EV Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: EV Thread

Post by Rich B »

just seen this clip of a Plaid going 306kmph on the Nurburgring ..😳

What was just as shocking though was it used 11% of its battery on the <1:30 clip!

You probably couldn't even do 2 laps on a single charge...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I watched that twice as first I thought there were jump cuts. Just the first 10 ish seconds the battery jumps down by 2%, then into Aremberg? whilst the car is on part throttle/regen it drops another 3% - eh :?
I've never seen an EV drop battery in chunks like that.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:49 pm I watched that twice as first I thought there were jump cuts. Just the first 10 ish seconds the battery jumps down by 2%, then into Aremberg? whilst the car is on part throttle/regen it drops another 3% - eh :?
The battery capacity calculations won't be entirely in real time, I expect, due to having to calculate capacity across multiple cell packs while under large discharge/charge cycles being shuffled around the battery. Chances are it was adjusting the 'percentage' as a result of having to take half a cell pack out of the mix to ensure reasonable longevity (rather than just drawing all the power out of it at the risk of internal resistance problems down the line) or similar BMS magic.
MattG
Currently Driving: 2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2023 G87 M2 (Incoming)
2023 Mini JCW Hatch

Post by MattG »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:49 pm I watched that twice as first I thought there were jump cuts. Just the first 10 ish seconds the battery jumps down by 2%, then into Aremberg? whilst the car is on part throttle/regen it drops another 3% - eh :?
The rate it piles on speed coming out the corners is mental.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

The full video is in the decent YouTube videos thread - worth a watch. It was crazy seeing how quick the battery drained throughout the course of the lap.

I'm not too sure what happened after a certain point, but it definitely seemed restricted towards the end of the lap, wasn't accelerating anywhere near as fast as it previously had been during the first half or so of the lap. Guessing it had overheated.
Beany

Post by Beany »

PMSL, don't drive your Tesla in a rainstorm :lol:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/ed ... 1697443216
John says he pressed representatives of Tesla on whether he or Rob were at fault for the damage, to which he claims he was told that it was a weather issue.

He continued: “They said that the battery is effectively submerged in water. How can that be our fault?

“After finally getting to speak to a manager, he told me it had water in it due to the fact the weather in Scotland has been so bad. That was the issue. They said it’s not necessarily my fault but it’s not Tesla’s to pay under warranty. He reminded me there was a yellow weather warning in some parts of Scotland.

“I pushed him on this and said I’ve never heard or something like this happening. He said it can happen with Range Rovers and Mercs but I’m just not buying it.

“To date, it’s been a disaster of a service and the stress and worry of this is excruciating. I said to the manager, ‘so, my understanding is, Teslas are unfit for purpose in Scotland?.”
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Something tells me they drove through some flooding and thought they’d get away with it. Just claim on insurance FFS.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, how’s that any different to driving a normal car through a flood and bricking the engine.
I believe with Tesla’s the exterior of the battery is completely sealed but the interior has holes going to the battery pack - so that means the water was high enough to enter the interior through the doors and brick the battery.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Seems odd given Tesla's 'boat mode' claims. I've driven through flood water high enough to create a bow wave and yet to come a cropper.
Probably an interior seal had failed allowing rain to run into the cabin and then into the battery compartment, or the seals around the battery themselves were defective.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This should really be in a moaning thread about how useless the local council are but some councillors spent 5 years campaigning to have EV chargers installed - they proudly unveiled the new infrastructure which would thrust the town into the future. *drum roll please*
That’s it. It’s a pair of what look like 3kv chargers :lol:
Spent 5 years at all their waste of time meetings campaigning to get funding for that. And the cheek to be all proud about it.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Why do you assume that?

Most carpark or destination chargers are 7kw and often 3 phase so up to 22kw!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You are correct fine sir. It is a whole 7kw with one out of service already
…and they cost more than a fecking supercharger!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I went to a Tesla dealership today to have a look at a model Y long range. I have an opportunity to order a new car and Tesla is an itch that I really want to scratch.

Had a good look around and then went with my daughter for an unaccompanied test drive. I really liked it but will take a little time to think it over.

In summary, the seats were comfy and had plenty of adjustment, the hifi was superb and as you'd imagine, it's quiet. The ride wasn't as refined as I expected but it was on the bigger wheels. The UI would take a little getting used to as well. Loads of storage and really practical. There is plenty to like about it.

My daughter was massively impressed by the farting, especially when she used the external speaker in the showroom. She was crying with laughter.

If not this then it'd be the latest 300e msport touring.
Simon

Post by Simon »

50p/kwhr! Blimey.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:35 pm I went to a Tesla dealership today to have a look at a model Y long range. I have an opportunity to order a new car and Tesla is an itch that I really want to scratch.

Had a good look around and then went with my daughter for an unaccompanied test drive. I really liked it but will take a little time to think it over.

In summary, the seats were comfy and had plenty of adjustment, the hifi was superb and as you'd imagine, it's quiet. The ride wasn't as refined as I expected but it was on the bigger wheels. The UI would take a little getting used to as well. Loads of storage and really practical. There is plenty to like about it.

My daughter was massively impressed by the farting, especially when she used the external speaker in the showroom. She was crying with laughter.

As Tesla open up their superchargers to others, their USP goes away. Which means I’d probably go for a Genesis GV60 or Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ionic 5 in preference to the Model Y. I’d still be tempted by a Model S though, but that would have to be used because the current LHD only range is pricey.

And if you’re going used, you’re probably into Taycan or eTron GT territory.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Simon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:40 pm50p/kwhr! Blimey.
I've seen over 70p/kWh :o

Another reason why I'm glad I can home charge.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:35 am
McSwede wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:35 pm I went to a Tesla dealership today to have a look at a model Y long range. I have an opportunity to order a new car and Tesla is an itch that I really want to scratch.

As Tesla open up their superchargers to others, their USP goes away. Which means I’d probably go for a Genesis GV60 or Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ionic 5 in preference to the Model Y. I’d still be tempted by a Model S though, but that would have to be used because the current LHD only range is pricey.

And if you’re going used, you’re probably into Taycan or eTron GT territory.
My choices are limited as it's a company car list. I could get an iX3 or i4 but wouldn't after having an i4 for two weeks. Another 330e is an easy option and the Tesla is the other.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Barry wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:48 am
Simon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:40 pm50p/kwhr! Blimey.
I've seen over 70p/kWh :o

Another reason why I'm glad I can home charge.
I paid up to 80p when I had that i4 for a couple of weeks. It worked out at twice the price of petrol
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Got in a Model S 75d taxi last night. I’d never been in an EV before so asked the driver to give it the beans. He immediately pulled to a stop and did an emergency start 8-)

Wasn’t bowled over, to be honest. I was a bit drunk and it was the lowly 75 model, but still meh.
mik

Post by mik »

240PP wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:17 am Got in a Model S 75d taxi last night. I’d never been in an EV before
:shock: Have you been in a coma for 5 years, with ChatGPT posting in your behalf?