Steam Deck

RobYob

Re: Steam Deck

Post by RobYob »

After a frustrating few days trying to get Citrix to VM into my work on the Deck within Steam OS or Ubuntu in a box, I bit the bullet and stuck Win10 on and SD card which appears to boot in the deck absolutely fine with everything windowsy working.

So with a hub and wireless keyboard purchased the Deck will now be my portable work email device, media PC and games machine.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:24 pm After a frustrating few days trying to get Citrix to VM into my work on the Deck within Steam OS or Ubuntu in a box, I bit the bullet and stuck Win10 on and SD card which appears to boot in the deck absolutely fine with everything windowsy working.

So with a hub and wireless keyboard purchased the Deck will now be my portable work email device, media PC and games machine.
I'd list the things wrong with the above but I don't have all day :lol: RDPing into work from your portable games console, christ alive :lol:

AnyDesk tends to work much nicer on Linux than most apps, but if Windows on an SD card works, then Windows on an SD card works, I guess.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:19 am
I'd list the things wrong with the above but I don't have all day :lol: RDPing into work from your portable games console, christ alive :lol:
It's a PC :P

I imagine there are indeed far better ways of accomplishing RDP within Linux. But the Windows install solved other problems too without resorting to the hideousness of the command line. :lol:
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

It's actually not bad to use as a linux desktop with a hub/dock and external KVM.

I put in the 256GB SSD I had spare, easy if you have any experience taking things apart. That and a 512GB micro SD should do me for a while. Oh, and the jsaux matt screen protector so I'm not looking at reflections of my face all the time.

Finally playing my way through Bioshock, with brief games of Brotato in between.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I mean, I can't fucking talk, I just dropped over a grand on a machine that I use to play BeamNG and to watch high res Youtube content. I'm sure I'll do more with it one day :lol:

I know the steamdeck is just a Ryzen SOC in a small shell, but I still view it as a console, or perhaps an appliance. Sure, you can run windows on it, but it seems....dirty to do so.

That said, I did once make Doom run on an MP3 player. In the early 2000s, so I should probably shut my whore mouth.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Yep, you've got a strange set of standards there Beany :lol:

I did try my best to get stuff working in SteamOS.
, But in the end the thought of trying to get work's Helldesk on board with supporting Linux and the lack of a nice VPN gui and the refusal of some streaming services to talk to Linux meant the Windows option was just easy.

It also means I can play Fortnite :lol:

Majority of hours are still in Elite though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sorta steam related - CroTeam are having a massive sale (most things>80% off) so if you ever fancied trying Serious Sam or Talos Principle (which is flat out stonking) for cheapy cheap, then you know where to go.

https://store.steampowered.com/develope ... nniversary

Talos Principle for £2.49 is a bargain. Talos 2 is coming out before the end of the year, just bought it in advance as it's unlikely they'll fluff it so badly that I'll regret it.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I need a Steam Sale of annual leave to get through my pile of shame...

Keeping telling myself I purchase Baldurs Gate 3 for my upcoming birthday and really take time to enjoy it. Have great (hazy) memories of 1 & 2 & DLC.

Have been spending some fun hours with Hogwarts Legacy recently though, good to play something that is both beautfully constructed and doesn't take itself too seriously.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

RobYob wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:50 am

Keeping telling myself I purchase Baldurs Gate 3 for my upcoming birthday and really take time to enjoy it. Have great (hazy) memories of 1 & 2 & DLC.

You absolutely should. Easily GOTY for me and I doubt anything will top it. It's brilliant....took me 130 hours to beat it and just when you think it might get stale it throws something new.

Do it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I've not heard a (consequential) bad thing said against it, really, which is a pretty good sign of an all round good game.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I have played the Talos Principle 2 demo and am currently thoroughly enjoying it.

That is all.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:14 am I have played the Talos Principle 2 demo and am currently thoroughly enjoying it.

That is all.
I now have the full version of The Talos Principle 2 and I am current thoroughly enjoying it.

That is all.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I have completed The Talos Principle 2 and it was worth every penny (it's an indie game, £30 or so). Not 100%'d it but completed the main section and finished the story. I'll dip back into it for some of the harder challenges.

