Decent Recent TV

Simon_P

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Simon_P »

Just finished Boiling Point, it’s very good however doesn’t have the intensity of the film from last year and certainly not as good as the Bear.
mik

Post by mik »

Simon_P wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:56 pm Just finished Boiling Point, it’s very good however doesn’t have the intensity of the film from last year and certainly not as good as the Bear.
With the film being “one shot” - there was a really specific “feel” to it that is completely omitted from the TV series. I watched 10mins and it felt so different, I switched off.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I watched 10mins of the series having not seen the film and I turned it off. Pretty dull imo.

Been watching Gen V. Surprisingly ok. I mean it doesn't do anything new if you've watched The Boys - it's a bit The Boys meets classic American college drama, where the grass are played by people clearly in their late 20s or early 30s. But I've found myself keen to watch the next episode.

Just finished DNA last night, on iPlayer. It's primarily Danish but fairly pan-European drama centred on surrogacy in S1 and people trafficking in S2 so it's fairly grim subject matter. Really enjoyable nonetheless though.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Started watching The Reckoning at the weekend. Coogan's Savile is quite creepy, there's a quality to the character which feels disconnected, and I can't decide if that's the acting or whether he's supposed to seem inauthentic.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gavster wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:23 pm Started watching The Reckoning at the weekend. Coogan's Savile is quite creepy, there's a quality to the character which feels disconnected, and I can't decide if that's the acting or whether he's supposed to seem inauthentic.
Was chatting to my sister about this show at the weekend. She watched the Louis Theroux one with Saville before watching the Reckoning and said she's glad she did that as otherwise she'd have just thought Coogan was over-acting and it was too ridiculous to be real. As it was, she was very impressed with the accuracy of Coogan's portrayal.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Self interest to the point of distraction is Steve Coogan's usual bit, seems to fit Saville too.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

The last episode of the reckoning is very creepy and uncomfortable as Savile is old but still trying to pretend he’s relevant. Not to mention the hospital scene… :shock:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought it got more and more uncomfortable with each episode.

[Edit] removed the second sentence out of respect for Matty - even if it was not libellous I don't want him to be dragged through the courts proving it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fringe

The X-files meets, I dunno, NCIS or something. Although rather than aliens it's mad scientists.

Surprisingly watchable, although a large amount of that is down to the cast, a large part of which is John Noble as a mentally ill mad scientist himself with a penchant for heroic, comedic levels of self medication, mostly played for laughs. That man loves his LSD.

It ballet dances along the line of taking itself just seriously/just not seriously enough for the most part. Saying much more would be spoilery, but suffice to say it gets a bit complex from the third season onwards, even more so in the fourth and fifth season.

S5 is a bit underwhelming but wraps things up well enough.

Overall, a solid 6/10 - one to watch when you're waiting for you normal three or four regular series to go between seasons, etc. Definitely worth a look if you like a bit of absurdist scifi with a decent bit of wit about it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:50 pm
Gavster wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:23 pm Started watching The Reckoning at the weekend. Coogan's Savile is quite creepy, there's a quality to the character which feels disconnected, and I can't decide if that's the acting or whether he's supposed to seem inauthentic.
Was chatting to my sister about this show at the weekend. She watched the Louis Theroux one with Saville before watching the Reckoning and said she's glad she did that as otherwise she'd have just thought Coogan was over-acting and it was too ridiculous to be real. As it was, she was very impressed with the accuracy of Coogan's portrayal.
the documentary was sometimes a little tricky to follow where it goes back and forth between current stuff and old footage.

It's like now then now then now then...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fucking hell, you should be ashamed and proud of that in equal measure @Rich B.
tim

Post by tim »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:08 pm Fringe

The X-files meets, I dunno, NCIS or something. Although rather than aliens it's mad scientists.
Blimey, 2010 called! The best thing about Fringe was Anna Torv.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:12 pm Fucking hell, you should be ashamed and proud of that in equal measure @Rich B.
This.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

The Long Shadow, about the investigation into the Yorkshire Ripper. Not bad, let down by the 1974 Jag with Bosch Aerotwins...
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:08 pm Fringe

Surprisingly watchable, although a large amount of that is down to the cast, a large part of which is John Noble as a mentally ill mad scientist himself with a penchant for heroic, comedic levels of self medication, mostly played for laughs. That man loves his LSD.

It ballet dances along the line of taking itself just seriously/just not seriously enough for the most part. Saying much more would be spoilery, but suffice to say it gets a bit complex from the third season onwards, even more so in the fourth and fifth season.

S5 is a bit underwhelming but wraps things up well enough.

Overall, a solid 6/10 - one to watch when you're waiting for you normal three or four regular series to go between seasons, etc. Definitely worth a look if you like a bit of absurdist scifi with a decent bit of wit about it.
Good to hear people are still finding this show, I really enjoyed it. The "monster/mystery of the week" format worked well and the overarching plot was much more cohesive than what the X Files alien stuff became.

I think I'm right in saying that the show was canceled at the end of the penultimate season, so they had to try and wrap things up... only to then get a final series to try and wrap things up again.

The leads are all really good though, John Noble in particular. I think my wife still has the 80s version of the theme tune as one of her ring tones.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, that feels about right, S5 was...fine, but it felt a bit ad-hoc.

The 'alternate' intros are fun, for letting you know what universe/timeline you're in etc
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:35 am I thought it got more and more uncomfortable with each episode.

[Edit] removed the second sentence out of respect for Matty - even if it was not libellous I don't want him to be dragged through the courts proving it.
I had enough of those from Ling.
Anyway, I might be fun. I assume it'll be like an episode of Suits? With people just yelling "What did you just say to me?!"
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Succession

We've just recently started watching this

I'm not sure how I feel about it

Everyone is so hateful, I'm struggling to find something that makes me want to watch more of it

Other than the sheer car-crashness of it all, which isn't all that entertaining...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:55 pm Succession

Everyone is so hateful, I'm struggling to find something that makes me want to watch more of it

Other than the sheer car-crashness of it all, which isn't all that entertaining...
yeah, I thought the same. I didn't care enough about any of the (not particularly well acted imo) characters to make it beyond S1. They way they established Macaulay Culkins brother as bad with the baseball game was particularly clumsy.
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Rich B wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:11 pm
DaveE wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:55 pm Succession

yeah, I thought the same. I didn't care enough about any of the (not particularly well acted imo) characters to make it beyond S1. They way they established Macaulay Culkins brother as bad with the baseball game was particularly clumsy.
Yup, I went through phases of enjoying it to wishing it to end. The disgusting brothers though 😎