was actively defending them, then after a while that stopped. The neighbour would write a long, wordy letter, full of nonsense legalese, and then demand the solicitor would forward it to us. Almost all of our communications were "My client has requested this letter be forwarded to you". They ceased working together shortly after that and the neighbour went back to representing himself.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Didn't pay the solicitor, I imagine.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:06 am Didn't pay the solicitor, I imagine.
More likely they tried to tell the solicitor how to do hours job because they knew better, probably followed by not paying them because he was an amateur in their eyes
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

jamcg wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:04 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:06 am Didn't pay the solicitor, I imagine.
More likely they tried to tell the solicitor how to do hours job because they knew better, probably followed by not paying them because he was an amateur in their eyes
That sounds spot on, have you met my neighbours? :lol: