Aston Martin Vanquish review

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Aston Martin Vanquish review

Post by Jobbo »

I had a go in this very Vanquish S today: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/200 ... vanquish-s - featured in Evo and on Top Gear since it was the press car. Only a passenger seat review, and in a 30 limit for a couple of miles back from lunch.

It's rather lovely. I really thought a Vanquish would seem somewhat primitive now but inside the materials make up for the Volvo heater vents. The seat was both comfortable and supportive, it smelt great and it sounded fantastic (we may have exceeded the speed limit briefly to hear it :lol: ).

Genuinely it is a car that I'd like to get in and drive to the other end of Wales or Scotland. It felt right. While I've always been a fan of the Vanquish's looks I did not expect to love the car that much. The owner loves it too and he has a 458 Speciale, a 993 and various other interesting vehicles. He took the Capristo off his 355; I had to mention you doing the same to your 360, @Sundayjumper :lol:
speedingfine

Re: Aston Martin Vanquish review

Post by speedingfine »

£60k for a flagship Aston Martin seems a good price tbf. Not sure about the seat colour but the exterior colour is certainly very nice 👍 What kind of 993 has he got?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m not sure about his 993 - it’s due back from titivation later this month. He’s owned it for a long time. He did have two but sold one this year.
GG.

Post by GG. »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:58 pm £60k for a flagship Aston Martin seems a good price tbf. Not sure about the seat colour but the exterior colour is certainly very nice 👍 What kind of 993 has he got?
I think these are essentially pegged lower by the price of DBSs which are a better car all round, much better built and can be had for not much more (plus also some higher mileage manuals for around £70k). And the later Vanquish as well I guess.

I've never had a drive in either (though have driven a standard DB9) - I expect the older Vanquish is possibly a more comfortable / better GT than the DBS.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Very jealous. Will this be instead of an MX5 then? :lol:

I got the impression from reviews at the time that it was on the more ungainly end of GT cars, but glad you had a good time with it.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Instead of an A110 perhaps :lol:

If I have a car in the garage which doesn't get used that much, I guess it would be better for it to be a classic which shouldn't depreciate rather than a new car which will. Wonder how much more or less reliable a 20yr old Aston would be than a new Alpine?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:04 am If I have a car in the garage which doesn't get used that much, I guess it would be better for it to be a classic which shouldn't depreciate rather than a new car which will. Wonder how much more or less reliable a 20yr old Aston would be than a new Alpine?
In terms of a car that sits in the garage and doesn't get used much, my Vantage has been impeccable. Some minor niggles when I first got it, then a failed rear light cluster two years ago. That's everything that's happened in just over six years.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That looks rather nice actually. I didn't think I was an Aston person but I will have to revisit that after liking the Vanquish so much.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:20 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:04 am If I have a car in the garage which doesn't get used that much, I guess it would be better for it to be a classic which shouldn't depreciate rather than a new car which will. Wonder how much more or less reliable a 20yr old Aston would be than a new Alpine?
In terms of a car that sits in the garage and doesn't get used much, my Vantage has been impeccable. Some minor niggles when I first got it, then a failed rear light cluster two years ago. That's everything that's happened in just over six years.
How many miles have you done SJ?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I don't even need to Google it to worry about the running costs of a V12 Aston. They still look great though.

Also....I mean....£60k is well into LC500 territory.

/predictable
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:47 pm How many miles have you done SJ?
Not sure if rhetorical ;)

But I’ve just checked anyway. The MOT on 31 July 2017 when I bought it was at 24,646 miles. It’s now showing 29,156 miles, making 4,510 in total including however many miles it did between the MOT station & me collecting it from the dealer.

I did use it fairly regularly at first, even if it was just taking it to work on a Friday. I blame COVID and working from home ever since.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:00 pm the running costs of a V12 Aston
But Mondoes are cheap to run and it'll just be twice the running costs of one of those.