British Ryanairways...

dinny_g

British Ryanairways...

Post by dinny_g »

Going to New York next Saturday for a week (yeah I know - blatant :D ) so it's the first time in years I've booked a flight to the states for a holiday.

I was therefore somewhat surprised when I had to pay extra to sit together (We could have risked it but check in only opens next Friday) and the other half's not a great flier. Besides, I want to sit with my son who hasn't been further than the Canaries before.

£256 for the privilege of sitting together. :evil:

The thing is, if this was included in the ticket price, I wouldn't have noticed it but as a stand alone cost, I think it's all a little Michael O'Leary'ish
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: British Ryanairways...

Post by Gavster »

Wow that's steep!

Enjoy NYC though, great place to visit!

PS the Guggenheim is pay-as-you-wish on Saturdays 5-8pm, the Top of the Rock(erfeller) is cheaper than Empire State and you still get an awesome view, plus the Staten Island ferry is free for a cool view of the Statue of Liberty. Hope they're useful as I found NYC eye-wateringly expensive :lol:. Also if you're around the Upper West Side, then Zabar's is an amazing deli unlike anything we get in the UK https://maps.app.goo.gl/bGmku6iW2wi5gjsy8
tim

Post by tim »

Paid seat allocation for our trip to Miami in December was £488 :shock:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Blimey, I let my wife check us in for the BA flights to the US in June so I will have to ask her how much she paid for us to sit together :shock:

Agree with Gav; prices are silly and the default tips are 20%/25%/30% on the card machines. And agree with his tips although we did go up the Empire State this time, paid a fucking fortune and more to go right to the top and I really didn't feel like I would have missed out by not going. The views from walking over Brooklyn Bridge and from the Staten Island Ferry are much more appealing to me than looking down from a skyscraper.

The Shake Shack in Madison Square Park (in front of the Flatiron Building) is worth going to for a burger if it's not raining. It's outdoors, it's in a great location and the burgers always seemed to be particularly good. Plus there's a Lego store just over the road.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

We went across to the Statue of Liberty island and it was a waste of money, unless you are specifically interested in the history of migrant populations in the city and want to see the museum there. The security checks are tighter than an airport and you end up being so close to the statue that it's hard to take a good photo. Grab a beer on the Staten Island ferry and enjoy the view.

Also, only buy bagels from a deli early in the morning. By lunchtime, or worse, the afternoon, they start going stale. Worth doing just to see how much filling they give you compared to the UK. And Katz's deli is ridiculously expensive and a tourist trap at $30 for a sandwich but it's still a cool place to visit IMO.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I was a bit stunned at some of the costs the wife was telling me about last night after her trip last week to Des Moines.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jeez, I thought paying for seat allocation was something only short haul budget airlines did! Haven't travelled long haul for a few years now, that's fucking annoying.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:51 pm Jeez, I thought paying for seat allocation was something only short haul budget airlines did! Haven't travelled long haul for a few years now, that's fucking annoying.
Is it just a BA thing? I mean they've effectively become a budget non-budget airline haven't they?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:40 pm I was a bit stunned at some of the costs the wife was telling me about last night after her trip last week to Des Moines.
Jesus, someone else who's been to Des Moines :o :lol: Not many people go there - I've been 8 or 10 times visiting Agricultural Equipment Finance Companies - they're all there - John Deer Finance, Agricredit et al.

thanks for the tips - yeah we're expecting things to be expensive. We're going to buy Tourist Passes where you select, 3, 5, 8 attractions etc and it works out about half the price you'd pay on the door. Going to sit down at the weekend and decide which 5.

We also have tickets to the Nicks V Celtics at Maddison Square Garden - they were bloody expensive but it's opening night of the season and a sort of GCSE present for my NBA mad son.
Gavster wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:39 pm And Katz's deli is ridiculously expensive and a tourist trap at $30 for a sandwich but it's still a cool place to visit IMO.
I don't care - I'm a huge Pastrami fan so this is an absolute must. We've also been recommended a Thai place from a mate of my son's (who's from Thailand) called TAO - it's touristy but the food is brilliant and authentic and her New York family eat there all the time. We've also got a Steak place recommended who's name escapes me but to be honest, I'm sort of hoping we can graze on Street Food and food Trucks, rather than have sit down evening meals
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I did Katz's in 2019 and the pastrami sandwich was amazing. It was over $20 then. I think it's nearer $40 now :shock: :shock: :shock:

Still worth having once at least!

Edit: says $27.45 on their website but I'm not sure if it's more in store, plus tax, plus tips etc etc...
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Los Tacos No.1 have a few outlets and they make genuinely great tasting and good value tacos. Worth noting if you need an easy bit in Manhattan for sure!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Keep the tips coming as we're going at Christmas. Also flying BA and haven't booked for us all to be guaranteed to sit together, yet....
Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I got married in New York, don't necessarily do that (even though it was an excellent place to get married!), but definitely do the rest of these suggestions!

It was 34° in august when we went, so I expect a lot of stuff we did wouldn't be so fun in the cold.
mik

Post by mik »

Not been there since the 1st anniversary of 9-11. (Flew on 11-sep and the flights were cheap as chips because irrational paranoia).

Enjoyed the Empire State.

Enjoyed the Intrepid carrier/museum. (I could stare at a Blackbird pretty much all day, even if it is an A12 as opposed to an SR71). They have a Concorde now too.

It's out of season anyway, but I was disapointed by The Beast as most of the Hudson is speed limited.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:44 pm I did Katz's in 2019 and the pastrami sandwich was amazing. It was over $20 then. I think it's nearer $40 now :shock: :shock: :shock:

Still worth having once at least!

Edit: says $27.45 on their website but I'm not sure if it's more in store, plus tax, plus tips etc etc...
I was there in 2018 and I don't remember Katz being absurdly expensive, they do give you a very large chunk of pastrami!

I went on the Circle Line (boat) both times I went to NYC, also seemed good value and enjoyable.

I didn't feel like NYC was silly expensive in general though so maybe a lot has changed since 2018.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:09 pm
duncs500 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:51 pm Jeez, I thought paying for seat allocation was something only short haul budget airlines did! Haven't travelled long haul for a few years now, that's fucking annoying.
Is it just a BA thing? I mean they've effectively become a budget non-budget airline haven't they?
Nope, lots of airlines so it now.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Complete thread hijack/

Any decent but not completely off the scale expensive NYC restaurant recommendations for a celebration are most welcome. Appreciate that could be a big list but if you have a 'you really gotta go to...' place then let me know
I like steak. Kids like steak too. My wife's a veggie but, hey, it'll be my birthday, not hers :)
Left over crest; tightens.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Artichoke Basilles pizza is a must if you like pizza, I go every time we go. Best NY pizza I've had.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

They charge, because they can. Always compare bottom line price and not initial sector cost.

I’ve just landed back today.. I’m back on Tuesday and Sunday next week.

Couple of recommendations/updates - Concorde has been removed from Intrepid for some tlv but there’s a space shuttle there instead plus a nuclear sub moored next to it.

Pic from my suite on the 40th floor yesterday.. that’s Hudson Yards, in particular the Edge is really impressive views (triangular viewing platform on 101st floor) but to avoid paying the $40 each, make a reservation at the Peak bar which is also on the 101st floor and you get to wander around anyway. You can climb/abseil to the absolute peak if you’re a nutter! There’s also the Vessel and High Line start point that are worth a visit in Hudson Yards. Lots of bars/restaurants and the basement Spanish zone is a really good, much more reasonably priced in the mall there.

Friedmans is a good chain for breakfast or lunch. I’ve plenty of bar/restaurants recommendations from $4 beer and free hotdogs in Rudy’s to $50 cocktails in some impressive hotels/bars.

I’ll be staying next to MSG on Sunday.. Avenida is an okay bar next to it and there’s a few decent Irish pubs nearby..

Grand Central has an amazing deli area and Moynihan Train hall food court is very good. Wholefoods is the best supermarket and always has a good selection of cafes inside.

Walk the perimeter of the island of Manhattan, there’s a great run/cycle way around most of it that enables some spectacular views. You can borrow canoes for free in the Hudson side around Pier 19.

Weather is changeable currently and always feels colder in the shadow of all the buildings.
Attachments
IMG_4240.jpeg
IMG_4240.jpeg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
Cheers,

Ian