Harry’s Garage

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by KiwiDave »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:53 pm Tbh I’d probably stick a bmw v12 in something or maybe manual swap a 750i for substantially less.
One of Barry's mates was sticking a 750 V12 in a Caterham clone many moons ago - always did wonder if that ever got running.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:53 pm Inspired by the jaaaag, what’s the cheapest v12 manual you could buy today?

Ropey xjs’ seem to have all vanished but I guess you could get lucky if you were hunting one out.

Manual v12 db7 for £20kish maybe?

Tbh I’d probably stick a bmw v12 in something or maybe manual swap a 750i for substantially less.
If you can find one V12 Toyota Centurys are pretty good value for what you get. The engine is amazing.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I did think all century’s were v12s, would love one, but surprised to find most were v8s.

Doubt you’ll get a manual one though 😁
Cheers, Harry
GG.

Post by GG. »

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1622304

Seems good value given condition and RHD.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Must've been a while since he posted anything worth talking about.

I enjoyed this, the Lagonda is one of my dream garage cars and it's one of the few videos where I still want one after his review :lol:
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I was chatting about these with the chap I know who recently bought the Vanquish just a few weeks ago. Both of us remember seeing them (different ones) looking forlorn, laid up on driveways in the Midlands back in the 1990s. I was a massive fan, having been a kid when they came out looking so futuristic.

Rather amazed that Harry says the final version is the most desirable. I can see that it may well be the version which works, though it was very watered down from the original. The double layer rear lights of the earlier cars and the narrower front lights with pop-ups are so much cooler. I didn't realise how much of the sheet metal had changed for the later cars; the fuel fillers are in the C-pillars in the 1979 car in the video below. The black sills and lower bumper areas make the earlier car look even longer and lower, too.

Also didn't realise how slow they are, but that isn't the real point of them. And you could probably take it up to Vantage tune, or simply stick in a more up to date gearbox - that alone would make it a fair bit quicker.

Such a cool car, anyway, and great to see Harry review it. I don't think he said enough about what it was like to live with for a couple of weeks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Agree that the earlier cars look better, I think it's one like the L322 Ranger Rover where I'd want an end of line model but cosmetically back date it.

Saying that, plenty of space for a couple of turbos where the pop up lights used to be :lol:
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Was also surprised how much was changed on the later ones, I guess they’re such a shocking shape you don’t really see the differences until comparing directly.

But yes, early cars are much cooler, also love them.

I’m sure with modern electronics and small screens it would be relatively easy to make the early dash work properly while still looking original.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Loved the Lagonda at launch, although it was clear it was a bit silly in terms of space vs footprint.

I didn't pay huge attention to the design changes over the years - learned a lot from this vid - and yeah the early cars do look much cooler.

Very cool vehicle, but not sure I'd ever want to own one. 284bhp on the final versions (no idea what the early cars were like) is pretty dysmal though, and 3-speed slushbox was jurassic-spec in the late 80's.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I dunno, pretty sure bmw we’re still using 3 speed autos in the late 80s too.

Autos really were horrible for the most part until the early 2000s I guess that’s why the automated manuals all seemed to come around at the same time in the mid 90s to try and come up with a not shit auto, and were still mostly shit but at least got the manufacturers to decide to make less rubbish actual automatic boxes that had more than a handful of gears.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:59 am I dunno, pretty sure bmw we’re still using 3 speed autos in the late 80s too.
Dunno tbh. A quick google suggests a 1988 735i had a 4-speeder.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, my memory was a bit out. I thought the e30 had a 3 speed all the way through but seems they went to 4 in 85. There was still noticeable lag though some cars still only getting four gears into the late 90s

Wonder if there were any silly tuned ones, I’d imagine so seeing as their main customers were probably in the Middle East.
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:56 am

Such a cool car, anyway, and great to see Harry review it. I don't think he said enough about what it was like to live with for a couple of weeks.
The thin lights remind me of Fry, when he narrows his eyes.

Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

I had a good poke around the coupe at a car event and whilst it looks good - I couldn't see anything that was more dribble-worthy than McLaren offer for £quiteabitless.

And it didn’t sound that great.
Spoiler
220kg heavier than claimed - that's a poor show :evil:
Simon

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

A few weeks? Lucky sod!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Simon wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:50 pm
Thought this one was a bit boring.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:06 pm A few weeks? Lucky sod!
That. And running it on bio fuel by the looks of it (both container and reg plate). And taking it on a sandy (and presumably salty) beach approach. (Nice pic though)
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Good Lord you could buy an F40 for £170k in 2005??