Insurers (of all stripes)

GG.

Insurers (of all stripes)

Post by GG. »

So my annual buildings insurance just came through - £516.51 last year to... wait for it... £1347.26

I mean WTAF. With no claims made ever on buildings insurance and been with the same provider for 6 years - what on earth could justify a 161% increase other than the insurer just deciding they don't want your business any more. Its starting to get spectacularly tiresome.
Last edited by GG. on Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Re: Insurers (of all stripes)

Post by Simon »

161% increase.... :)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes - that too! :?

Just did a price comparison - £300 ish p.a. so I'd been overpaying a bit for the last few years anyway, let alone on that revised quote...

So basically they're just price gouging c*nts - and more to the point the existing insurer quoted £400ish - I thought that sort of practice was now illegal!
Last edited by GG. on Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah mine jumped too (but not to that extent)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I renewed the business insurance recently - Aviva (who we have used for the last few years) bumped the premium up to over £1k but the broker found cover for just over £500. Are insurers changing the risk profile that they want to insure?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Not even clear its that if the same insurer provides a lower quote online...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My buildings and contents last year was £333, the renewal came through yesterday - £780...

Comparison sites are £430.

Companies are cheeky fuckers when it comes to renewals.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:06 pm My buildings and contents last year was £333, the renewal came through yesterday - £780...

Its technically been illegal for some time to do that https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-relea ... e-markets

Clearly it isn't being enforced...
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

really annoys me when you call to say you’ve got it cheaper and they say “should have called us to see if we could have done it cheaper”

Or you could have charged me less in the first place….
mik

Post by mik »

I don’t have any of my stripes insured. :?

Living life of the ledge…..
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Are you in a Flood Re area?

Mine quadrupled because I'm down valley from a reservoir and in the postcode of potential flooding.

Premium has come down now though as an updated model showed the path of it bursting missing my house!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:54 pm really annoys me when you call to say you’ve got it cheaper and they say “should have called us to see if we could have done it cheaper”

Or you could have charged me less in the first place….
yeah, I've never actually seen them follow up with a cheaper quote, but like you say, they should have offered a cheaper renewal if they wanted the business.
John

Post by John »

Our home renewal doubled in price so I went online and got a quote from them as a new customer which was less than we paid last year. I phoned them up, had a moan, and they renewed for the online price without too much difficulty.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Insurance companies are dicks. Last house insurance was only viewable through a portal to see the whole amount which annoyed me. It only went up a pound or two a month so I saved hassle and stayed put but when you get the coubling and tripling quotations Ieven if they then offer a price match I won't renew because of teh attempt to rip me off and when they inevtiably ask why I left I tell them. I know it will make heehaw difference but still.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Our 320d is due in a couple of weeks and the insurance has emailed a renewal quote that's cheaper than anything we'd been quoted the other day via the usual comparison sites. Go figure 🤔🤔
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:47 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:06 pm My buildings and contents last year was £333, the renewal came through yesterday - £780...

Its technically been illegal for some time to do that https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-relea ... e-markets

Clearly it isn't being enforced...
If only someone knew a lawyer...
GG.

Post by GG. »

So I called them and apparently the reason for this is that the existing policy is with an underwriter that effectively is closed to new business and new policies are being placed with someone else. So instead of doing the logical thing of taking the effort to suggest I change to a new policy they just bung out the new ridiculous renewal price :?

Anyway, given I now need to arrange a new policy I may as well go with someone else...

ETA just seen in the fine print that RAC disclose the underwriter... "Highway Insurance Company Limited". Presumably that's a typo and "Robbery" has been omitted :lol:
John

Post by John »

My wife received a letter today from her car insurer (Aviva) enclosing a cheque for just over £30. Apparently they had mistakenly over charged her when she renewed her insurance in August. So they aren't all crooks and thieves :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

John wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:59 pm My wife received a letter today from her car insurer (Aviva) enclosing a cheque for just over £30. Apparently they had mistakenly over charged her when she renewed her insurance in August. So they aren't all crooks and thieves :lol:
Probably overcharged her £60 - £30 was less the processing fee :lol:
John

Post by John »

GG. wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:18 pm
John wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:59 pm My wife received a letter today from her car insurer (Aviva) enclosing a cheque for just over £30. Apparently they had mistakenly over charged her when she renewed her insurance in August. So they aren't all crooks and thieves :lol:
Probably overcharged her £60 - £30 was less the processing fee :lol:
Bugger :o :lol: