jamcg

Re: The Cats are good too thread

Post by jamcg »

Got to love that autocorrect………
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

There is a cat at Brockworth Garden Centre, just outside Gloucester, which my wife keeps visiting. I keep trying to meet George the Stourbridge station cat but so far I’ve only seen his bed in the ticket office, not George himself. I did meet Tobermory Tom in 2019 and he was very friendly.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I hadn't heard of Tobermory Tom; a nice addition to a nice area to visit 8-)
I wish you good fortune in seeing the other two :)
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I used to say hello to Bob fairly often, passed his usual spot at Angel on the way home.

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Bob was amazing. To get him playing himself in the film was brilliant. Such a shame when he died.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Good old Bob. I read the book and watched the film!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Left the front door open by accident while fiddling with the car, probably for about 20 mins. Noticed this when I came back in, annoyed with self, oh well nothing missing, etc.

Had spotted one of the neighbours cats, a proper Void, a wee black thing, nosing about earlier but it's not the most social thing, very skittish - it runs off if you call it etc.

Apparently not skittish enough to not let itself in and have a wee snooze on my bed though, as I discovered when I went upstairs for a wee. I don't mean I was going to wee on the bed, it's just the bathroo...look, you get the idea.

It has now been politely removed from the property. Still skittish as fuck, obviously the door was closed now so when I came down after it, it bolted to the far corner of the kitchen, had to encourage it to find it's own way out, at breakneck speeds.

....I fucking love cats, they're natures miniature top predators that also happen to be absolutely dumb as a fucking rock sometimes :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

One of our cats, Hazelnut, came through the cat flap yesterday evening and was not right. Turns out she’d had her tail pulled away from the base of her spine, probably by being hit by a car. She’s been with the emergency vets all night. If she doesn’t have nerve damage to her bowel and bladder function, she should recover but is obviously having her tail removed today.

Poor thing; one of the reasons we are moving house is that despite being in the sticks we’ve lost a couple of cats already who have been hit. The lack of traffic probably means the cats don’t get as street smart.

Here she is last winter, absolutely running things in the village and showing her road sense, or lack of:

Fingers crossed for her. She won’t be appearing in a similar photo again because the cats will all be indoors only once we move, and there is no way she will be let out here again.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Really sorry to hear that Jobbo. Here’s hoping for a full recovery 🙏
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

She’s having her tail removed this afternoon. They found a fractured hip as well on further investigation; hopefully that will heal with crate rest, failing which she will have to go in next month to have a plate put in to hold it together. I fear because she is a very active cat that she will damage it trying to get out of the crate.

Still not past the major hurdle of finding out if there is permanent nerve damage to her bowel and bladder function. That’s the critical thing.
mik

Post by mik »

GWS Hazelnut :(
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

She’s out of surgery. The vet seemed to want us to collect her right away - we think she needs observation for at least 24 hours. They found a haematoma when excising her tail which they’ve also removed; further evidence of serious trauma from a car hitting her. Fingers crossed that she doesn’t have sufficiently bad nerve damage to her bodily functions - still to be ascertained. At least we will get her home in a day or so.
Simon

Post by Simon »

:( Not much to say but to get well soon Hazelnut.

House choices for us have always been dictated by 'cat friendliness of the roads'. Can't imagine the upset of losing one to a car.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

This is part of why I don't agree with letting cats out tbh.

Hope hazelnut is on the mend Jobbo.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:52 am This is part of why I don't agree with letting cats out tbh.

But cats are only semi-domesticated, so to not let them out is fairly cruel.

Sorry to hear about Hazelnut Jobbo :( - fingers crossed that she hasn't suffered nerve damaged and is back to good health soon.

I'm fairly surprised our furry idiot hasn't come a cropper with cars yet on our road - he'll quite often just sit in the middle, and we're just around a bend that so many people seem to fly around despite parked cars and no forward visibility.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

News this morning is that she has tried to go to the loo and couldn't without the vet's help. Not a good sign but then it's still early days. Fingers crossed for her.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Cats should have a choice, our big Ginger George rarely went past the garden but Lilly the Persian would be out all night running around with other cats. When we had to keep her inside she would sit by the back door trying to get out.

On a scale of Tough to Fanny then Cats are slightly higher than dogs I think. Dogs are a bit more moody when hurt.

Hope you get a quick recovery, when they pull through they always seem to adapt incredibly well.

Lilly, the 1 eyed Persian with no teeth who would still throw down with any cat or dog in the neighbourhood 😂

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:47 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:52 am This is part of why I don't agree with letting cats out tbh.

But cats are only semi-domesticated, so to not let them out is fairly cruel.
It's not really, cats can live a very happy life indoors. As long as their owners aren't idiots they tend to be healthier and live longer than outdoors cats.

Between the risks to the cats themselves and the impact domesticated cats have on local wildlife it's a no brainer for me.
An absolute unit