The slippery slope of Chinese goods

Mito Man

The slippery slope of Chinese goods

Post by Mito Man »

I know someone who works for a department store, goes abroad to China and India a few times a year, negotiates deals with sweatshops to make items of clothing with their branding on. Told me that everything he gets from China is available on Temu but without the branding. Hmm. I'll give it a try.
Bought a pair of trainers for £8 and a torch for £6. Can't find the trainers now but this was the torch I think
https://www.temu.com/uk/3x-led-high-bri ... zcl6tzuaan
The prices fluctuate massively and you get a silly big discount code when you first join.

So the torch, it's about 1000 lumens in reality, has a 18350 battery included (which costs the same as the torch if bought here), USB-C and it's solid aluminium. Used it about 2 hours and hasn't died yet. Impressed. I remember someone on here asking about USB-C torches but none were in budget back then and I wasn't aware of this website.

The shoes, well trainers, got these last week and then walked all over the Peak District, Snowdonia and Liverpool. About 50 miles adding up the days on my iPhone. They're a clever design and you just slip your feet in, pull the laces tight (don't actually do them up) and they stay tight!
Still look like new. Impressed.

Only downside is shipping takes 1-2 weeks but the price you pay is the final price. No shipping added or duties etc.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: The slippery slope of Chinese goods

Post by IanF »

Almost as quick as their cars are showing up! 😂 if you go to the markets in mainland China, you can get some amazing deals..

Even cars tbh, eg the Byd Seal is the first car that has acceptable looks, VW has already chopped design>production times by 18 months to try and keep up with the Chinese… There’ll be a mahoosive wall of all of them before the Europeans release the next over the air software update on a current car!
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I actually saw a BYD hatchback today, in RHD. Didn’t realise they were sold in the UK.
It actually said “Build Your Dreams” on the lightbar 😂

They’re probably solid cars for the $15,000 they cost in China but I wonder how overpriced they end up here.

Edit - looked it up, hard pass at £40k!
https://www.carwow.co.uk/byd/atto-3#gref
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've started seeing Telly adverts for them.

I'll be honest, I had to google them...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Can you get shoes that don’t look like an old man’s armchair?
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I thought this was a thread about

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:43 am Can you get shoes that don’t look like an old man’s armchair?
The website is basically like Amazon or EBay, so yes, you can find any shoe style you want as there’s 1000’s of sellers on there.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I had a look at the website. This is my favourite thing so far:

a221ff54adf77704aeac22926160748b.jpeg
a221ff54adf77704aeac22926160748b.jpeg (27.9 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Washed my car today and noticed my microfibres getting a bit tatty for cleaning the interior.
https://www.temu.com/uk/3-5-10pcs-extra ... eewxg25gcc
Let's see how the quality is. Pretty sure 99% of this is the same crap sold on Amazon at a 400% markup.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Partner discovered Temu last month, parcels seem to arrive weekly! All seem to be good quality stuff. Loads of knock off Lego on there and some decent looking kits that Lego don't do as far as I know.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:48 pm Washed my car today and noticed my microfibres getting a bit tatty for cleaning the interior.
Let's see how the quality is. Pretty sure 99% of this is the same crap sold on Amazon at a 400% markup.
Of course it is! 90% of everything I look at seems to be the same items sold by a variety of different sellers under weird and wonderful names.

Lots of branded stuff it all made in the same places just with different colour plastics and a different badge.

I actually need to stock up on small general cleaning microfibres. My Amazon basics ones are almost out!
Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:48 pm Washed my car today and noticed my microfibres getting a bit tatty for cleaning the interior.
I needed two motion led strips for wardrobes.. Temu was more expensive than Amazon for the exact same items, plus there was a delivery charge. (Even used the same pics on both sites! 😁 )
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I forgot about this and was wondering what the random delivery was :lol:
10 x microfibres at 77p - actually feel nice, slightly thinner pile than the Kirkland ones and they are smaller however they are lint free. I don’t know what happened with the Kirkland ones as my last batch have so much lint that I couldn’t see out my car window at night after cleaning the glass!
Cap - £1.75, fits my nugget and it’s good.

Tshirt - £4.85. I don’t know why I bought this. Not even that cheap either. I can’t even think of someone to give this away to at Christmas 😂
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

IMG_1060.jpeg
IMG_1060.jpeg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Sr71 knock off lego. 183 pieces, quite a few of them are bespoke pieces, all went together ok, some pieces taking more pressure than Lego but still went together. Canny sized thing too at 17”x9” longest x widest. At £13.49 an absolute bargain
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Very poor selection of tweed.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

jamcg wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:24 pm IMG_1060.jpeg

Sr71 knock off lego. 183 pieces, quite a few of them are bespoke pieces, all went together ok, some pieces taking more pressure than Lego but still went together. Canny sized thing too at 17”x9” longest x widest. At £13.49 an absolute bargain
Linky please 8-)
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://share.temu.com/z96Glf6BL0A

It’s from Temu so the price will change daily
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This was linked below the SR-71 for me :lol:
https://www.temu.com/uk/1pc-funny-man-c ... zkf5grw7tn
Euphemisms galore!