Your fleet running reports

V8Granite

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by V8Granite »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:18 am I like the idea of a GL but I'd want a 420/450. Big cars need big torque and that's where a big turbot diesel excels. Also the fuel consumption is slightly less horrific.
My issue with the 420D was when pressing on it never used the torque, it always dropped down the gears too much. It would be a better car with the old 5 speed box if they geared it properly.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:27 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:08 am I’d like a C7 RS6 but it isn’t as practical for the dogs
I discovered last weekend that the boot opening width on an A6 Avant is a good few inches smaller than my old E39 and E61 5-series Tourings. Was planning to move a bookcase I've had since about 2010 which fitted in the boot when I bought it then - but it's about 4" too wide to fit in the S6. I consoled myself that the Audi's bodyshell must be much stiffer :lol:
It’s crazy isn’t it, the waste inside the boots of modern cars.

I must have about 30 litres of cavity filled with a small first aid kit, the same on the other side with a small fuse box.

Also, boot floors appear to be getting higher.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:56 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:49 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:33 pm On the way back down from Manchester the Galaxy ticked over 120k miles. Cooling issue is resolved, and it continues to be an effortless (if scruffy) family bus.
You've been paying us a visit eh Alex?
All colleague conference. There and back in 24 hours almost to the minute. But I'll be visiting the Manchester office regularly in future, so there will hopefully be opportunities for a beer or two.
Was it in the centre Alex? Just wondering if it was how you got on with being in the car. I've only been into Manchester once in about 4-5 years now and I bet I wouldn't have a clue if it came to trying to navigate round it by car.

Possible opportunity for a future Norvern meet by the sounds of it 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:08 am I remember one of the crap aspects of the MPSS was that they perished quickly.
That doesn't look like perishing to me - looks like enthusiastic-roundabout scrubbing.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:14 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:27 am
V8Granite wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:08 am I’d like a C7 RS6 but it isn’t as practical for the dogs
I discovered last weekend that the boot opening width on an A6 Avant is a good few inches smaller than my old E39 and E61 5-series Tourings. Was planning to move a bookcase I've had since about 2010 which fitted in the boot when I bought it then - but it's about 4" too wide to fit in the S6. I consoled myself that the Audi's bodyshell must be much stiffer :lol:
It’s crazy isn’t it, the waste inside the boots of modern cars.

I must have about 30 litres of cavity filled with a small first aid kit, the same on the other side with a small fuse box.

Also, boot floors appear to be getting higher.

Dave!
I haven't yet encountered the higher boot floor issue - though I have got to the point where spare wheels aren't there so that's probably the same thing really. Hate those Merc hybrids with the battery pack which makes the boot floor a few inches higher though.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:10 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:49 pm

You've been paying us a visit eh Alex?
All colleague conference. There and back in 24 hours almost to the minute. But I'll be visiting the Manchester office regularly in future, so there will hopefully be opportunities for a beer or two.
Was it in the centre Alex? Just wondering if it was how you got on with being in the car. I've only been into Manchester once in about 4-5 years now and I bet I wouldn't have a clue if it came to trying to navigate round it by car.

Deansgate area. Compared to London it wasn't bad, I'd prefer the train, but that wasn't an option this time round.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:14 am
I haven't yet encountered the higher boot floor issue - though I have got to the point where spare wheels aren't there so that's probably the same thing really. Hate those Merc hybrids with the battery pack which makes the boot floor a few inches higher though.
This is Jaguar's "solution" for the F-Pace if you select the full-size-spare option :roll:

compared to std
Last edited by mik on Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Buy a Galaxy! Even with the third row of seats in, the boot is bigger than most new build properties.
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:26 am

Deansgate area. Compared to London it wasn't bad, I'd prefer the train, but that wasn't an option this time round.
Yeah I guess all things are relative. :lol: Yeah, sadly the trains have become utter garbage, and yet Avanti have been rewarded for their garbage with another long term contract. Yay!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:36 am
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:26 am

