Bye Bye Sunak..

duncs500

Re: Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:56 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:40 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:32 pm

Let's be clear - wars don't happen because of religion. They happen because of people, and our tribal nature. If religion didn't exist there'd still be wars. Religion is just one of the many tribes to which people ascribe themselves.

And in this case, how much of what is happening is because of territory, rather than religion? And that's before you get to what the role of Iran and other co-agents is in this particular recent situation.
Of course, probably poverty is a big factor in this case too, but religion just seems like the least logical reason, an easy justification, and a tool to enable it. I think without religion people would have to search a lot harder to come up with a reasonable justification.
Sadly you're wrong on that front. Look no further than gangs, racism, football hooligans, school shooters, and a myriad other reasons people decide to kill others. There's no reasonable about it, it doesn't come into it at all. It is about a gradual dehumanisation of "the other" to the point that the attacker can justify their actions to themselves.
I didn't say it was the only one, but it is represented on a scale that your other examples don't come close to. I don't think it's reasonable to just say I'm wrong, it's my opinion at the end of the day.

A fair percentage of football hooliganism is built along religious lines as well.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:02 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:40 pm

Of course, probably poverty is a big factor in this case too, but religion just seems like the least logical reason, an easy justification, and a tool to enable it. I think without religion people would have to search a lot harder to come up with a reasonable justification.
Sadly you're wrong on that front. Look no further than gangs, racism, football hooligans, school shooters, and a myriad other reasons people decide to kill others. There's no reasonable about it, it doesn't come into it at all. It is about a gradual dehumanisation of "the other" to the point that the attacker can justify their actions to themselves.
I didn't say it was the only one, but it is represented on a scale that your other examples don't come close to. I don't think it's reasonable to just say I'm wrong, it's my opinion at the end of the day.

A fair percentage of football hooliganism is built along religious lines as well.
Apologies, I think you're wrong. I also think that part of it is the level of coverage. I'm not making any excuses for religion, but take it out of the equation and it won't fundamentally change anything. People will find other reasons.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:24 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:02 pm

Apologies, I think you're wrong. I also think that part of it is the level of coverage. I'm not making any excuses for religion, but take it out of the equation and it won't fundamentally change anything. People will find other reasons.
My counter point is that some people will find other reasons, but there are few other areas where people are so powerfully indoctrinated from birth, which is a powerful thing IMO.

I was brought up a certain religion quite lightly, and even though I don't believe in it whatsoever certain parts of it remain there somewhere in the back of my psyche in some capacity. So I can imagine it can do real damage in more extreme circumstances.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

You're right about the role it plays, not saying otherwise. But if you could remove it, people would find something else to be equally passionate about. It is in our nature because it is a crucial part of the formation and maintenance of identities. Some people will lean towards extremes and use whatever it is to justify their actions.

It may not happen quickly, but it will happen because it is part of how we understand and navigate the world.
Last edited by DeskJockey on Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Fair enough. Believe it or not, I'm not here to argue. I don't like what's happening there, I'm saddened that's there doesn't look there'll be a way out of the viscous circle any time soon, but my views certainly aren't important on any of it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm not suggesting you are, I was offering my view in a conversation. What is going on is horrendous and as I said earlier there will be no good outcomes or winners. We can but hope that hostilities cease quickly before too many more are hurt or killed.

The scars of what is happening will be added to a long list on both sides, and will further entrench hate and hostility for decades to come.
---
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

News Agents podcast head over heels for Starmer's conference speech relative to Sunak's.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Time to start buying wasteland on the outskirts of towns!
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

His idea for Green Belt isn't actually a bad one at all.

We do need to tackle the thorny issue of Green Belt if we want to build sustainably - not revisiting a national land use policy decision that was made 60 years ago is utter madness.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

True, but lots of people have bought property with the understanding that there won’t be any properties built on the green belt land; expect lots of legal challenges!
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

They're already building on the green belt land around around me. In fact, around my local area almost every direction you go there are large housing developments. Some of them are good, some not so good. There's only one that I've not really been happy about, because it was all trees and greenery near my house and they've ripped it all down.