The sense of scale in this game is bonkers. Everything is massive and feels like it's miles away, like a real land mass. Genuinely impressive. I'm sure there's some forced perspective or similar camera trickery going on (as you can run around the entire area in a few minutes) but it looks astonishing, and detail is retained close up too (UE5 nanite magix)

Also there's an ingame museum dedicated to cats. With a cat you can pet.

Pretty much the entire game can be played at a steady pace with no real chasing of you, and they got rid of what ruined the last game for me, which was a tool which recorded your actions, that then allowed you to interact with a recording of yourself - I couldn't get my head around that. At all.

Highly recommend it if you want something you can pick and and fiddle with, and assuming you have at least a 'mid teir' GPU - Unreal Engine 5 is a beast, but the payoff is that the fidelity (even on medium) is impressive. Global Illumination is the main frame killer - 'high' and 'ultra' use software ray tracing, which drops FPS by anything from 20-50% depending on your spec.

The soundtrack is also, like the last game, fucking awesome.

I'll shut up about Talos Principle 2 now.

8 cats petted out of 10
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Beany wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:21 am I have completed The Talos Principle 2 and it was worth every penny (it's an indie game, £30 or so). Not 100%'d it but completed the main section and finished the story. I'll dip back into it for some of the harder challenges.

The sense of scale in this game is bonkers. Everything is massive and feels like it's miles away, like a real land mass. Genuinely impressive. I'm sure there's some forced perspective or similar camera trickery going on (as you can run around the entire area in a few minutes) but it looks astonishing, and detail is retained close up too (UE5 nanite magix)

Also there's an ingame museum dedicated to cats. With a cat you can pet.

Pretty much the entire game can be played at a steady pace with no real chasing of you, and they got rid of what ruined the last game for me, which was a tool which recorded your actions, that then allowed you to interact with a recording of yourself - I couldn't get my head around that. At all.

Highly recommend it if you want something you can pick and and fiddle with, and assuming you have at least a 'mid teir' GPU - Unreal Engine 5 is a beast, but the payoff is that the fidelity (even on medium) is impressive. Global Illumination is the main frame killer - 'high' and 'ultra' use software ray tracing, which drops FPS by anything from 20-50% depending on your spec.

The soundtrack is also, like the last game, fucking awesome.

I'll shut up about Talos Principle 2 now.

8 cats petted out of 10
Added the original to my wishlist (and my laptop is probably too old/slow for the second game) - will buy in a sale - still got far too many games I've bought (usually in sales) and not played, plus I want to replay through all the Half life games.

I think the Steamdeck is a great bit of kit, but not really much of a mobile gamer and already got a Switch, so can't justify the cost.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

In other Talos Principal too news the announced OLED upgraded deck looks annoyingly good.

Bigger OLED screen (same rez)
Bigger battery
Revised 6nm processor w lower thermals.
Faster RAM
Higher capacity SSDs

Small price increase.

Still not officially fvcking available in Aus :evil:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I finally had a chance to play on a Deck at work when someone bought theirs in.

It's bigger than I expected and feels a bit too big in the hands if I'm honest (that's what she said, etc). It just doesn't feel very portable and just a bit unweildy. It just feels a long way from what I could consider "portable gaming" but I guess Smartphones have pretty much replaced that.

But obviously that's just me as everyone raves over them!
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:48 pm In other Talos Principal too news the announced OLED upgraded deck looks annoyingly good.

Bigger OLED screen (same rez)
Bigger battery
Revised 6nm processor w lower thermals.
Faster RAM
Higher capacity SSDs

Small price increase.

Still not officially fvcking available in Aus :evil:
I did see that. It'll be marginally faster (no more than 10%) and should have better battery life, along with that nicer screen, faster wifi, etc.

A very well executed mid-cycle refresh.

I can't imagine them doing a major hardware refresh till we see what the next gen Xbox and PS will be running (RDNA4 or whatever) - keeping 'even stevens' with the RDNA2 stuff in XboxWhatever/PS5 was a canny move, as no-ones gonna really go beyond that, feature wise, till the next gen come along.

By that time, a refreshed Steam Deck with native, decent ray tracing and a 1200p panel would seem likely.