Any recommendations for winter tyres?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: Any recommendations for winter tyres?

Post by Gavin »

I am getting two Vredestein Quadracs all seasons put on the Superb today as the ditch finders it came on, have handily worn down a fair bit. Hopefully the backs will be done shortly too. A few discussions on a Superb FB group and the Vredesteins were highly rated, as were crossclimates.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We've got Crossclimates on the Zoe (not even the EV version). Nearly two years and 12k miles in they're still good. Plenty of tread left and they've never struggled.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

I bought these for winter last year, to be used on my 330d x-drive.

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/b2c ... -ts-870-p/

They seem a very soft compound judging by how ‘squirmy’ they were initially, although this might be them bedding in or me needing to adjust my driving style.

The tyres proved fantastic in snow, ice and standing water and would thoroughly recommend.
mik

Post by mik »

mikeyb wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:26 am
They seem a very soft compound judging by how ‘squirmy’ they were initially,
Same for all winters. Even softer tyre versions are available in nordics / Russia etc where it gets seriously cold.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Don't forget to rtfm re pressures.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No idea about regular performance car winters as I've only got experience on 4x4s but you can't go wrong with Michelin if they do them in your size. I think Pirelli are just average tyres with an above average marketing budget.

If you live on an hill which isn't gritted, thaws and freezes overnight then turns into the type of sheet ice you can't walk along without looking like you've soiled your pants then you need proper winter tyres. That's where you find difference with the all seasons - all those additional slits in the rubber open up for proper grip.
How about not having a sig at all?
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

mik wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:35 am
mikeyb wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:26 am
They seem a very soft compound judging by how ‘squirmy’ they were initially,
Same for all winters. Even softer tyre versions are available in nordics / Russia etc where it gets seriously cold.
Absolutely Mik. I was just surprised at the difference. Perhaps the summer RFT that I changed from (as well as the reduction in wheel diameter) exacerbated the problem.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:12 am
If you live on an hill which isn't gritted, thaws and freezes overnight then turns into the type of sheet ice you can't walk along without looking like you've soiled your pants then you need proper winter tyres. That's where you find difference with the all seasons - all those additional slits in the rubber open up for proper grip.
Agreed. When I had winters on the Puma, I was on a backroad and snow came down hard enough to make near zero visibility, so I pulled over in a parking space on an incline, and rapidly regretted it - how was I going to get out of this, was planning how to get home by going back down the hill and taking an alternate route.

Nope, the winters just gripped in about four inches of fresh snow and shrugged off the rest of the snow on the way home like it was barely there. Obviously I wasn't taking risks, but I was perfectly comfortable braking for junctions and roundabouts etc

The all seasons are good, but they just can't do that to the same extent in proper bad conditions.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Not winters but I've had Crossclimates, Crossclimate 2s, and Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons on the V60.

Didn't get stuck in the snow once, and I live up a single track unpaved road in a village which is up a very big hill.

The Crossclimates were softer, and better on Ice than the Goodyear's, but worse in fresh snow.

The Goodyear's were a better all season tyre and had much more grip in summer and in the wet, and also were better through standing water.

I'm going to buy a set of Michelin Alpins for the Kuga for winter as they seem to have good reviews.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:12 amIf you live on an hill which isn't gritted, thaws and freezes overnight then turns into the type of sheet ice you can't walk along without looking like you've soiled your pants then you need proper winter tyres. That's where you find difference with the all seasons - all those additional slits in the rubber open up for proper grip.
That's exactly the sort of scenario we run into multiple times over the winter. We don't live on a main road, so it's never first to be gritted meaning it can be pretty treacherous for days depending on the cycle of when they do manage to grit.

I'm in the fortunate position of having that spare set of wheels, so I can get them on and swap them over as and when winter kicks in properly. Will do some googling today to see what's available in the stock rim sizes.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:16 am
Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:12 amIf you live on an hill which isn't gritted, thaws and freezes overnight then turns into the type of sheet ice you can't walk along without looking like you've soiled your pants then you need proper winter tyres. That's where you find difference with the all seasons - all those additional slits in the rubber open up for proper grip.
That's exactly the sort of scenario we run into multiple times over the winter. We don't live on a main road, so it's never first to be gritted meaning it can be pretty treacherous for days depending on the cycle of when they do manage to grit.

I'm in the fortunate position of having that spare set of wheels, so I can get them on and swap them over as and when winter kicks in properly. Will do some googling today to see what's available in the stock rim sizes.
You could always - y'know - look at the 2nd post in this Fred. :geek:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:39 am
Ascender wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:16 am

You could always - y'know - look at the 2nd post in this Fred. :geek:
Suggestion noted :D

(Work has been crazy for a client pretty much since I posted the question, so am only now getting a chance to actually look at it properly!)
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Very timely
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

What does the forum hive mind say about mixing models of tyres front and back?

Continental do the T860 and the T870. The T870 is newer so comes in bigger sizes, one of those being a 20". Tread patterns are different, but on a similar theme.

T860 - https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/b2c ... ct-ts-860/
T870 - https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/b2c ... ct-ts-870/

Issue is that if I stick with the stock 19 & 20, there's a small market for 20" winter tyres in the UK, so hardly any of the big tyre places stock them, but the 860s and 870s get great reviews.
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I wouldn't have an issue and they'll undoubtedly do the job.

Have you looked at Nokian as they did lots of Porsche fitment winters when I had a 996 and I was so impressed with them I bought them for the later cars as well.
mik

Post by mik »

Agree with Carlos - they will be fine.

Or go with my earlier suggestion for T860S all round.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I just looked for the 911 and doesn't even seem like they do N rated winters in 305 section :?

But you can get 315 section N rated winters... :? :?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:47 pm Agree with Carlos - they will be fine.

Or go with my earlier suggestion for T860S all round.
@mik - they don't do the T860s in the 20" size I need unfortunately (285x30x20). 19" ones are no issue, everyone seems to make them in that size. If I was then to look at selling the 20" wheels and replacing with 19s, the costs spiral, along with the hassle.

No Nokian options and the only other one I could get a set of four in are the Pirelli Sottozerro from one supplier which are £650 each. Some manufacturers do make the 20" ones, but looks like UK companies aren't stocking them. Which makes sense.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

295s (which the T850S is made in) will certainly fit on your rims and make neglibile (less than 0.9%) difference to your gearing. I don't know how close your rear tyres are to the inner arches (outside edge of the tyre) or suspension (inside edge of the tyre) but a quick peek underneath should answer that.

Our F-Pace ran 265/40/22. I put 275/40/22 winters on it as it meant I could fit Vredsteins that were about 60% of the cost.
Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:03 pm the only other one I could get a set of four in are the Pirelli Sottozerro from one supplier which are £650 each.
Or the Hankooks - as per my earlier post.
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:15 pm a quick peek underneath should answer that.
Isn't that against your court order? ;)