No F1 thread?

jamcg

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by jamcg »

I’ve also already seen the winners interview (let’s face it, probably max)

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

With Vettel gone we really needed someone to speak the truth (aside from Lewis). Fortunately it seems that Max has enough success now that he’s safe to say anything he wants, which in this case is a good thing:

F1 Las Vegas Grand Prix: Red Bull's Max Verstappen says weekend is '99% show, 1% sporting event' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67436111
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:41 pm With Vettel gone we really needed someone to speak the truth (aside from Lewis). Fortunately it seems that Max has enough success now that he’s safe to say anything he wants, which in this case is a good thing:

F1 Las Vegas Grand Prix: Red Bull's Max Verstappen says weekend is '99% show, 1% sporting event' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67436111
100% show now? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67447322
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not good but it’s a pretty regular occurrence on street circuits - surprised it still happens after all these years though.
Not good for the drivers and mechanics with the way the schedule will be!
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

F1 really knows how to piss off the Americans :lol:
Looks like Ocons car is buggered too.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Apparently Carlos’s car is well fucked. Battery, engine, floor, chassis. Basically the full monocoque and pu. Wonder if they will demand to be given extra budget and component allowance as this really shouldn’t have happened
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just reading the BBC live text - Sainz will also get a penalty for this 😂
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's rather unfair, not like he had any stake in what happened. Pretty poor so far.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

jamcg wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:04 am Apparently Carlos’s car is well fucked. Battery, engine, floor, chassis. Basically the full monocoque and pu. Wonder if they will demand to be given extra budget and component allowance as this really shouldn’t have happened
Apparently Ferrari have argued "Force Majeur" so they don't get penalised and got roundly rejected by the stewards - at least thats what Ted said in the pre-amble to FP2 starting finally.

Edit: Stewards spent 3 hours looking for a loophole in rules to prevent the penalty they were then forced to apply when Ferrari were forced to replace the engine by it being damaged by the manhole cover - grid penalty stands apparently
Last edited by teacherboy on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've not really followed F1 for a few years but the debacle of this race has still reached me.

How do you make such a mess of it?
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:43 am I've not really followed F1 for a few years but the debacle of this race has still reached me.

Because murica
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:43 am I've not really followed F1 for a few years but the debacle of this race has still reached me.

Las Vegas powerbrokers clashing with Nevada state needs to keep traffic flowing - no running on track at all until just before FP1 and very limited running as the roads have to revert back to public use between sessions etc. It is mental that they didn't just weld all the manhole covers shut to cover off the possibility of the most advanced racing machines on the planet generating enough suction to yank them off - its happened multiple times before on other street circuits.

As Max has said - "99% show and 1% sport" - maybe in future years that will be more in favour of sport but in Vegas......
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:49 am

Because murica
AS I understand it - the "normal" model is that someone promotes the race, and pays F1 for the privilege. F1 then get to highlight any shortcomings and get upset if they are not sorted by said promoter.

F1 themselves are promoting the Las Vegas race.... so not only are they inexperienced in doing so, any issues such as loose manhole covers are their responsiblity - they can't shout at or threaten to fine the promoter for this issue. This probably explains their gallic shrug response to Sainz's broken car too.....
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Confirmed to be a 10 place grid penalty for Sainz for using too many engines - that is harsh for something not his fault and was easily preventable had F1 been a little more circumspect about a brand new track that they've invested $500 million into!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for reminding me that I don't miss following F1 _at all_ anymore, from someone who used to regularly go the British Grand Prix in the late 90's/early 00's (free tickets back then for me, but still).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I've gone from staying up to watch the late/early races live to not even bothering to check results. I tried to get back into it at the start of this season but it's a pain in the arse even trying to figure out where to watch it.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've watched one race this year and it was the one Max didn't win. I don't think I've ever not watched a season of F1 until this year. This Vegas shambles just about sums up the dire state it's in.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Toto’s response is quite unusual, in fact the whole Mercedes team seem to have some sort of hidden interest in this race succeeding.