I guess my other concern is whether local infrastructure (mainly schools) will cope. We've got to wait another couple of years to get ours into the village school and it would be annoying if all the (very limited) places get taken by kids from the new developments and we have to travel miles to take her to school. :|
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

IanF wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:56 am True, but lots of people have bought property with the understanding that there won’t be any properties built on the green belt land; expect lots of legal challenges!
Tough shit :lol:

It makes no sense that people that live in other non-Green Belt rural towns and villages have relatively less protection from development than those that are well off enough to afford to live on the outskirts of urban areas (i.e. in the Green Belt) with the economic and infrastructure benefits that they enjoy.

And, just to be clear, undeveloped rural land is not necessarily geen belt. The amount of land in the UK that is Green Belt is relatively limited:

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:18 am
IanF wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:56 am True, but lots of people have bought property with the understanding that there won’t be any properties built on the green belt land; expect lots of legal challenges!
Tough shit :lol:

It makes no sense that people that live in other non-Green Belt rural towns and villages have relatively less protection from development than those that are well off enough to afford to live on the outskirts of urban areas (i.e. in the Green Belt) with the economic and infrastructure benefits that they enjoy.

And, just to be clear, undeveloped rural land is not necessarily geen belt. The amount of land in the UK that is Green Belt is relatively limited:

I went on the interactive map on "CPRE" (assume that's accurate?), my whole village is surrounded by official green belt and there's a few developments on the green belt area so it can't be that difficult to get permission under the current system anyway!

I can see you're passionate about this Swerv, it's almost like you've got some sort of interest in more development happening... :lol: ;)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The development around Market Deeping has forgotten about the need for Doctors and schools and other things so is proving a big pain.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It'll be interesting to see how much Labour relax planning. For years we've had a bit of a sticky situation in the woods. Local village wants a bypass road and the best way of doing this was through the woods however they admitted as such that it won't be popular going through an ancient woodland but the greater issue was that to fund the £100 million road they would need to build around 5000 houses, essentially wiping out the entire woodland.
So Covid happens and talks start again and a more suitable location is now deemed to be some farmland as it's easier to stick a road and 5000 houses there. I'm hoping they get a move on and approve it before Labour get in :lol:

As for the villagers they are furious and feel betrayed. They thought they would get a £100 million road solely to serve their population of a few thousand people, which is frankly laughable.

The real solution wouldn't cost more than a few grand. All the traffic is because the road through the village has parking along side it for some old houses which reduces the road to one lane - give the people there off street parking in the council owned field/playground opposite their houses, remove the stupid traffic calming road blocks and stick a 20 mph camera. But you say that and they look at you all offended. So enjoy your new town built on your doorstep.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:18 am It makes no sense that people that live in other non-Green Belt rural towns and villages have relatively less protection from development than those that are well off enough to afford to live on the outskirts of urban areas (i.e. in the Green Belt) with the economic and infrastructure benefits that they enjoy.

I was intrigued to find that the place we're moving to isn't in greenbelt because it's in the middle of the countryside, unlike where we currently live which is just outside Cheltenham. However the planning restrictions seem to be greater at the new place because the hurdle developers have to cross to have land removed from the greenbelt seem to be easier than the hurdles they have to cross to develop a field in the middle of nowhere - the infrastructure isn't there in the sticks, so a housing estate is a no-go, whereas greenbelt tends to be developable in practice because it's around a big settlement.

To respond to Mito, it is not easier to put a decent quality road and other infrastructure to a field miles from the nearest town. It is easier to build on the edge of the town. And that land is more likely to be designated as greenbelt.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:57 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:18 am It makes no sense that people that live in other non-Green Belt rural towns and villages have relatively less protection from development than those that are well off enough to afford to live on the outskirts of urban areas (i.e. in the Green Belt) with the economic and infrastructure benefits that they enjoy.

