Tech Genius Bar

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Tech Genius Bar

Post by IanF »

I’ve just put a LG tv in the Playroom and it refused to recognise the sonus or Xbox series X. I had to update the os on the tv and after much pleading it has deigned to recognise the sound bar (the sonus element), but still adamantly refuses to recognise the Xbox.. I’ve tried to depower and hard reset both, changed hdmi cables and it still refuses to let me watch pr0n.. only joking (that’s later!).. I mean, still can’t play Forza!

Think it’s the tv, and apart from an full-size axe through it, I’m out of ideas; can you geniuses please suggest other (better) ideas..
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Re: Tech Genius Bar

Post by mik »

Our circa 2015 Samsung became funny with the PS4. Had to swap HDMI ports for it to recognise it. It would later fail again, but returning the feed to the original HDMI port sorted it. Which makes no sense at all (other than potentially dirty connectors?)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, some TVs have, for example, one HDMI 2.0 and one HDMI 2.1, one with the remote control gubbins, one not, etc that it might be getting uppity about if the XBox was previous configured to be remotely controllable/was in high refresh rate mode etc so it might be worth...ugh....

....reading the manual :(
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Are you trying to use ARC or anything? Like @Beany says, the ports are probably of different specs, but I'm going to assume you've at least tried the Xbox in all ports...

I'd have thought you'd at least get a signal off the Xbox even if the cable wasn't up to snuff. It's usually when you try to enable HDR, or ARC or specific resolutions that the cable might be at fault.

When I was setting mine up for eARC, I had some random issues with HDMI cables which were all solved by buying a couple of these cables from Apple. Might be a last resort if the manual doesn't help. HDMI cables are not all the same unfortunately.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/H ... 5%252B3058
Cheers,

Mike.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

As Beany said, try a different hdmi port.
Also switch off ‘Cec’ if you can.

Failing that make sure any picture ‘improvements’ are switched off as the auto sensing can sometimes mess up console connections.

TV manufacturers are great at fixing one item on firmware updates but breaking two others -
LG knackered the ARC on my OLED for four months with one update, then fixed it but broke the third party IP Co trip functionality for three months.
Sony are good at releasing firmware that freezes a tv if it’s not regularly used.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Thanks for the recommendations guys.. turned out the third hdmi cable sorted it!

So chuffed, I’ve ordered a LG OLED 65 C36 for the lounge.. delivered Monday 😎 … expect further questions Monday night! 😁
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

I updated the firmware on the telly at the weekend, and it took a hard reset of my PC and a power off/power on of the telly for it to work again.

Same HDMI cables worked fine for the laptop, so I think it was just the telly being a little bitch.

The telly also now has Do Not Track features for cookies...

Modern Technology can get tae fuck.
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:19 pm
So chuffed, I’ve ordered a LG OLED 65 C36 for the lounge.. delivered Monday 😎
So - whadaya think of it?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

They're a great TV - really happy with ours.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:02 pm
I cancelled it after finding it was £130 cheaper at Costco. Unfortunately, I’ve been too busy to go pick one up. Maybe Xmas present? For myself! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:37 pm
mik wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:02 pm
I cancelled it after finding it was £130 cheaper at Costco. Unfortunately, I’ve been too busy to go pick one up. Maybe Xmas present? For myself! 😂
I would recommend that you check the Richer Sounds Black Friday sale.