Yeah I guess all things are relative. :lol: Yeah, sadly the trains have become utter garbage, and yet Avanti have been rewarded for their garbage with another long term contract. Yay!
Ignoring that they do suck, the issue (this time) was the unpredictability of my wife's working hours. Couldn't guarantee I'd be able to make a specific train, so driving made sense.
---
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

So my car is an ungrateful tw*t :evil:

After all that work fitting the new gearbox bush I finally went for a quick drive. Gear change definitely better. Got to Sainsbury's, bought snacks for tonight, came back to the car and the ABS & traction lights immediately came on (and stayed on). Driving home the gearbox system warning (which confusingly uses the same symbol as the engine cover open warning) went on & off a few times. Came straight home, put it on charge in case that was the problem, had a coffee, and now it won't even bloody start, behaving as if the immobiliser is not deactivating.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

My car is simply a tw*t.

Having left it to think about its behaviour, and whether it’s appropriate to do that when someone has just been very kind to you and given you a nice new gearbox mount, it now works fine again.

It’s like dealing with a child :lol:

Other news, the two Cayenne tyres I reseated are both holding air perfectly.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yeti is back from repairs after its brush with a wooden post, looking fixed and, as a bonus, shiny. Good service from Solus in Basingstoke. The Corsa courtesy car had too-light steering and typically Vauxhall unsupportive seats (imo) but I enjoyed trying out a heated steering wheel and my daughter enjoyed the heated seats.
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ooh, heated steering wheel. It’s one of those things that sounds like a silly novelty but is actually really nice to have.

Today I’ve done this so I can work under the car without obstructing the jacking points. Spare set of ropey E36 wheels I was going to scrap but couldn’t bring myself to do it because “they might be useful”. And they are !

IMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_2329.jpeg (163.33 KiB) Viewed 534 times
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I want a heated steering wheel for the x5, but finding one that’s not in awful condition doesn’t seem to be easy!
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:19 am No new vice either.
Got vice ! Record No 24 from eBay, fairly local, £60. Makes my old one look like a toy :lol:

36.5kg

IMG_2334.jpg
IMG_2334.jpg (126.13 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:11 pm I want a heated steering wheel for the x5, but finding one that’s not in awful condition doesn’t seem to be easy!
Are they cheap enough to warrant buying and retrimming?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

One of my guys left the business a couple of weeks ago so I collected his car from him in Glasgow. He had a 69 plate BMW X1 18 S-drive m-sport and I had pretty low expectations. Happy to say it's been great though.

We had a Yeti years ago and I loved that, and this feels like that kind of thing. Loads of space, goes better than expected and has the 8 speed auto which is excellent. The front seats are brill and it's a comfy thing to smash out some miles in. The wife is already pestering me about swapping the 320d for one 😂
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:11 pm I want a heated steering wheel for the x5, but finding one that’s not in awful condition doesn’t seem to be easy!
I want one for the 330 as well but I think on the E9x it was a US only option. I need to do some more digging

First dry day since a week ago so have managed to get out and get some zinc primer on the arches. Now just need to decide whether to paint it or just spray wax it - the BH Electrox instructions say to leave it 96hrs before applying any solvent based coating. Hence tempted to just spray wax it tomorrow and get the arch liners back in. Would be interested in other people's opinions.

Also managed to tackle the areas around the tailgate strut mounts. Will primer tomorrow. N/s again was much worse than o/s - not sure why that would be

I may need to pop the tailgate lights out as well.as it looks like there may be some crust in there as well.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

jamcg wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:26 pm
Are they cheap enough to warrant buying and retrimming?
Possibly, but not totally convinced, a £100 wheel suddenly becomes a £250 one, and I’m not sure how easy / hard they are to retrim.

I definitely don’t want one trimmed over the top like most as I wouldn’t want the rim any thicker, plus I’m very fussy and most of the aftermarket ones I’ve seen use a leather that’s more a very dark grey than a proper old bmw black.
Cheers, Harry