I was intrigued to find that the place we're moving to isn't in greenbelt because it's in the middle of the countryside, unlike where we currently live which is just outside Cheltenham. However the planning restrictions seem to be greater at the new place because the hurdle developers have to cross to have land removed from the greenbelt seem to be easier than the hurdles they have to cross to develop a field in the middle of nowhere - the infrastructure isn't there in the sticks, so a housing estate is a no-go, whereas greenbelt tends to be developable in practice because it's around a big settlement.

To respond to Mito, it is not easier to put a decent quality road and other infrastructure to a field miles from the nearest town. It is easier to build on the edge of the town. And that land is more likely to be designated as greenbelt.
You're absolutely right Simon - I was being fairly simplistic with what I said. And your latter point is absolutely on the money. That said, we've had a few sites which have fallen flat just fundamentally on the grounds of the green belt issue, despite sitting on the edge of an area that has seen recent development, including a couple of sites which arguably lie within any perceived development boundary. And whilst the issue can be overcome, a lot of the time there's a good chance that decision will ultimately lie in the hands of a planning inspector at Appeal, because it's easier for local planning committee members to object to save political face, even if they know an Inspector will decide against them.

The problem with Green Belt is that it's held up as some sort of sacrosanct land (which was, tbf, the point) and any arguments based in logic can often go out of the window when the GB issue is waved. The Greater Manchester Spatial Framework or Places for Everyone as it now is has been in development for so many years I can't recall when it actually started, and it's been hobbled by the GB issue throughout - areas taken out of the GB, >public outcry and political drum banging > areas back in the GB and so on - even Boroughs pointing fingers at each other if one perceives that another is copping for less GB removal. The consequence for areas like GM is where do you go next? These areas should be the focus of population expansion and economic growth, so should you really be artificially constraining them based on the decision of politicians 60 years ago when the UK was a very, very different place?

The usual response of course is "brownfield land should be developed first" which is, in theory, absolutely correct. But who foots the bill for remediation of brownfield land? If it sits with the developer, and that site no longer stacks up economically, then the site will sit vacant. The only way to shift that blockage is for some sort of local or national brownfield land remediation fund to be setup, with the Country just accepting that if we want to minimise development on GB or open countryside, we have to stump up to ensure brownfield sites can be redeveloped. But there'd be a public outcry if it was seen that texpayer's money was in any way being used to facilitate development.

The other aspect is that there is a lot of GB land out there that's very low quality, and in that regard Starmer's proposal makes complete sense. There's a site near us that forms part of the Timperley Wedge GB area (surrounded ironically by development on all sides) which was home to a garden centre and other light commercial uses for years - but the prospective redevelopers have nevertheless still had to make the case for exceptional circumstances as, at a basic policy level, it would still represent development in the GB. That's exactly the sort of site that should be earmarked in land use policy terms for development.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:51 am I can see you're passionate about this Swerv, it's almost like you've got some sort of interest in more development happening... :lol: ;)
:lol:

Tbh DUncs, I just like to see development happening in the areas where it makes the most sense. And in the middle of nowhere is not that.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:10 pm
duncs500 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:51 am I can see you're passionate about this Swerv, it's almost like you've got some sort of interest in more development happening... :lol: ;)
:lol:

Tbh DUncs, I just like to see development happening in the areas where it makes the most sense. And in the middle of nowhere is not that.
Yeah, that's true. I think for me it's about how appropriate it is. If you have a small picturesque village and you plonk a massive estate on one side of it, it doesn't fit with it and it totally undermines the existing population's reason for living there. If it's a more modern bigger village, or extending a normal town then it's not really a big deal whether it's a bit green or not.

Our village is fairly big and only the centre is really pretty, so a couple more small or medium estates on the edges don't seem out of place (although there's no need to build on the rural land with mature trees IMO, there's plenty of farmer's fields that would be a better choice).

We live in a new build as it happens, but it's only 19 homes that were built over a crappy little industrial estate so my conscience is clear! :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks like Rishi has either found a pair or someone is applying pressure from a different angle, but Cruella is being booted out, and not a second too soon.

I wonder if it took so long because we couldn't find anyone worse.
---